LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
The great myth of LC eating.

I see it here, all the time. The idea that a LC woe, and or diet, depending on how you approach it, will give you big weight loss fast. And no matter how many of us DON'T experience "fast" weight loss on a LC woe, and post such here regularly, the myth lives. And it tends to make everyone who is only losing a lb a week or every two weeks, or three weeks or whatever, feel like they're being left out of the success train.

I won't tire y'all out by what has been posted here endlessly, except to try to lasso it up in brief points.

1. ALWAYS, ymmv.

2. Many experience a big drop upon beginning a LC woe, and this is due mostly to water weight. But no small number do not experience this.

3. Some are lucky and continue to lose fast.

4. Some must be patient. Weight loss slows down and we must move from immediate gratification to belief in what we're doing.

5. It's not all about weight loss, it's also about our health, and for those who have read up, we know that cutting our carbs is a very good thing, regardless of what the scale says or how fast it moves.

6. Many of us will have to be satisfied with and believe in the Tortoise, and its ability to win the race.

7. There is NO silver bullet for weight loss and better health.

8. Don't set your goals and expectations on the basis of others. Learn from them but don't assume you can be them.

9. Every inch of progress we make is important, even if it seems to pale in comparison to others' success.

10. Freaking hang in there. Don't expect a miracle. Give this thing a go, and that means MONTHS of trial and error for most of us, at the very least.

Since I believe every good list ends at #10, I'll stop here, but I could go on. Day after day I see disappointment and doubt here, as well as victories. But I do note that the victories that really speak to me are those that check in on their first year anniversary and well beyond. Those that have hung in there, experimented, explored, failed and succeeded. And thank God, there are so many here to tell us that story.

I say this all as much to myself as I do to y'all. I am not invulnerable to unrealistic expectations---although more w/my heart than brain---and I too have had my struggles and doubts at 5 months in and counting. I have also had LARGE rewards that might not always show on the scale.

Today Garlic referred to a term NSV, that I and others on his thread did not recognize. Turns out it means NON SCALE VALUE. At least I think I've got this right. That idea has been discussed here hundreds of times in hundreds of ways. But I really like the short hand---NSV!

I have found in my life, and I'm NO spring chicken, that persistence trumps almost any talent or strength I have. Persistence wins, in my experience, almost all the time---as long as what you are persisting in is a winnable battle, AND, if you have the patience for it.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
NSV means non scale victory.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Words of wisdom.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I co-sign everything you say, especially the part about learning as much from the failures as from the successes. I feel as if I have taken a graduate course in LC dieting on this board.

Great post.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
NSV means non scale victory.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post!
I knew I didn't have it exactly right, but close enough. And Ntombi, I always depend on you for your knowledge and common sense. You almost always get it right, and not just about what NSV means. Don't want to embarrass you, but time after time you say so much w/so few words. Cheers, dear.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I co-sign everything you say, especially the part about learning as much from the failures as from the successes. I feel as if I have taken a graduate course in LC dieting on this board.

Great post.
Exactly, and me too on the "graduate course in LC dieting on this board." And I too, over and over again in my life, have learned more from my failures. My successes have been sweet, but I can't think of a one of them that came BEFORE a failure or two or more. Failure is hard, but SUCH a good teacher, if you're open to its lessons.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
It took me 13 months to lose 100 lbs, and I've kept it off for 7 months so far. I'll take that as a victory, even if I never lose another pound.

I'm just as guilty as the next person for obsessing over the numbers too much sometimes, so I do understand. I'm lucky in that I physically CANNOT eat carbs or sugar, or my blood sugar will rise. My diabetes is a built-in control for me, because I categorically will not ignore taking care of it. I'm too scared not to!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Well, since I was referenced, I feel good, like I have fit in here.

I agree with pretty much everything in the OP, and am living the Tortoise life, it seems.... I admittedly am having issues with that even though so much else has changed for the better in just under 4 weeks. The only thing I disagree with on a personal level is that the food is all yummy. I feel like I am getting a fat overload, and some of these foods just seem too rich for me.

I'm not a fan of butter.

As I have come from a low fat WOE, this stuff is not normal eating for me. And I can't possibly convey how much I missing eating a bowl of my homemade stewed tomatoes, and it will only get worse as my tomatoes ripen in my garden.... I grow all heirloom tomatoes, and they are just awesome! And I used to eat 2 bowls at a time, a few times a week.

And, regarding #10.... I agree, but then again, I have to agree... eating this way seems to be helping my diabetes tremendously.

That was a great post Blue Skies.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It took me 13 months to lose 100 lbs, and I've kept it off for 7 months so far. I'll take that as a victory, even if I never lose another pound.

I'm just as guilty as the next person for obsessing over the numbers too much sometimes, so I do understand. I'm lucky in that I physically CANNOT eat carbs or sugar, or my blood sugar will rise. My diabetes is a built-in control for me, because I categorically will not ignore taking care of it. I'm too scared not to!
Well, 13 months and a loss of 100 lbs is to me, an absolutely stunning victory.What's even MORE stunning is you've kept it off for 7 months so far. If I ever get to my goal, I'll have A LOT to learn about maintenance and I'll be looking to folks like you for inspiration.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Victories are in the eye of the beholder. like sexyness and other abstract ideas.
Yes it is true some of us newbies get impatient with the scale, especially if it does not collaborate like in my case. But I understand the concept of the post and I agree with most of it.
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post

I agree with pretty much everything in the OP, and am living the Tortoise life, it seems.... I admittedly am having issues with that even though so much else has changed for the better in just under 4 weeks. The only thing I disagree with on a personal level is that the food is all yummy. I feel like I am getting a fat overload, and some of these foods just seem too rich for me.

I'm not a fan of butter.

As I have come from a low fat WOE, this stuff is not normal eating for me. And I can't possibly convey how much I missing eating a bowl of my homemade stewed tomatoes, and it will only get worse as my tomatoes ripen in my garden.... I grow all heirloom tomatoes, and they are just awesome! And I used to eat 2 bowls at a time, a few times a week.

And, regarding #10.... I agree, but then again, I have to agree... eating this way seems to be helping my diabetes tremendously.

Oh, you SO fit in here. I have been following your posts, and I love your openness and your courage. From one slow loser to another, I understand your struggle. And I am also inspired by your enthusiasm and your earnestness.

And on the tomatoes thing, OMG. You won't find a gal more understanding than me. One of the great delights of every summer, for me, is walking into my garden WITH a salt shaker, LOL, and plucking a just ripened tomato from its stalk, and eating it right there, feet in the dirt, juices dripping down my face.

But here's the thing. IMO. You CAN enjoy your garden fresh tomatoes. Maybe not bowls at a time, but enjoyment is not all a matter of volume. I will not give up garden fresh tomatoes, because I won't be able to maintain that. So...I'll have to find out how much volume I can afford. That's the "personal journey" part where we're all alone to find out what works for us and what doesn't, no matter what others say.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Bravo blue skies!

I personally like #5 the best as for me it had to be a lot more than just weight loss.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Bravo blue skies!

I personally like #5 the best as for me it had to be a lot more than just weight loss.
clackley, as far as I can tell from your posts, you are a great example of not only #5, but every other point I brought up. Particularly #10. You hung in three, and now we all profit from hearing about your journey. And thanks to you and others here, we know it CAN WORK over the long haul, and very well.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ha, ha! I am most certainly an example of how it might not go as hoped. - at least in the weight loss dept!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I've been at this five years, and am officially at the bottom of the clothes in my closet. Everything is getting looser. If I'd quit six weeks into it, in 2008, I'd never see the success I know now.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I concur with #5 as well
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Quote:

**THIS**

The real victory is in not gaining it back!
Hmmm, in all fairness though, I guess I can say that about any diet / Woe plan... One can loose excess weight in a myriad of ways, but the hard work really begins afterwards...Not to scare anyone off

Last edited by wastednuffime; 06-19-2013 at 05:05 AM..
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Really really really good post.

Signed, Tortoise
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Good post Blue. IT ROCKS!!

this means alot to me: 4. Some must be patient. Weight loss slows down and we must move from immediate gratification to belief in what we're doing.

AHHHh, that instant gratification. Love it when the loss slows, the temptations kick in a little bit, the whole '''in love with the new way of eating and killer motivation''' start to wain---then it is time to remember that WE MUST HAVE BELIEF IN WHAT WE ARE DOING.

love that statement you wrote!!!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nera
Stats: 260/158/135
WOE: Atkins girl all the way!
Start Date: March 2006
I so needed that today! Even though I have been at this for years, I currently reinducted after a slow weight creep overtook me. I had an 11 pound loss in 14 days and was ecstatic. Now - no loss not one pound in 7 days. I know all the statistics like "after a large initial dump (of mostly water) there is always a body settling phase and is to be expected, etc. But it is still discouraging to eat perfectly for seven days and nothing.

So thank you so much for putting my brain in check. I know better and I am going to print your list and put it on my fridge!!
nera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am destined to be a tortoise, too, an old one at that.
Good reading this morning.
I really agree with the part about the homegrown tomatoes . . . they are one of life's pleasures to me too. I don't mind foregoing the grocery store ones. But I may well be tempted in mid august after 7 or 8 weeks of staying on plan. A breadless blt will likely be a planned treat for me.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
It's tough because we live in a society that is 1. hyper and 2. obsessed with thinness. The two issues you address in your posting Blue Skies. Everything needs to be faster and faster. Fast cars, fast computers, even fast food! And then to add insult to injury, we need to be thin and FAST! The media is constantly bombarding us with images and statements about how to lose weight this way or that way. Don't have the time? Weight loss surgery!! You can even use your credit to pay for it!

So it is no wonder people are discouraged. A LC WOE is not a fast-fix and you have to "keep your eyes on the prize" even if it months or years away!
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Awesome post. This is going on my fridge for daily reminding words of wisdom!
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post

I'm not a fan of butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Oh, you SO fit in here. I have been following your posts, and I love your openness and your courage. From one slow loser to another, I understand your struggle. And I am also inspired by your enthusiasm and your earnestness.

And on the tomatoes thing, OMG. You won't find a gal more understanding than me. One of the great delights of every summer, for me, is walking into my garden WITH a salt shaker, LOL, and plucking a just ripened tomato from its stalk, and eating it right there, feet in the dirt, juices dripping down my face.

But here's the thing. IMO. You CAN enjoy your garden fresh tomatoes. Maybe not bowls at a time, but enjoyment is not all a matter of volume. I will not give up garden fresh tomatoes, because I won't be able to maintain that. So...I'll have to find out how much volume I can afford. That's the "personal journey" part where we're all alone to find out what works for us and what doesn't, no matter what others say.
Love love love garden fresh tomatoes. I may not touch tomatoes in the winter, but I do eat them all summer. I can't wait for the first really good tomatoe to have a really good delicious dinner of BLTs. A big lettuce leaf full of bacon, fresh tomatoe and mayo is so yummy. Messy but yummy. If I'm not in to messy I just make a BLT salad mixed with mayo. I may not eat as many summer tomatoes as I used to, but I never gave them up and they never caused an issue.

And if butter bothers you don't eat it. Get your fat from things that don't bother you. Make guacamole with the good fat from the avacado and those summer tomatoes.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Had a long hard day at work, and it was great to come home to such nice comments. Thank you guys for allowing me to feel I was helpful. Now I'm going to do what some others here have said they're going to do --- put my own darn list on MY refrigerator. I have hard days too, and I'm not always so at peace w/these things.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I see it here, all the time. The idea that a LC woe, and or diet, depending on how you approach it, will give you big weight loss fast. And no matter how many of us DON'T experience "fast" weight loss on a LC woe, and post such here regularly, the myth lives. And it tends to make everyone who is only losing a lb a week or every two weeks, or three weeks or whatever, feel like they're being left out of the success train.

I won't tire y'all out by what has been posted here endlessly, except to try to lasso it up in brief points.

1. ALWAYS, ymmv.

2. Many experience a big drop upon beginning a LC woe, and this is due mostly to water weight. But no small number do not experience this.

3. Some are lucky and continue to lose fast.

4. Some must be patient. Weight loss slows down and we must move from immediate gratification to belief in what we're doing.

5. It's not all about weight loss, it's also about our health, and for those who have read up, we know that cutting our carbs is a very good thing, regardless of what the scale says or how fast it moves.

6. Many of us will have to be satisfied with and believe in the Tortoise, and its ability to win the race.

7. There is NO silver bullet for weight loss and better health.

8. Don't set your goals and expectations on the basis of others. Learn from them but don't assume you can be them.

9. Every inch of progress we make is important, even if it seems to pale in comparison to others' success.

10. Freaking hang in there. Don't expect a miracle. Give this thing a go, and that means MONTHS of trial and error for most of us, at the very least.

Since I believe every good list ends at #10, I'll stop here, but I could go on. Day after day I see disappointment and doubt here, as well as victories. But I do note that the victories that really speak to me are those that check in on their first year anniversary and well beyond. Those that have hung in there, experimented, explored, failed and succeeded. And thank God, there are so many here to tell us that story.

I say this all as much to myself as I do to y'all. I am not invulnerable to unrealistic expectations---although more w/my heart than brain---and I too have had my struggles and doubts at 5 months in and counting. I have also had LARGE rewards that might not always show on the scale.

Today Garlic referred to a term NSV, that I and others on his thread did not recognize. Turns out it means NON SCALE VALUE. At least I think I've got this right. That idea has been discussed here hundreds of times in hundreds of ways. But I really like the short hand---NSV!

I have found in my life, and I'm NO spring chicken, that persistence trumps almost any talent or strength I have. Persistence wins, in my experience, almost all the time---as long as what you are persisting in is a winnable battle, AND, if you have the patience for it.
Well put Blue Skies! This should be a sticky for all of us who get frustrated now and again.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
So true! (All of it!)
Its been 6 month since I lost a pound but never have I thought to stop...stop what? This woe makes me feel amazing and in control. It has become pretty effortless now so even though I am not 100% at goal I got this!
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Great thread!
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
It really is a case of YMMV and not comparing your journey with someone else's. That is a sure way to depress yourself and give up.

Even though it's taken me a number of years to get to my goal, it was not due to the diet. It was due to me not sticking consistently. I did drop weight quickly on low carb.

My first 70 lbs came off in 3 months. Then I got lazy and started eating too many carbs. Fortunately, I didn't put the weight back on, but I stopped losing. At some point I got serious again...sort of...and lost another 40 pounds but it took close to a year. Then I got serious and dropped another 30 pounds in 2.5 months (I think). My last 35 pounds came off in 3 months.

I consider all of the above *fast* weight loss because I was dealing with insulin resistance, low metabolism, not exercising at all and post menopausal. However, except for the year of 'sort' of, I was pretty strict about what I ate. Absolutely no cheating or taking a break. I weighed and logged everything and I ate clean...meaning protein and vegies. No 'diet' stuff like Atkins bars, etc.

So it is possible to lose quickly...but maybe not for everyone and it's not about how quickly anyway. It's just steadily moving forward.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote