Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: realwinner
Low Carb or Gluten Free?

This time around I have been eating a little differently and would like to hear if any of you have had similiar experiences.

Instead of being so strict and just eating low carb, I have allowed myself to have lots of fruit and also corn tortillas. As a matter of fact I have been making myself some delicious tacos several nights of the week.

Usually I make them with ground beef that I have added some delicious seasonings to, along with cheese, tomato, onion, avocado, cilantro and taco sauce.

I've also had an occasional potato.

But I have absolutely avoided flour products, bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, anything with gluten in it.

I think because I am having as much fruit as I want and having the gf corn tortillas I am extremely satisfied. The weight is coming off, my mood seems to be on an even keel, no cravings, and my arthritis and aches and pains have diminished.

I know that everybody is different, but I'm personally seeing a lot of success with this modified way of LC.

I will add that I try to eat home-prepared or quality food if I'm eating out. Not using much of any packaged foods, all fresh if possible.

This is working for me. Your thoughts?
realwinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Sounds like a gluten free diet to me! I tend to gravitate towards a similar diet while on maintenance. It works for me for maintaining but unfortunately I cant lose on it. Not more than a few lbs anyway. However, if its working for you that is great! Keep it up!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Yep. Sounds gluten free to me. A lot of ppl have a great deal of success just giving up wheat and white starches. Good luck with it!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
some people are lucky enough to be able to lose like that. it would be terrible for me. just do what you can.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Of course you will lose weight eating gluten free as you have eliminated the high calorie and high sugar/starchy foods that include flour! Gobs of people can lose weight like this! I think you will be quite successful as long as you don't move towards "gluten-free" products such as gluten free pastas, breads and flours as a regular part of your diet. Those often contain even more sugars and starches than regular flour and really add up!
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
This is almost exactly what I am doing. No sugar other than that in fruit. No wheat/gluten/starches. Unlimited fruit and veg besides bananas potatos ect. For dinner meat/eggs/cheese and fat to fill me up for the night with more veg. No fake food or replacement food. Lots of water. Today is day 21 have lost 13. Seems to be working great for me, I have been super happy and full. Mind fog cleared in the first week off of wheat. TOM was much better this go round and acne is better too. My attitude has been much improved. You can message me if you want, would love a comrade in arms!

Last edited by MichelleHu; 06-19-2013 at 01:41 PM..
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Hi Michelle:
Congrats on the good work. You and I are eating a bit differently though, I'm having a banana daily and occasional potato. I think the bottom line is that we each need to discover what works for each of us individually. I used to love to eat chocolates every night. Now instead I have a dessert that I make with sliced bananas, covered with cream cheese and hwc whipped together with vanilla and liq splenda, then toasted sliced almonds on top. Tastes like banana cream pie to me, and much better for me than the handfuls of reeses peanut butter cups I was eating before! :-) I'm happy with how things are going.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everybody for your input. I usually start my day with fresh watermelon or honeydew and eggs. Then it's usually all very low carb meats, eggs, cheese, veggies. Exceptions are the fruit, corn tortillas, occasional potato, and my faux banana cream pie dessert.

I also avoid all sodas, gf bread, etc.

Last edited by realwinner; 06-21-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

For lower carbs switch out the banana slices in the dessert for sliced strawberries. Very delicious, too.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
when it comes to weight loss Whatever works for you is fine.
As I got closer to goal I had to be stricter, but that was only for the last
few pounds.
just keep doing what you are doing.
Oh, and to answer your question, I am both.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/161/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8 2013
I'm low carb AND gluten free. My husband recently went gluten free and found it nearly eliminated his lifelong need for asthma meds, so, we definitely won't be giving that one up!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
I'm doing pretty much the same thing, though I don't overdue it with the fruit. I do allow myself the Sara Lee delightful bread though for the occasional sandwich - Other than that I eat very little gluten. It's great no more aches and pains when I get out of bed in the morning.

I too love those corn tortillas - The Mission extra thin tortillas are awesome and I make tacos one night of the week every week.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote