LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/192/120
WOE: Keto/leaning primal
Start Date: September 2012
I need some advice about calories

I have been trying to figure out a decent calorie range to eat daily. There's a lot of conflicting advice out there, and the standard calorie ranges for weight loss isn't based on a low carb diet.

When I first started induction, I " ate until full" , which ended up being between 1800 and 2100 cals a day. I was eating 15 grams net carbs ( still am) and excercising on a recumbent bike six days a week for 30 min. Since then I've added resistance three times a week on top of the bike.
I was losing about a lb a week like that, so I did a fat fast at1200 cals a day for four days to rev things up. I lost about a lb a day, so I decided to try hflc and cut my calories a little. I've been averaging 1500 cals a day for the past three weeks, with an occasional high day of about 1800 cals, usually on the weekend. And, while I can deal with it better because of the higher fat content, I find that I spend most of the day hungry, especially on the days I do resistance.

Whew this is rambling. Sorry! I guess I want to find a calculator or something to tell me how much I should be eating per day given my diet and level of excercise, which I think is fairly high. Oh! I forgot to say that I've been doing one hundred squats a day, and eighty crunches. Okay, I'm bragging about the excercise lol. I used to be a couch potato, so I'm pretty proud of myself.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No one can really tell you that, you'll have to continue with your trial and error.

But keep in mind that weight loss isn't consistent, no matter how many numbers you crunch or how consistently you eat. If you find something that works for you most of the time, keep at it, and you'll keep losing fat.

Be careful not to overdo the exercise. Past a certain amount, it can be counterproductive for weight loss.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/192/120
WOE: Keto/leaning primal
Start Date: September 2012
Yeah, I guess I should have suspected that..for once, wouldn't it be nice if something in life came with a set of assembly instructions? Sigh.
I've been carefull to increase the excercise gradually, and I find I really enjoy it. I'm diversified, but I don't go to extremes in any particular area. I will go carefully with it, though. Thanks for the advice!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
so true about having to find your own way...and what works for you now may not work for you later so you'll have to experiment some more to find what your body wants.

It seems to be a continuous process for so many of us. I long for the days when I could choose a diet and it would just WORK and keep working. Now I have to reassess what I'm doing every couple months or so as my body changes. It's a hassle, but worth it in the long run.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I will say that simply following the rules of Atkins induction works for me. I don't count anything but carbs, though I try to be conscious not to overdo protein, and it works for me.

I'm certainly losing more slowly than I did when I first did the plan 12 or so years ago, but I'm also older, sicker, hypothyroid, and less mobile. But eating only what's allowed on the induction foods list still works for me.

At some point down the road, I may have to be more stringent (or at least count!) with my calories, but not yet, and I certainly see no need to complicate things before I need to.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote