LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The straight dope on cholesterol...

For an current understanding of what your lipid panel #s mean to your health. this is the man.This link is to a youtube of Dr. Peter Attia speaking at the Ancestral Conference just this past February. I think it is a great way to spend 40 mins. of time and aside from the missing slides, a really great talk.

clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Thanks Clackley! Really appreciate this as I'm trying to learn and understand more about this, particularly as it pertains to Low carb eating, AND as it may pertain to all the old, incomplete, or downright misinformation out there in the nutritional medical field.

Have your read "The Great Cholesterol Myth" and if so, would you recommend it?
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

I have not read it but have heard of it. There are many notable people with some pretty amazing scientific brains that are challenging the science or better put - understanding the science.

I believe it is important that people understand that the 'conventional wisdom' that we hear in our day to day lives(and at many dr.'s offices) is based on a hypothesis and is not a proven science. It appears that it has been misunderstood on some pretty important levels.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Thank you for posting this. My goal this summer was to study and learn as much as I could about cholesterol. I go back to the dr in August and I feel certain he will want to subscribe statins. I want to be able to discuss it intelligently rather than just say, "Well, you can subscribe them, but that doesn't mean I'll take them."

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
All the books by Uffe Ravnskov are good; his newest is "Ignore the Awkward."

Malcolm Kendrick's book, The Great Cholesterol Con, is also very good. He also has one on statin damages that is next on my reading list.

For me, the bottom line is that there is NO WAY I will ever take statins...there is NO research out there showing a positive impact on women over 50, yet statins are pushed like crazy. Actually, there are many studies showing that women with higher cholesterol live longer and healthier lives. One problem with statin studies is that they don't look at overall mortality or if taking a statin actually improves or extends your life. While there is a very small subset of people with heart disease that are helped by statins, the majority are not, yet statins have become more common than aspirin.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Thanks. Now I just have to find a few 40 mins to sit and watch. I just got my cholesterol results from my doc. I have been given terrific results and know it is because of my low carb (hence high fat) eating. I love my fats!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
See, here is the thing..... just about any doctor or scientist or food scholar can make a convincing case that what they preach is what works and what is best for people. I know I can be swayed. But then again, I bought into a low fat, high(er) carb WOE for my first 44 years of my life, and what did it get me?

1. A six artery bybass

2. diabetes

3. 326 pounds

4. 1000's of extra dollars spent on "big men's" clothes

5. Shame and ridicule

6. Very high cholesterol and trygcerides

So, now, all I can go by is what I have experienced in the last almost 4 weeks:

1. More energy

2. Lessened hunger

3. Smaller waist even though no pounds lost yet.

4. Lower blood sugar levels.

and, hopefully, in September, I will find that my cholesterol and triglycerides will have come down significantly.... and then I will likely find myself preaching to the masses about the guys who wrote Wheat Belly and The Diabetes Solution.... ( well not really preaching, but surely giving my opinions to anybody who asks )
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
All the books by Uffe Ravnskov are good; his newest is "Ignore the Awkward."

Malcolm Kendrick's book, The Great Cholesterol Con, is also very good. He also has one on statin damages that is next on my reading list.

For me, the bottom line is that there is NO WAY I will ever take statins...there is NO research out there showing a positive impact on women over 50, yet statins are pushed like crazy. Actually, there are many studies showing that women with higher cholesterol live longer and healthier lives. One problem with statin studies is that they don't look at overall mortality or if taking a statin actually improves or extends your life. While there is a very small subset of people with heart disease that are helped by statins, the majority are not, yet statins have become more common than aspirin.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
No need to step off that soapbox but do know that you are preaching to the choir!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Thanks. Now I just have to find a few 40 mins to sit and watch. I just got my cholesterol results from my doc. I have been given terrific results and know it is because of my low carb (hence high fat) eating. I love my fats!!!
I have very good #'s as well. Triglycerides are low and HDL is out of range slightly (on the high end of course) and LDL in the 'normal' but it wasn't always this way. I was on statins for about 5 yrs and when I got a clue, got off them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
See, here is the thing..... just about any doctor or scientist or food scholar can make a convincing case that what they preach is what works and what is best for people. I know I can be swayed. But then again, I bought into a low fat, high(er) carb WOE for my first 44 years of my life, and what did it get me?

1. A six artery bybass

2. diabetes

3. 326 pounds

4. 1000's of extra dollars spent on "big men's" clothes

5. Shame and ridicule

6. Very high cholesterol and trygcerides

So, now, all I can go by is what I have experienced in the last almost 4 weeks:

1. More energy

2. Lessened hunger

3. Smaller waist even though no pounds lost yet.

4. Lower blood sugar levels.

and, hopefully, in September, I will find that my cholesterol and triglycerides will have come down significantly.... and then I will likely find myself preaching to the masses about the guys who wrote Wheat Belly and The Diabetes Solution.... ( well not really preaching, but surely giving my opinions to anybody who asks )
It is a really great video in that it helps to understand what the #'s really mean and what they really don't indicate.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Clackley,

All I am saying is believe who you want. I am sure other doctors might say something that doesn't match up 100% with any other doctor. I'm not mocking anybody at all. All I am saying is that we choose to believe who we choose to believe.

I had a "renowned" doctor at the University of Pennsylvania, put me on a low fat, medium carb diet, because he thought that was the nest way to go. I bought into it.

I will watch the video when I can.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Garlic, I totally understand and I certainly believed what my health care providers said to me for most of my life. The thing that has changed over the past few years is that I have learned to question and interpret what constitutes good and not so good science. It is not a belief system but rather a system of 'show me the science'.