Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with this saying... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806273-anyone-familiar-saying.html)

SadieJack 06-17-2013 10:29 AM

Anyone familiar with this saying...

Eat breakfast like a king
Eat lunch like a prince
Eat dinner like a pauper

abby! 06-17-2013 10:39 AM

Sure am familiar . Almost did me in. lol If I eat breakfast like a queen, I'm eating all day. No matter what I eat, low carb or not, i get hungery if i eat breakfast. I've found it's an individual thing. Trying to incorporate breakfast because it was drilled in me that it was the most important meal of the day, I ended up gaining weight. I've found that as long as I keep my calories at a certain number ( I watch carbs and cals), it doesn't matter when I take them in. I also found that longer fasting periods are beneficial for me so the later I take my first meal, the better. Everyone is different though. Also there's the added social aspect...I like saving my calories for the social meals which tend to be dinner I can enjoy with friends.

ravenrose 06-17-2013 12:10 PM

yes. that is sure a bad idea for diabetics and probably people with insulin resistance. our metabolisms are far less efficient early in the day. I can certainly see the benefit of a very strict breakfast, your bigger meal for lunch, and another smaller one at night, though.

Mistizoom 06-17-2013 12:15 PM

I agree with the PP's, a small breakfast (Atkins shake) followed by a reasonable lunch and supper is working for me. I do have insulin resistance.

mimivac 06-17-2013 12:48 PM

I have heard it, but do not follow it. Just doesn't work for me. The later I eat, the better. Usually will do a cup of tea with cream for breakfast, a very big lunch, and a small (or no) dinner. So, it's basically a pauper for breakfast, an emporer for lunch, and a pauper for dinner.

Ntombi 06-17-2013 01:47 PM

Heard it. Doesn't work for me.

avid 06-17-2013 02:02 PM

Breakfast is usually my biggest meal.
Lunch is always my smallest, more of a snack actually.
Dinner may or may not be as big as breakfast.

momov2boys 06-17-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16474274)
Eat lunch like a prince
Eat dinner like a pauper

This SO does't work for me...
I always do best eating only lunch & dinner!
*With coffees before lunch & wine after dinner. ;)

Spanilingo 06-17-2013 04:11 PM

I eat the most at breakfast!! Most my calories at breakfast. Often I eat dinner foods for breakfast light lunch and pick at dinner .

SadieJack 06-17-2013 04:15 PM

I think this would be a better way to eat... but I cannot make it work for either. I do skip lunch a lot though. Big breakfast and big dinner.

rubidoux 06-17-2013 04:41 PM

I wonder if it works for most of the rest of the world, but not for us carb addicts. I have been really happy and successful eating one big meal at night. The last couple of weeks have been hard and my appetite has felt more intrusive. So today I had some guacamole w pork rinds early in the day, which I normally find very sating, and I have still been feeling like I want to eat. I feel like its bc I ate that I want to eat more, but I might have felt that anyway.

I have read that there's a theory among IF'ers that you should eat most of your calories in the evening bc that's when people were more likely to eat back in the day (paleo, or some prehistoric time, lol). Maybe if we adopt the theory we won't feel like we should be following someone else's schedule.

rndiane 06-17-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Eat lunch like a prince
Eat dinner like a pauper

Yes, I have heard of it and the last time I heard it was on the Dr Oz program approx. a year ago. He was talking about losing weight at the time.
I think this saying is aiming at the higher carb type meals so people would eat the higher calories(carbs) before dinner and burn the calories off during the day.It wasn't associated with any diet plan.

ouizoid 06-17-2013 05:48 PM

I think most of the world has a large meal at midafternoon. Wherever I have travelled, people seem to eat a coffee and pastry in the morning, a large meal midafternoon and just a small something in the evening (unless they were going out).

GME 06-17-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16474880)
I think most of the world has a large meal at midafternoon. Wherever I have travelled, people seem to eat a coffee and pastry in the morning, a large meal midafternoon and just a small something in the evening (unless they were going out).

My grandma called this dinner and supper. She would fix a big meal in the early afternoon and then something like biscuits and milk in the late evening.

I think we got away from this practice when people stopped working at home on the farm.

onceagain54 06-17-2013 09:03 PM

Doesn't work for me either...I eat when I am hungry and don't when I'm not...

Trigger828 06-18-2013 04:36 AM

Yup. Heard of it.

Some days I eat exactly like that and it works.

Some days I change up my eating pattern, and it works :)

I tell ya I can change my eating pattern every single day. I don't follow any 'way to eat' thru a day. There are a ton of reasons I like to change up my food thru the day. That is just the way it falls for me. No telling how my day will fly. So a scheduled eating plan mostly doesn't work. Eat when hungry and when I can :)

Leo41 06-18-2013 04:43 AM

I think a lot depends on your personal biorhythms and lifestyle.

I am extremely carb sensitive, but I've been eating like this for years--and throughout my weight loss, too. Breakfast is my main meal of the day, and it is very high protein--about 40g. I think it's the protein that keeps me satisfied.

I have two small snacks later in the day, and am usually finished eating by 3 pm.

However, I am naturally a 'morning person,' and I live alone, so I can manage my own meal times.

This works for me, and I feel best eating this way.

Aleina 06-18-2013 05:21 AM

I would say that it might work for preventative eating so as not to put on weight before insulin resistance kicks in. Here in Argentina it is still somewhat the case. Lunch is the big affair and dinner smaller although it is changing . I would aslo contend that the reason why it worked had to do with the wholeness of foods which we don't have anymore.

It would be interesting to see where these patterns are still adhered to and compare obesity levels. South Italy, France, Mexico, Spain all of South America come to mind. So you see it is not food that makes us fat. It is speaking English:hyst: .

On a serious note though it is painfully evident that the largest weight increases can be seen in the lower income populations as soon as cheap white refined stuff becomes available .

MaryMary 06-18-2013 06:52 AM

Leo41, we miss you over on the 4th July Challenge. How have you been?

scalestepper 06-18-2013 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=Aleina;16475247][SIZE="3"]

So you see it is not food that makes us fat. It is speaking English:hyst: .

:lol::lol::lol:

avid 06-18-2013 07:51 AM

When I started to eat a big breakfast, my late night food cravings went way down.
Strange but true.

Spanilingo 06-18-2013 08:06 AM

I really don't think it is a matter of when you eat but "what you eat" and "how much you eat"

I also think "when you eat" might be dependent on what you do for a living. Physically demanding jobs might require different eating patterns.

I am extremely active at work. I don't think I would have the energy to teach without a good meal.

DD80 06-18-2013 08:19 AM

This actually works the best for me. If I eat a good breakfast, I'm much less hungry later in the day. I, like LEO above, am usually done eating quite early in the day. I'll eat my "dinner" around 3-4pm. I also do best with a high protein meal with fat - like 2 eggs with veggies and sausage.

Tiffany62590 06-18-2013 08:49 AM

Breakfast is usually a bad idea for me - even if I had fasted the entire day before, when I wake up I'm never really hungry, but as soon as anything goes into my mouth the hunger kicks in. I find I feel great if I wake up, go for a run, and then have lunch around midday. My ultimate preference though is to fast all day than eat a big dinner, I find it's emotionally and physically the most satisfying, and keeps me from raiding the fridge at night (which I will do in a practically sleep-walking state).

Arctic_Mama 06-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16474427)
yes. that is sure a bad idea for diabetics and probably people with insulin resistance. our metabolisms are far less efficient early in the day. I can certainly see the benefit of a very strict breakfast, your bigger meal for lunch, and another smaller one at night, though.

That's exactly what I do - light breakfast, huge lunch, snack for dinner. Works best for me for satiety and energy.

Sharon 06-19-2013 06:14 PM

I've heard it many times. In fact, I don't like eating anything after 5 p.m., too.

Chuck41 06-20-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Eat lunch like a prince
Eat dinner like a pauper

Don't work for me. Big breakfast and I am starved by noon. Without, I am fine until mid-afternoon.

My wife preaches it even though she has lived with me for 40 years and should know it doesn't work for me by now. I find a big meal at lunch to mid-afternoon and a snack for dinner works best for me. Just coffee at breakfast time or I will be eating all day and gaining weight.:dunno:

I think that one might be like, "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." When he coined that one Old Ben didn't know about "YMMV".

CauliflowerPizza 06-28-2013 08:29 AM

Yes, and am more satisfied doing it in the opposite order.

I try not to eat breakfast until 11am (2 egg whites & 1 cup vegetables or a carb control shake) lunch between 3 and 5pm (large salad with 1 teaspoon blue cheese crumbles, 2 teaspons olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic plus the 2 egg whites & 1 cup vegetables if I didn't have that for breakfast) and dinner between 7 and 8pm ( 5-7 oz lean meat & 2-3 cups vegetables) plus, a carb control shake for a 9pm snack. If I eat too early, I am starving by noon and I find that I am more motivated when I know that I will have a larger meal to look forward to at the end of the day. Plus, my husband has the metabolism of 10 children, so he eats a hearty dinner and I don't want to feel left out!