Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
ERnurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11
Gallery: ERnurse
Stats: 277/217/170
WOE: Low Carb/Extended Induction
Start Date: July 2012, restart 3/4/13
Great Value HWC has changed! Beware..

I picked up a carton of Great Value HWC yesterday at WM, and noticed they had changed the design of the carton. The old carton was white with red lettering, this is red with white lettering. The packages were the same "Heavy Whipping Cream, Grade A, pasteurized" so I just assumed it was new redesigned packaging. Boy, was I wrong! The minute I poured it in my coffee this morning I knew they also changed the cream. I turned to the nutrition info, and imagine my surprise when the new carton now lists MILK as the second ingredient! The carb count is now 1g where as the old carton shows 0g. (we all know it's not 0, but it sure isn't 1!) I should have looked at the nutritional info before I bought it.
ERnurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: WA
Posts: 1,110
Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Email the company stating what you stated in your Post. People don't realize how much an email or phone call counts. Companies really do pay attention.

I do that with positive remarks also when something impresses me. I called a company who makes those plastic storage boxes because I appreciated how the labels peeled right off. One has to fight to get rid of labels to really appreciate that. Anyway, the gal was so sweet and appreciated the call. She said she'd pass it on to the rest of the employees.

One time, back when I ate cookies, I called to complain about their packaging and how the foil tore when opening. I said, "Don't you guys eat these cookies and know this happens?" Took awhile, but they did change their packaging.
__________________
MOVING FORWARD!

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
tomswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Elgin, Oregon
Posts: 1,913
Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Thanks for this! That's the brand I get. I use to get the Albertsons brand until they closed in this area. It's amazing to me how hard it is to find cream with just cream in it. I was planning on a trip to Walmart tomorrow to get some cream so now I have to hunt again.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
astribling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 345
Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Thanks for the heads up! That's what I use. I just checked the one I bought about a week ago and it's still ok. But I will be sure to check from now on.
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: Weezy
The WalMarts in my area NEVER had just pure cream. Even companies like Whole Foods don't carry plain cream--everything has some sort of stabilizer like carrageenan in it and I'm really sensitive (blood sugar) to those types of things.

However, Trader Joe's has real, pure cream in small lavender cartons--it's a Trader Joe's brand, 99 cents per carton. It used to look the same but was labeled Sunshine Dairy (I think that's out of Portland, OR). Don't know if TJs in all areas carry this, but it's good, no additives, and cost effective. I'll trade grass fed/organic for no stabilizers any day!

If you have no TJs nearby, you might look for Sunshine Dairy (if you're on the west coast/northwest).

Oh...also...some of the business/commercial Costcos are now carrying a Darigold version of pure cream. In the Seattle area, it's only at the Lynnwood commercial Costco (the one on Hwy. 99 near 196th). It's the same price as the TJs, but comes in half gallon containers. Pure cream, no stabilizers or additives.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 25,003
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Just checked my fridge and I have the older one you describe. Thanks for the heads up! I will be cautious with the next one I pick up.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
solarpluvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 348
Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
The Darigold half gallons of 40% cream from Costco or Cash & Carry do have carageenan and other stabilizers added. I've never seen any Darigold, even the smaller grocery store sizes of 36% and 30%, without them. But maybe Olympia is outside of the Darigold fresh stuff (it is all ultra pasturized) area. At least it is otherwise all cream.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: Weezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
The Darigold half gallons of 40% cream from Costco or Cash & Carry do have carageenan and other stabilizers added. I've never seen any Darigold, even the smaller grocery store sizes of 36% and 30%, without them. But maybe Olympia is outside of the Darigold fresh stuff (it is all ultra pasturized) area. At least it is otherwise all cream.

That's why I was so surprised to find the "pure" cream at the Lynnwood commercial Costco. The pure stuff is in plastic containers and it may be a quart as opposed to a half gallon (I forget and we don't have any at the moment). I can't use the standard Darigold HWC because its so full of stabilizers/additives. Wish I could use it--easy to find and cheap!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,418
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Wow, thanks so much for this. I also use this kind.

Threads like this really are the most helpful thing around. I wish more people would post things like this. I have bought GV HWC for so long I don't even bother to look anymore.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
tomswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Elgin, Oregon
Posts: 1,913
Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
The WalMarts in my area NEVER had just pure cream. Even companies like Whole Foods don't carry plain cream--everything has some sort of stabilizer like carrageenan in it and I'm really sensitive (blood sugar) to those types of things.

However, Trader Joe's has real, pure cream in small lavender cartons--it's a Trader Joe's brand, 99 cents per carton. It used to look the same but was labeled Sunshine Dairy (I think that's out of Portland, OR). Don't know if TJs in all areas carry this, but it's good, no additives, and cost effective. I'll trade grass fed/organic for no stabilizers any day!

If you have no TJs nearby, you might look for Sunshine Dairy (if you're on the west coast/northwest).

Oh...also...some of the business/commercial Costcos are now carrying a Darigold version of pure cream. In the Seattle area, it's only at the Lynnwood commercial Costco (the one on Hwy. 99 near 196th). It's the same price as the TJs, but comes in half gallon containers. Pure cream, no stabilizers or additives.
The Albertsons brand listed just cream. I live in the Northwest but don't have a Trader joes to close to me. But last time I checked (about a year ago) they didn't have any cream without stabilizers. I was surprised since they're suppose to be more organic. I've never heard of Sunshine Dairy but I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks,
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 91
Gallery: Weezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
The Albertsons brand listed just cream. I live in the Northwest but don't have a Trader joes to close to me. But last time I checked (about a year ago) they didn't have any cream without stabilizers. I was surprised since they're suppose to be more organic. I've never heard of Sunshine Dairy but I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks,
I never knew about the Albertson's brand...I don't usually shop there, but there's an Albertson's almost next door to the TJs. I'll check it out and see what they carry.

We've been buying the pure cream at TJs for about 18 months now, but it seems like store products vary--there's one TJs locally that doesn't carry the pure cream at all, but the other two do. Go figure.

I've learned to read labels every time I buy something because I don't trust the manufacturers not to change something.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
avid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: treasure coast
Posts: 1,131
Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
threads like this is why LCF is the absolute best.
Kudo's to ERnurse for sharing this info.
I use the GV brand. The carrageneen never bothered me because the
product is dreamily creamy. Now with milk??????
ugh! I may have to get my hwc at publix. My walmart only carries GV hwc.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!
 
debkeversole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: southern ky
Posts: 54,252
Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
thank you for posting this GEEZE i wish they would leave things alone
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
TJ's brand organic heavy cream is only cream. It's a lot thicker than other brands, I have found. It is also 60 cals/TBL as opposed to Horizen Organics, which is 50 cal/TBL. I bought Horizen, because I was at Costco and didn't want to make another stop, but it does have the carageenen.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
wicked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: middle of no where
Posts: 2,228
Gallery: wicked
Stats: 260/188-190/185-190
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: July 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERnurse View Post
I picked up a carton of Great Value HWC yesterday at WM, and noticed they had changed the design of the carton. The old carton was white with red lettering, this is red with white lettering. The packages were the same "Heavy Whipping Cream, Grade A, pasteurized" so I just assumed it was new redesigned packaging. Boy, was I wrong! The minute I poured it in my coffee this morning I knew they also changed the cream. I turned to the nutrition info, and imagine my surprise when the new carton now lists MILK as the second ingredient! The carb count is now 1g where as the old carton shows 0g. (we all know it's not 0, but it sure isn't 1!) I should have looked at the nutritional info before I bought it.

That sure sounds like half and half to me.
wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
PianoAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 664
Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
The fat phobes strike again.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Purgatory escapee
 
DeltaSierra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 7,042
Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
WOE: Atkins
How will it whip if its mostly milk??? Crazy.
DeltaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
greybb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The South y'all
Posts: 2,325
Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
The various names of "cream" are regulated in the US by the amount of butterfat contained. So, if Milk is an ingredient, the HWD must have 38% butterfat.

Half-and-Half: 12% fat
Light Cream: 20% fat
Light Whipping Cream: 30% fat
Whipping Cream: 35% fat
Heavy Cream and Heavy Whipping Cream: 38% fat
Whole Milk: 3.25%

From "Dairy Farming Today"
"Cream is the high-fat milk product
separated from milk. Milk,
concentrated milk, dry whole
milk, nonfat milk, concentrated
nonfat milk or nonfat dry milk
may be added.
Also included may
be emulsifiers, stabilizers, nutritive
sweeteners, flavorings and other
optional ingredients. Cream must
contain at least 18% milk fat. All
cream products are pasteurized
or ultrapasteurized"
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
The fat phobes strike again
Actually I think they are trying to increase their profit by diluting more expensive cream with cheaper milk.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #20
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,824
Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought half & half last night and noticed the new purple packaging (changed from the blue). I didn't buy HWC, but will check it out when I return to get some.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
srmil30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 271
Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for the heads up. My Walmart still has the red and white carton. I am going to run by and pick up a couple of cartons. We use it in coffee and other recipes so it will be used up before the expiration date.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
greybb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The South y'all
Posts: 2,325
Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Actually I think they are trying to increase their profit by diluting more expensive cream with cheaper milk.
By law, it has to contain 38% butterfat. It can't be diluted and still be called HWC.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,893
Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I just found a local source for raw cream, and I'm interested to try it. I cannot find any commercial brand around here that is not ultra-pasteurized and does not have carrageenan in it...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
lazy girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 374
Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
The various names of "cream" are regulated in the US by the amount of butterfat contained. So, if Milk is an ingredient, the HWD must have 38% butterfat.

Half-and-Half: 12% fat
Light Cream: 20% fat
Light Whipping Cream: 30% fat
Whipping Cream: 35% fat
Heavy Cream and Heavy Whipping Cream: 38% fat
Whole Milk: 3.25%

From "Dairy Farming Today"
"Cream is the high-fat milk product
separated from milk. Milk,
concentrated milk, dry whole
milk, nonfat milk, concentrated
nonfat milk or nonfat dry milk
may be added.
Also included may
be emulsifiers, stabilizers, nutritive
sweeteners, flavorings and other
optional ingredients. Cream must
contain at least 18% milk fat. All
cream products are pasteurized
or ultrapasteurized"
Without knowing the butterfat content of the original product, it may be that Walmart has switched products instead of changing the formula.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Jebber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 7,467
Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 188.8/181.6/135
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Forever starting 6/1/14
Wow. Thanks for the alert. I use this brand sometimes. Lately, Aldi has had HWC, so I get it there. I'll be sure to ck labels now. This makes me glad I'm trying to wean myself off of HWC. I've been drinking BPC in the mornings now with just a splash of cream.
Jebber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!
 
debkeversole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: southern ky
Posts: 54,252
Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I just found a local source for raw cream, and I'm interested to try it. I cannot find any commercial brand around here that is not ultra-pasteurized and does not have carrageenan in it...
ooh i wish i could find a source i am happy for you!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
avid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: treasure coast
Posts: 1,131
Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I was at walmart today and checked out the hwc. the gv was still in the familiar container and still lists zero carbs. Next to it was landolakes hwc....it listed 1g of carb
I noticed that neither product listed milk as an ingrediant althougth each had "contains milk" under 'allergy alerts'...both also had carageneen. And so it goes.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,381
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
At my Walmart, the HWC was still in the same carton (white with red letters) but the "fat free half and half" was in a carton like you described. Red with white letters. I still cannot wrap my head around how a product can be fat free half and half when half and half is suppose to be half cream/half milk. If you read the ingredients it has corn syrup in it. These are also fairly close to one another in the dairy case.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 06-18-2013 at 06:15 PM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
cfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,983
Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Mine is still the same.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member
 
astribling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 345
Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Checked mine today too, and it's still all good!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.