Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #61
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Actually I think they are trying to increase their profit by diluting more expensive cream with cheaper milk.
This is what I think, too. I think it's all about the economics and rising food costs. They're trying to do whatever they can to give the customers the same "size" package for the old costs without upping their price. The only way to do that is to fool us with the serving sizes...adulterate it by extending it.

So many packages or things used to be a full pound. Now we get like 12-14oz for the same 1lb price.

Oy.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercup30 View Post
I like the promised land heavy whipping cream. 0 carbs, and it has a screw top lid
I've seen Promised Land milk, but not their cream. I should look for it, as an added bonus it's also all natural and/or organic. (if I remember correctly)
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
When they're talking about milk added, they're saying that the ingredients say cream and milk, plus carrageen and other stuff.

All heavy cream has carbs, regardless of how it's labeled. Traditional HWC has 6.6g carbs per cup.

Legally, the USDA allows foods with fewer than 0.5g to be labeled "0," and foods with between 0.5-0.999g to be labeled as "<1." Depending on how much "other stuff" is in the cream, they might choose to label it as zero, even though it clearly isn't.

Anytime I use cream, I count it as I know it to be, not as the company chooses to label it.

I use Trader Joe's organic HWC, which has nothing but cream in the ingredients. No carrageen, nothing.

Ntombi, I honestly believe you should write your own low-carb book someday! You are so resourceful and really know your stuff! Awesome reply and thanks for the valuable information.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Thanks for the head's up. I just looked and yes! I have the new GV cream.
Shall be shopping for some other brand, maybe find an organic brand. Not be buying
this again.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buttercup30
Stats: 394.6/377.8/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I've seen Promised Land milk, but not their cream. I should look for it, as an added bonus it's also all natural and/or organic. (if I remember correctly)
It is all natural, no additives. It is also thick and delicious. I like the screw top lid, so it is not spilled all over the fridge if it is knocked over.
buttercup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Well, I live in eastern Canada so only two companies to choose from. All the stores including Costco carry the same 2 companies. Monopoly! So unless I get a cow as a pet I have no choice.

I got Baxter and yep, it's got way more than cream. It's labeled "whipping cream, 35%" which is typical for my area. But the list includes milk, carrageenan and others.
It says 1T is 50 cal and 0 carbs.
Obv it has to be more than 0.
As high as 0.4 I guess.
Fortunately I have never been the type to use tons of cream and although I'm not scared of fat and have come to love it, it still feels wrong when I see a recipe with 1/2 cup or more of HWC.

Maybe I need a support group.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Ntombi, I honestly believe you should write your own low-carb book someday! You are so resourceful and really know your stuff! Awesome reply and thanks for the valuable information.
You are very kind, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
Well, I live in eastern Canada so only two companies to choose from. All the stores including Costco carry the same 2 companies. Monopoly! So unless I get a cow as a pet I have no choice.

I got Baxter and yep, it's got way more than cream. It's labeled "whipping cream, 35%" which is typical for my area. But the list includes milk, carrageenan and others.
It says 1T is 50 cal and 0 carbs.
Obv it has to be more than 0.
As high as 0.4 I guess.
Fortunately I have never been the type to use tons of cream and although I'm not scared of fat and have come to love it, it still feels wrong when I see a recipe with 1/2 cup or more of HWC.

Maybe I need a support group.
I don't know what the labeling laws are in Canada, but they're generally more consumer friendly. I know the meat has to be more clearly labeled than in the USA when it's "enhanced" with saline and/or broth.

As for half a cup of HWC, that's a lot for one serving, no matter the plan. I'm far from fat-phobic, I eat high fat every day, but I wouldn't make a single serving recipe with half a cup of HWC.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

I was trying to say that on the Promised Land Heavy Whipping Cream, that it doesn't come from cows treated with rBST hormones. It does cost a little more. It does have the carrageenan. with the lack of artificial hormones, and the screw top lid, I believe its worth 30 cents extra. $2.38 is what I paid the other day. I'm sure it will go on sale next week 2/$5.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
Start Date: June 2008
It's strange. I just bought my second container of the new great value cream and it STILL does not have milk as one of the ingredients. I wonder why that it.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Like I said before, I appreciate the op for putting this up. We do want to stay on top of changes to popular products. But in this particular case, I'm not sure I understand why people who were happy with GV HWC before are refusing to by it anymore. Like Ntombi pointed out earlier, HWC is defined by law. It must contain certain amounts of fat.
These amounts have not changed in the new container. The only thing that changed is that they now list 'milk' as an ingrediant, as if any cream anywhere doesn't contain milk?
And they post 1g carb as the carb value. We all know the 'zero' carb value was bogus. It was legal, but there are carbs in HWC, even if only slight per serving.
As a personal testimonial, I can tell y'all as a fussy coffee drinker that I am still measuring my GV HWC as before, my coffee tastes just as creamy. As far as weight loss is concerned I am currently having to work at NOT losing anymore weight. The 'new' hwc is IMHO virtually no different from the old, is not taking me out of ketosis, ruining my cup o joe, or causing me to gain.....So there it is. I will continue to use it because it's convenient to purchase, is deliciously creamy, and is cheaper than other brands.
I think we (myself included) can sometimes make "much ado about nothing"
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

I went to Wal-Mart Sunday. I saw the new HWC. Yes, it has milk in it. So moving right along, I looked for my favorite brand. Not to be found. Therefore, I picked up land o' lakes, because it had 1 carb. I just wish it had a screw top lid.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #72

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercup30 View Post
I was trying to say that on the Promised Land Heavy Whipping Cream, that it doesn't come from cows treated with rBST hormones. It does cost a little more. It does have the carrageenan. with the lack of artificial hormones, and the screw top lid, I believe its worth 30 cents extra. $2.38 is what I paid the other day. I'm sure it will go on sale next week 2/$5.
Buttercup, where do you buy it? I agree it's a better choice, but couldn't find it in my local Walmart (which carries Promised Land milk - but not their cream, apparently).

I wonder if Albertsons or Kroger carry it. I don shop there very often, but I could make a detour if needed.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-31-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

I still don't understand why my walmart is carrying the new cream and yet it does not list milk as an ingredient.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
I buy Promised Land HWC at Costco ... with the screw top lid.
The only problem is that it seems to "go bad" much faster than the other brands such as GV, Schweps, etc. that I have used in the past.

Also, the cream rises to the top and is VERY thick ... I have to do some "mixing" before using it . BUT ... it tastes great ! :-)
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
tomswife,
The Walmart that I use also has the new HWC and it does not list milk in the ingredient list but at the very bottom it says it contains "milk". Since cream comes from milk I wonder if this is what the above posters are referring to.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
If it has less than 1g a serving i think they can label it as 0g but mostcompanies dont they state less than 11g so ppl can round up
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Buttercup, where do you buy it? I agree it's a better choice, but couldn't find it in my local Walmart (which carries Promised Land milk - but not their cream, apparently).

I wonder if Albertsons or Kroger carry it. I don shop there very often, but I could make a detour if needed.
I buy it at Brookshire Brothers (one of my local chain grocers.) I guess Wal-Mart just does not carry it. I do like the land o' lakes HWC though. It's kinda sweet, and it's tasty.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmil30 View Post
tomswife,
The Walmart that I use also has the new HWC and it does not list milk in the ingredient list but at the very bottom it says it contains "milk". Since cream comes from milk I wonder if this is what the above posters are referring to.
Yeah, I did see that but the old cream said that also so I'm not clear on whats "new" with the new carton.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
The WalMarts in my area NEVER had just pure cream. Even companies like Whole Foods don't carry plain cream--everything has some sort of stabilizer like carrageenan in it and I'm really sensitive (blood sugar) to those types of things.

However, Trader Joe's has real, pure cream in small lavender cartons--it's a Trader Joe's brand, 99 cents per carton. It used to look the same but was labeled Sunshine Dairy (I think that's out of Portland, OR). Don't know if TJs in all areas carry this, but it's good, no additives, and cost effective. I'll trade grass fed/organic for no stabilizers any day!

If you have no TJs nearby, you might look for Sunshine Dairy (if you're on the west coast/northwest).

Oh...also...some of the business/commercial Costcos are now carrying a Darigold version of pure cream. In the Seattle area, it's only at the Lynnwood commercial Costco (the one on Hwy. 99 near 196th). It's the same price as the TJs, but comes in half gallon containers. Pure cream, no stabilizers or additives.
Your price at Trader Joe's is a lot better than here in Houston. I stopped at one and bought the cream but it is more than $3.00 for a pint. That's about $7.00 for a quart. Not in my budget.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I just found a local source for raw cream, and I'm interested to try it. I cannot find any commercial brand around here that is not ultra-pasteurized and does not have carrageenan in it...
Vilya,
Hi, where in Texas did you find the raw cream. There is a place in Magnolia but it is way pricey, might as well get it from TJ and save the gas. I'll be moving to the Hill Country next year and would love to get raw cream.
Carolyn
Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
Hi, I told my son about this when I first read the posts. He said no way - they are probably picking up the half-n-half thinking its cream. Well we didn't talk about it again but my daughter stopped at Walmart Saturday and she picked him up some Heavy Whipping Cream and now he believes me. He was not happy.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
I buy Promised Land HWC at Costco ... with the screw top lid.
The only problem is that it seems to "go bad" much faster than the other brands such as GV, Schweps, etc. that I have used in the past.

Also, the cream rises to the top and is VERY thick ... I have to do some "mixing" before using it . BUT ... it tastes great ! :-)
I noticed that also and returned it, on two separate occasions. Not sure why that happens so I no longer buy it from Costco. I do buy Kroger HWC and HEB has an organic one that is very thick and very tasty but has the same additional ingredients as other creams have. I think that negates the organic part somewhat, still very good tasting though.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chyrie
Stats: 214/198/115
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 6/14/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmil30 View Post
tomswife,
Mine is the same way. It also listed "0 carbs" Since it has carrageneen in it though, I think I'll look into exclusively buying Rhody Fresh brand (as I don't have a trader joes near me)
Chyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #84

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
I haven't read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned, but the Land O'Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream I buy at Sam's Club has added skim milk. It changed from listing 1 carb before the addition of milk to claiming 0 carb after.

Last edited by SummerAnne; 08-06-2013 at 07:22 PM..
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

what is carageenan anyway?
I bought some hwc at publix that lists crageenan as an ingrediant.
the GV HWC doesn't
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #86
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Carageenan is a thickening and stabilizing agent extracted from red seaweeds.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
what is carageenan anyway?
I bought some hwc at publix that lists crageenan as an ingrediant.
the GV HWC doesn't
It also can cause a lot of gastric distress in certain individuals. Google up on it - it can be pretty nasty.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Texas Lady
WOE: Low carb
At first blush, carrageenan sounds seemingly harmless – it’s derived from red seaweed and is used as a thickener, stabilizer, and/or emulsifier in many dairy (sour cream, yogurt, ice cream, etc), dairy alternatives (non-dairy milk, non-dairy cheese, etc), and deli meat products. As it turns out, research links carrageenan to gastrointestinal inflammation, lesions, and even colon cancer in animals. Individuals with Inflammatory Bowel Disease or other gastrointestinal disorders are cautioned to avoid this ingredient as it can make symptoms – and inflammation.
Texas Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

My 'new' GV HWC is looking better all the time!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
I noticed that also and returned it, on two separate occasions. Not sure why that happens so I no longer buy it from Costco. I do buy Kroger HWC and HEB has an organic one that is very thick and very tasty but has the same additional ingredients as other creams have. I think that negates the organic part somewhat, still very good tasting though.
Willing to bet pasturization may be different, I like to buy non ultra pasturized since it should have more good stuff in it but shorter life span.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote