Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   2 year Low Carb Anniversary (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806212-2-year-low-carb-anniversary.html)

Janknitz 06-16-2013 06:27 PM

2 year Low Carb Anniversary

Wow, so here I am, two years later. (Almost) 65 pounds lighter. :jumpjoy: It's coming off slowly, but I'm OK with that. I love what I eat, I don't feel deprived, and my health has improved 1000%. I plan to do this the rest of my life.

We just came back from Disneyland. Two years ago, what prompted me to do this was a trip to Disneyland that was the low point of my life. I had to use one of those electric scooters because I couldn't walk across a room without severe back pain and shortness of breath--totally deconditioned. I felt very ill and was certain that I would be dying soon. I had constant body aches and pain, high blood pressure, too afraid to check my blood sugar and cholesterol or see the doctor for a check up. Asthma was uncontrolled. I was sick with asthmatic bronchitis several times a year.

Fast forward to this trip to Disneyland. I walked the entire day through both parks. I was tired after 16 hours of walking, but it was a good tired. BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are now perfect. Skeletal pain is gone, asthma is under good control, and I hardly EVER get sick (once in the past two years!). I feel great physically and emotionally I'm happy and grateful for a second chance. I don't do big major exercise, but I walk and do some resistance stuff regularly.

DH and I have converted our household to a much healthier way of eating. We buy grassfed meat and pastured eggs, wild fish, organic veggies. My DH and kids still eat carbs, but we put several different veggies and healthy protein on the table with every meal, carbs are a small part instead of the main dish.

Our kids think we're crazy, but that's OK. We plan to be around to drive them nuts for a good, long time. :up:

It's a good anniversary. :)

Ntombi 06-16-2013 07:36 PM

Congratulations! That's a wonderful testimony to all the changes you've made.

rndiane 06-16-2013 07:41 PM

That is wonderful. Your story is such a good example to all new low carber. :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

shawneesioux 06-16-2013 09:39 PM

Happy Anniversary! Your heartfelt, uplifting post is such a great testimony to the wonders of low-carbing.
May you have a wonderful lifetime of such anniversaries; best thing I ever did for myself was starting LC over 12 years ago.

rubidoux 06-17-2013 12:01 AM

Yay! That's a great story! And so motivating! I'm thrilled that you had a good time at Disney! :jumpjoy:

I have a similar history in terms of health problems (and also terrified to see doc and have things taken care of) and getting so much better doing low carb. Its nice to be reminded! Thank you!

cfine 06-17-2013 03:08 AM

Janknitz, what an accomplishment!! Thanks for always being there to help others along ther journey.

watcher513 06-17-2013 03:12 AM

Congratulations! So happy for you!

Mobear 06-17-2013 03:22 AM

Happy anniversary Janknitz :)! Thanks for sharing.

anglgrl 06-17-2013 07:21 AM

Happy anniversary! :clap:

Rhubarb 06-17-2013 07:55 AM

Happy anniversary. What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it.

glennjones 06-17-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16473440)
Wow, so here I am, two years later. (Almost) 65 pounds lighter. :jumpjoy: It's coming off slowly, but I'm OK with that. I love what I eat, I don't feel deprived, and my health has improved 1000%. I plan to do this the rest of my life.

We just came back from Disneyland. Two years ago, what prompted me to do this was a trip to Disneyland that was the low point of my life. I had to use one of those electric scooters because I couldn't walk across a room without severe back pain and shortness of breath--totally deconditioned. I felt very ill and was certain that I would be dying soon. I had constant body aches and pain, high blood pressure, too afraid to check my blood sugar and cholesterol or see the doctor for a check up. Asthma was uncontrolled. I was sick with asthmatic bronchitis several times a year.

Fast forward to this trip to Disneyland. I walked the entire day through both parks. I was tired after 16 hours of walking, but it was a good tired. BP, blood sugar and cholesterol are now perfect. Skeletal pain is gone, asthma is under good control, and I hardly EVER get sick (once in the past two years!). I feel great physically and emotionally I'm happy and grateful for a second chance. I don't do big major exercise, but I walk and do some resistance stuff regularly.

DH and I have converted our household to a much healthier way of eating. We buy grassfed meat and pastured eggs, wild fish, organic veggies. My DH and kids still eat carbs, but we put several different veggies and healthy protein on the table with every meal, carbs are a small part instead of the main dish.

Our kids think we're crazy, but that's OK. We plan to be around to drive them nuts for a good, long time. :up:

It's a good anniversary. :)

Congratulations!! I believe you WILL be around a long time.

Sharss 06-17-2013 08:20 AM

Congratulations! You've hung in there and are now reaping the benefits! What a wonderful testimony! :high5:

SlowMovingWoman 06-17-2013 09:11 AM

Wonderful!!! Congrats and a big thumbs up!!!!

JennyBell 06-17-2013 10:07 AM

As a newbie, I appreciate your message. Its great to hear good "end of the long road" stories. Congratulations on your anniversary. I am hoping to be able to have the same message myself in 2 years.

Weezy 06-17-2013 02:05 PM

Congrats! That's a big change and all positive. Sticking around to drive your kids nuts for many more decades is a worthy goal... ;)

Janknitz 06-17-2013 10:30 PM

Thank you all!!

Btw, Jenny bell, not the end of the road for me at all. I still have at least 40 lbs to go and it gets slower and slower coming off at my age. That's ok, I'm in it for the long haul. This journey has no end, only some great places to visit along the way.

Btw, today I decided my clothes were too baggy. I dug in the back of my closet and found my most favorite dress ever which has not fit in TEN years. I wore it today. Got lots of compliments (someone even said it looked big on me!)

:jumpjoy:

dmburk 06-18-2013 03:25 AM

Congrats! Keep it up, we started around the same time, if I remember. It's great to see the regulars on this board making progress. Some members start out great, then disappear for a while, then return with a sad story. Some are never seen again, which is sad. But the ones who stick with it, post occasionally, and have positive results are an inspiration to all. Some examples, Clacky, Rosethorns, Mmorris, Mswoods, and more. Thanks you all who post encouraging comments.

Melle's_Sweetheart 06-18-2013 04:45 AM

What an inspirational story!

My goal is to visit an amusement part when I reach my ultimate goal, as well. I certainly hope I make it!

baileygirl3 06-18-2013 06:05 AM

Awesome!!! Congrats to you!!!

Jebber 06-18-2013 06:13 AM

Happy Atkinsversary!! You are doing great! :high5::high5:

I love the difference between your two Disney trips. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me.