Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katrina-Anne
Ideas for 23 hour drive...

I leave for a mission trip this week and I am facing 23 hours in a van. I was hoping for some ideas for snacks on the way down. I can take my daughters insulated lunch bag but not much more due to space issues.

So I cannot eat beef, fish or pork due to allergies. I am a chicken and turkey kinda girl.

Also, what type of low carb tortilla is the best? There are so many types and the last one I tried many years ago was awful. I have a whole foods, trader joes, and a good foods coop near so I can do some shopping for different brands.

Thanks so much. Katrina
Katrina-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I often make the 18 hour drive to Kansas to see my kids, and I usually stick to the basics. I take hard boiled eggs, and slices of sharp cheddar cheese. I usually wrap a piece of the cheese around the egg and eat. Tuna is also really good. Especially if you buy it in the packet, so you don't have to worry about opening the can, or draining the water out, and you can squeeze in some of those little packets of mayo and eat it that way. It's basic, but it's just for one way and really helps to stay on track.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesship
Stats: 160/126/115
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
When I travel I always take a pack of turkey pepperoni, string cheese, almonds, and jerky. You could also pack jello cups if you want something sweet, and I think the tuna idea sounds good
jesship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Don't forget plenty of water to drink.

I'm not a big fan of protein bars, but I learned to take them on trips when meals can be unreliable. I take Quest bars. And if you can have nuts, take macadamia nuts (very filling!), some almond butter or sun butter and a spoon (I make my own sun butter--yummy!).

I just came back from vacation and I tried to eat lots of good proteins and fat at meal times (challenging on the road, but I made do with eggs at breakfast, bunless burgers, loaded salads, etc.). I took coconut oil to add to hot coffee and tea. By eating heartily at meals, I really didn't snack much at all. Interestingly, my kids weren't all that big on snacking either, because they didn't have Mom (the former queen of hypoglycemia) suggesting it every two hours!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katrina-Anne
I agree that tuna sounds great...except I am allergic :-( and pepperoni is out too. I plan on packing some veggies. I like the idea of eggs too. We always stop at mcD's so I can do some eggs there. Lunch a salad of some sort. Keep the ideas coming please!
Katrina-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You said you could eat turkey, right? They make turkey pepperonis. Instead of tuna salad, you could make chicken salad.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Macadamia nuts are one of the best things for me, the high fat content will keep you full for long stretches of time. I also like string cheese. You can attempt to find a low carb turkey jerky, but I've had a rough time trying to find anything with reasonable carb counts.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesship
Stats: 160/126/115
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
How about deli chicken/turkey slices and cheese (and maybe a few pickles)? Then you can just make roll ups when you're hungry. The small mayo packets could add in some fat to keep you full. I like horseradish sauce for my deli roll ups. If you stop at fast food places you could get a grilled chicken sandwich and not eat the bun. A lot of rest areas have a market that carry salads, boiled eggs (though they are not my fave, lol), cheese sticks, and veggie cups. If you will be stopping for meals I would just bring snacks in the cooler and order bunless sandwiches or salads for meals. Oh! Pork rinds are good for snacking if you like them...good in protein and fat to keep you full.
jesship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Jar of Trader Joe's peanut butter....yum!
Macademia Nuts
Deviled Eggs
Turkey/cheese/pickle rollups
Chocolate Almond Bark
Veggies/ranch dip

Good luck on your mission...be safe!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Put a frozen bottle of water in your daughters lunch sac.

Eat a good breakfast before you go!

For the first day, its easier... you can take a salad with protein on it or a tortilla with turkey and cheese or turkey/cheese rollups.
Some fresh veggies with ranch dressing to dip (Hidden valley makes individual dipping packets that don't require refrigeration).
Quiche will stay fine and is good cold or room temp.
Greek yogurt or cottage cheese and berries (fresh or start with frozen berries and let them thaw as you ride, and put them over yogurt or cottage cheese).

For the second day, I would get a small can or pack of chicken, and take some packets of mayo, and a big pickle (will stay fine without refrigeration for 24 hrs).

Hardboiled eggs in the shell are good for about 3 days without refrigeration.

I would bring some packets of Crystal light. You can ask for a free cup of water with ice just about anywhere, and then add your Crystal light.

I like coffee or tea, so I always bring along my own sweetener. (often cheaper places will only offer sugar or the "pink stuff"= saccharin)\

When you are eating out on your trip, keep in mind that "perfect" is not always possible. So just make the best available choices, and move on.

And really, most places that they would stop would offer a salad or grilled chicken sandwich (remove the bread) that you could have. You might want to just take along some appropriate dressing in your sac, so that you don't have to worry about that part. Vinaigrettes or Italian dressings don't really need refrigeration.

Last edited by Strawberry; 06-16-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Protein powder portioned out in baggies and water to mix it with.
I intend to try adding a fiber powder to the protein powder shakes I use for quick meals, to make them more filling.

I tried a homemade bar made from protein powder, not very tasty, but the nutition profile was good.
Quote:
4 Tbl butter
1.5 Tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbl DaVinci Chocolate Sugar Free syrup
2 cups Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Whey Protein
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave.
Whisk cocoa in well, then SF syrup.
Incorporate protein powder.
Add chopped nuts
Press into wax-paper-lined 9x9 pan & refrigerate.
Caramel consistency, and much better than any of my old fudge recipes. Plus, no wasted calories. High Protein snack or dessert. Best cold.
If you do soy or vegetarian options, maybe a veggie burger, cooked and cooled, in a baggie.

Trail mix COCONUTTY CRUNCH - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Joseph's Lavash bread is great for wraps and roll ups.

I am not sure if you make low carb desserts, but if you do then Linda's low carb pound cake is wonderful! You could take some slices of that cake and put peanut butter on them and just YUM! Just google Linda's low carb to find the recipe.

I think everyone's ideas about nuts, eggs, pickles, nut butters are all good! That is what I would take as well.
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8 2013
Turkey jerky, boiled eggs, cucumber sticks, olives - those are my go to's for a day away from home.
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote