Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I don't know what to make of this (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/806206-i-dont-know-what-make.html)

Jackie123 06-16-2013 03:55 PM

I don't know what to make of this

I bought Once Again brand organic tahini, which claims to have 4 grams carbs with 4 grams fiber for each two tablespoon serving . This makes it zero net carbs. But, don't you make tahini from sesame seeds? And don't they have about a gram per tablespoon net? I'm tres confused.....:(

brimmy 06-16-2013 04:05 PM

Some companies will subtract fiber from the carb count automatically, meaning this could possibly be 8 carbs, but only 4 net. I'm not saying that IS the case, but you might be best to email the company and ask if they've already subtracted that out.

Jackie123 06-16-2013 05:10 PM

Wow...I did not know this! I be researching the brand pronto!

Mistizoom 06-16-2013 05:38 PM

I bought some tahini a couple of months ago and the brands I looked at had the same ingredients (sesame seeds and salt, I think) but they had wildly different nutrient counts. Very confusing. I suppose the USDA database would be a reliable source to confirm. Don't remember which one I bought but I figured they couldn't be too different in the end. According to the USDA datsbase:

Seeds, sesame butter, tahini, from roasted and toasted kernels (most common type): 3.18 carb, 1.4 g fiber per tablespoon

brimmy 06-16-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16473373)
I bought some tahini a couple of months ago and the brands I looked at had the same ingredients (sesame seeds and salt, I think) but they had wildly different nutrient counts. Very confusing. I suppose the USDA database would be a reliable source to confirm. Don't remember which one I bought but I figured they couldn't be too different in the end. According to the USDA datsbase:

Seeds, sesame butter, tahini, from roasted and toasted kernels (most common type): 3.18 carb, 1.4 g fiber per tablespoon

Which would work out to be 3.56 grams of net carbs, and if you're doing appropriate nutritional label rounding would be 4 net carbs. So it looks like they already subtracted the fiber out.

There are only a few grains that I know of which are almost 100% fiber, and sesame is not one of them. I think flax meal, and oat fiber are the two that immediately come to mind.

clackley 06-16-2013 07:35 PM

This would certainly be a case of deducting fiber and is the common method in Europe so beware of products from there too!

avid 06-16-2013 08:03 PM

Tahini!!!
I forgot about this tasty seed paste.
Gotta get me some soon.
thanks for the reiminder.

ravenrose 06-16-2013 08:16 PM

any time you see a nutrition label that's too good to be true, it probably is. very few products allow one manufacturer to make a version that's lower carb than standard without showing really different things in the ingredients list.

good catch! if you are in doubt, use the generic numbers from one of those calorie sites instead. some labels are just WRONG.

avid 06-17-2013 07:16 AM

I agreee, the label is misleading.
A look at the usda website for nutrition shows four different types of tahini
All of them have around 3.18 g's of carb and 1.4 g of fiber for a 1 tbsp.
Misleading labeling makes me suspicious of everything else about a products claims.