Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
Gallery: starryblu
Stats: 203/199/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: august 2012
what do you eat on a low carb soft food diet?

(sorry. the bees have absolutely nothing to do with this post. i just think they are the most adorable icons!)

hi everyone

so here's my story. i broke off a front tooth the day before yesterday. uggg...it happens to me quite frequently, and i go to the dentist to get it patched up. this time tho, i think it's going to be about three weeks before i will get it fixed. i am scheduled to have the tooth pulled, and an implant done. it seems kind of a waste to spend the money to get it fixed, then have it pulled.

anyhoo...the darn thing is really sharp, and preventing me from chewing. therefore, i've been trying to eat a soft diet. what would normally come to mind is chicken noodle soup, oatmeal, pudding, ice cream, mashed taters etc. i've been doing well with my WOE so i really don't want to go with that type of diet.

can anyone give me suggestions? i've thought of broth and mashed cauliflower. maybe the hot pumpkin cereal, although at one point i was eating it too often and it got to be kind of icky after a while. i might be able to do scrambled eggs. that's quite a limited diet for three weeks tho. what would you eat?
starryblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Hope the three weeks pass quickly for you
Mashed cauliflower,
mashed cabbage and cauliflower mix
chili con carne
shepherds pie with cauliflower mash as topping
moussaka
scrambled eggs
cheesecake
really anything with ground beef
ricotta dessert
cold cut slices do not need much chewing or you can chew in strategic places.
Soup soup soup
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Make this. Take out the solid stuff and whirl it in a blender and then return it to the soup.
BEEFY-MUSHROOM SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

YOu can use ham or chicken, or just broth, for this one:
"SPLIT PEA" SOUP - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

If you make revolution rolls or oopsie rolls, you can break a roll into the soup, and get some added protein that way (revolution rolls have egg and cottage cheese, oopsies use cream cheese instead of the cottage cheese)

cook some chicken. dice it up and put it into a blender or food processor with some silken tofu. add a little mayo to make it creamy, and then add salt, pepper, and maybe a little hot sauce. I like it 2 parts chicken to 1 part tofu, but if you add more tofu it gets to the consistency of thick baby food, which you can 'gum' instead of chew.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Check your local drugstores for "temptooth", too. It's a molded temporary tooth material.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I was thinking scrambled eggs and veggie soups,

Pumpkin Bake - this would make a great breakfast and it will get your veggies in along with a decent number of eggs

Pumpkin Custard (both recipes are at Linda Sue's site)

I would try some low carb shakes. You can buy the Atkins shakes, or make your own, there are lots of recipes out there.

Good Luck, hope your tooth feels better soon!
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Location: my own little world...but hey, there's pretty colors, flowers...very nice :o)
aww aren't you all awesome! those are some really great suggestions, and i feel much better about being able to stay on track with my WOE. i'm actually hungry at the moment, and feeling like i have some good options!

Dottie, great suggestion about the "temptooth"! i'm going to check around and see what i can find. i actually have some dental wax, which works pretty well....if i can get it to stick. that's my problem! along with hating the way it feels in my mouth. but, it helps me get by with this "razor tooth" i have in my mouth at the moment. stupid thing feels like i'm cutting my lip with a piece of glass every time i try to eat.

(sorry for the graphics, i'm just really annoyed with the stupid thing. it's my own fault. i always try to baby it, but was happily munching away when it happend. grrrr)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
That sounds so unpleasant. I hope the temptooth helps.

You could try avocado in various permutations. I'm extremely fond of the chocolate pudding. And any creamy blended soup will work. I like cream of broccoli with cheese and a little egg for protein.

For meat, perhaps you could make a smooth pâté in the food processor? I eat chicken pâté all the time but you can make it with any meat and some spices, maybe some cream cheese.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Start Date: April 2014
Egg cream shakes are delicious.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesship
Stats: 160/126/115
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
I love liverwurst cut into slices with a squirt of mustard on top. Egg drop soup is quick and easy too.

Also want to add that cheesecake bites are yummy and soft...you can make them sweet or savory.

Last edited by jesship; 06-16-2013 at 01:10 PM..
jesship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
That sounds so unpleasant. I hope the temptooth helps.

You could try avocado in various permutations. I'm extremely fond of the chocolate pudding. And any creamy blended soup will work. I like cream of broccoli with cheese and a little egg for protein.

For meat, perhaps you could make a smooth pâté in the food processor? I eat chicken pâté all the time but you can make it with any meat and some spices, maybe some cream cheese.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Rhubarb, it's awfully unpleasant! i guess i will make a trip to the dentist and see if i can get the sharp parts taken care of.

(i love your name, btw. i'm a crazy rhubarb freak!!)

thanks for the great suggestions....some yummy stuff there! i'm loving the idea of the cream of broccoli soup. that's a favorite of mine!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Egg cream shakes are delicious.
yummm....imma have to try one of those!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesship View Post
I love liverwurst cut into slices with a squirt of mustard on top. Egg drop soup is quick and easy too.

Also want to add that cheesecake bites are yummy and soft...you can make them sweet or savory.
funny you should mention egg drop soup. i've been meaning to try it! that's a great idea. so are the cheesecake bites, tho i've never had a savory one. how do you make them?

thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesship
Stats: 160/126/115
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
I usually google savory cheesecake and find one that looks yummy, lol. But basically it's a block of cream cheese, an egg, and something "savory" cooked in muffin tins at 325 for about 30 min. My favorite is just a half a bag of mexican blend cheese (4 oz)with some taco seasoning mixed in with the cream cheese and egg. Just mix all the ingredients together until creamy then bake. Super easy, super yummy
jesship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Tuna salad with lots of mayo and no celery. Egg salad would work too.

Good luck with the tooth. Dental problems stink.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Yes to Temptooth. If you cant find that, they make a special wax to go over sharp braces on teeth, that could also be placed over the sharp edge.

Also, your dentist might be able to put on a cheapo temporary fake tooth, like the kind they use while they are waiting to have a permanent crown made and placed on the tooth. The color probably wont match exactly, but its way better than having a sharp stub and will cover to provide pain relief if that is an issue. If you plan to use that same dentist for the implant, they might not even charge you for it (crosses fingers!)

Last edited by Strawberry; 06-16-2013 at 08:22 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Oh yeah, re: food.

I don't think smoothies with almond or coconut milk and frozen berries have been mentioned yet.

Greek yogurt or cottage cheese also.

Its so hot out, you might want to look into chilled soups too. Like gazpacho or chilled avocado soup.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
Start Date: January 2012
Potted meat. I wouldn't go so far as to call it food, but I'm eating it on pork rinds now. Skip the pork rinds... Soft as you can get.
berighteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryblu View Post
(i love your name, btw. i'm a crazy rhubarb freak!!)
I love rhubarb, too! If you can fit some full fat plain yogurt into your plan, its super yummy with some stewed rhubarb, and for a few more carbs, toss in a few strawberries. I think we might be past rhubarb season, but maybe you can find some frozen? This would also be great over cheesecake.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesship View Post
I usually google savory cheesecake and find one that looks yummy, lol. But basically it's a block of cream cheese, an egg, and something "savory" cooked in muffin tins at 325 for about 30 min. My favorite is just a half a bag of mexican blend cheese (4 oz)with some taco seasoning mixed in with the cream cheese and egg. Just mix all the ingredients together until creamy then bake. Super easy, super yummy
ohh that sound very yummy! i'm definitely going to have to try it!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Yes to Temptooth. If you cant find that, they make a special wax to go over sharp braces on teeth, that could also be placed over the sharp edge.

Also, your dentist might be able to put on a cheapo temporary fake tooth, like the kind they use while they are waiting to have a permanent crown made and placed on the tooth. The color probably wont match exactly, but its way better than having a sharp stub and will cover to provide pain relief if that is an issue. If you plan to use that same dentist for the implant, they might not even charge you for it (crosses fingers!)
i've been kind of hoping that the dentist would suggest a temporary crown, just like you said. i don't know if it's going to happen though. he seems to have a bit of a watch dog that makes appts, and i can't even get in till next monday. i know she wouldn't think much of having a temporary crown done!

i've actually been using the wax, and it seems to be working pretty well. it actually stayed on all day long at work today, which i have to say impressed me. ohh i can't wait to get all this mess behind me!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I love rhubarb, too! If you can fit some full fat plain yogurt into your plan, its super yummy with some stewed rhubarb, and for a few more carbs, toss in a few strawberries. I think we might be past rhubarb season, but maybe you can find some frozen? This would also be great over cheesecake.
oh my goodness, you've got me drooling over the rhubarb and yogurt! i will certainly have to try that! rhubarb is so expensive to buy. i bought some frozen here, and paid almost $4 for a 10 oz bag.

i recently made a trip to iowa, and my son and i picked some out of his neighbor's back yard. he didn't tell me till we were finished that he hadn't asked permission to pick it. rotten guy...we got teased a lot about stealing the neighbor's rhubarb!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

thanks so much to you all, for the great replies. for the food suggestions, and for the support about the tooth. i've been dental phobic for years and years, so this is a very big deal that i'm getting the work done. i can't wait till it's over! but i will have a nice smile, which i am very excited about. the food all sounds so yummy, and that helps me feel more positive about being able to eat low carb while i'm having "teef issues"

thanks again, you are all very much appreciated!