Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
What to do with too-big clothes

Bella wondered about how to keep our closets organized when we have many sizes of clothes.

How long do you hold on to your different sizes of clothes?
What method do you use of culling/organizing them?

For me, I switch out my clothes each summer and winter. I go through everything at that time. If I haven't worn it for a year or two, I give it away.

I keep jeans in all my sizes because they are my 'goal pants'.

I keep the nicer stuff that looks good on me. Suits and semi-formal stuff is expensive, and I can always get my favorites altered once I'm in my final size. I keep coats and jackets because a lot of them will serve me through several sizes.

I keep a few knockaround shirts, several going out shirts, and enough khakis, simple skirts, and trousers so that I have the colors I need to go with the shirts.

THen everything else is given away to friends, or taken to thrift store, or turned into cleaning rags or cut up into squares for the SPCA to use.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
As i've lost sizes in clothes i've either passed them on to my Mom or my SIL who is a few sizes above me and doing LC too. I actually took 7 Big bags of clothes to the Goodwill friday! I do Not want any of my bigger sized clothes in my closet or anywhere near me Lol! Right now in my closet I have 2 pair of jeans I can't wear yet and I keep those to try on to kinda see how much further I need to go to get into them I went from a Tight 16 to a 6 in most and some 8's depending on the brand.

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Forgot one, I keep a pair of jeans in my "never again" sizes because it is fun to put them on and see how big they are on me now.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
I was used to having a range of sizes in my closet and was fine with it until last year. I had clothes in sizes ranging from XL to 3X (most at the higher end), many new with tags (that's a different issue lol), and nothing to wear in season that fit.

The first thing I did was buy a few pieces (including undergarments) that actually fit - not at lot, not expensive - but enough to not have to repeat an outfit within the same week.

Next, I tried on everything in my wardrobe from bra to shoe and removed anything that was 2 sizes or more too large. I later sorted them into trash, donate, sell, or alter groups. (It would have been more efficient to group from the get go, but that would have delayed my major priority which was finding out exactly what I could wear ASAP.)

The trash and donate group were easy to take care of. I tired rather quickly of selling and donated the sell group leftovers. The alter group got smaller after I priced the cost of alterations in my area - now some of those pieces are in a TBD group that I'll revisit after I get to goal size.

My basic rule now is that I only keep clothes that are no more than one size larger. I thought I was more set for summer than I am so I have bought a few pieces in the past month but only what I consider keepers. I need to go through the closet again right now so I don't get any more surprises, but I'm going to hold off until the end of the season.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
I only had 2 pairs of jeans that fit and I refused to buy bigger sizes. I am keeping them and have since bought one pair that is one size smaller. I got rid of all the size 4 jeans that I could get into 3 years ago, since I don't think it's realistic to think about getting back down to that size again, and if I do, I'll treat myself to some new ones. I think I'll still keep the larger ones, though, as a reminder.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
When clothes get too big they go in the donate pile to go to Salvation Army or consignment.

I don't keep too-big clothing. I don't keep "biggest size" clothes for comparison. Not something I've ever done.

I kept only a few good things, mostly jeans, when I gained.

I have a huge pile of things that will be donated w/i a week or so.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 06-16-2013 at 04:53 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

How do I organize the clothes?

Too big and not quite perfect clothes are washed, folded & put in a pile or mesh hamper for donation.

Perfect clothes are cleaned, folded & in-season ones go to consignment. Out of season ones are held onto until the right season.

I live in Florida & one season does not differ much from the next when it comes to my wardrobe. Most of my things are worn year round.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I am losing very slowly (65 lbs, two years) and each pound is hard won. I've decided I don't want to save ANY fat clothes because there is NO "just in case". After 2 years I feel comfortable saying this is permanent, I don't even have a set goal because I don't really plan to change my way of eating when I get to a certain point. This is forever.

I'm buying things as seasons change, because much of last summer's wear does NOT fit me, and what I wore last fall will probably not fit this year. But I have a bad habit of wearing baggy stuff that fits me no matter what. I've been wearing these clothes for years. Last week we went to Disneyland and it wasn't until I saw the pictures that I realized I was wearing the SAME shirt I wore when we took my oldest daughter to meet Mickey at Toon Town when she was 3. SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO!!!! OMG! I wore it through all my fat AND thin years.

I guess it's time for some new things!

I didn't realize just how baggy my clothes are until I was waiting for my daughters in a dressing room and caught a glimpse of my baggy, baggy pants in the mirror. I could fit one of my kids in each leg with me! No wonder nobody notices how much weight I've lost.

It's a bit problematic, because my waist is still big, but my legs are skinny. Anything that will fit my waist is going to be at least a little baggy in the legs (I hate tight clothes!). I'm trying to be daring and choose things in smaller sizes. Yesterday it backfired on me because what I thought might be my new size made my waist look huge and lumpy. Sigh. Sometimes it depends on where you're shopping.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
My understanding is that there is a good market for gently used plus size clothing on Ebay, you might be able to sell some items.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #10

I used to do the one in, one out rule.... if I buy a shirt, I have to get rid of an old shirt.
It still works for me for shoes, but I'm terrible about hanging on to clothes I love.

Tim Gunn said to build a great wardrobe with 10 things.. a jacket, a skirt, trousers, a couple of shirts, a trench coat..... ANd then there's the notion of acknowledging your best colors and building outfits out of separates in that color family (with a few pieces of a 'pop' color to break it up).

I do the color thing when I travel.... white pants, light-colored jeans or trousers, black patterned skirt, white blouse, pastel tee, jewel-toned cardigan, a print blouse... I can get by with less pieces because they all go together.

Last edited by emel; 06-17-2013 at 04:02 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I like the Tim Gunn idea, but I am such a jeans and t gal that I just don't fit it.

That said I have SO MANY tshirts and stuff that are ready to GO! I have several pair of jeans that I am hoping will be way too big by fall and if they are they will go, but if they fit I need to have hemmed. And a couple of pair that I am hoping WILL fit, and again, if they do I need to have them hemmed. Meanwhile they are all in a clear bin in my bedroom. I HAVE to weed out my shirts and shoes though. That is on my declutter ASAP list.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
I like the Tim Gunn idea, but I am such a jeans and t gal that I just don't fit it.

That said I have SO MANY tshirts and stuff that are ready to GO! I have several pair of jeans that I am hoping will be way too big by fall and if they are they will go, but if they fit I need to have hemmed. And a couple of pair that I am hoping WILL fit, and again, if they do I need to have them hemmed. Meanwhile they are all in a clear bin in my bedroom. I HAVE to weed out my shirts and shoes though. That is on my declutter ASAP list.
Do you have "nice tees" "okay tees" and "ratty tees"?
--Keep your most favorite ratty tee. With the rest of the beloved ones, cut out the logos and frame them in a poster frame or put them in a photo album.
--your okay tees now get worn for the ratty tee days. You can cull these in the same manner.
--your nice tees get more wear now because you'll pick them instead of the okay tees any time you're not gonna get grubby.

Instant upgrade, with clothes you already love.

(the same works for slacks, jackets, etc)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Cool! My ratty Ts are for hair color or paintingOR a few just for fishing/blood, I have too many of those. My Ts aren't really 'logo' or concert Ts, Just plain Vneck pink, purple, blue, white Walmart Tshirts.
I sleep in my Not quite OK ts, and wear my 'ok' to 'good' ones with shorts. (For fall and winter make that 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve Ts) I an trying to upgrade to REAL tops for when we go out. I have a few of those LOL
My kids say I am hopeless, as I rarely actually buy retail, But get nice Tshirts from thrift stores. So my GOOD ones were someone else's "get rid of" pile.
I HAVE gotten a couple of 5k Tshirts from races, I am keeping those!!!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I'm sort of afraid to get rid of my too big clothes because you know how it goes, as soon as you get rid of something you need it again. I don't want to need these clothes again. I am expecially afraid of this because I did lose weight once before (not as much as I did this time) and gained it all back. I don't want to do that again and I fear if I get rid of them I will jinx myself.

Before I started low carb and lost weight, I got frustrated and got rid of most of my too small clothes. Then something clicked a week or two later and I lost the weight and wished I still had those clothes.

That being said, I am slowly getting rid of some stuff because I am running out of space. I have 15 Banker boxes of clothes that are too big in my spare bedroom closet. rid of some boxes. I am mostly keeping the items I like enough to buy again and basics like jeans and dress pants. Maybe I will eventually get rid of all of it, but it is going to take me a long time to feel safe.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have donated all my 'too big' clothes as soon as they became too big with the one exception of my largest ever jeans which I have tucked away to remind myself of how far I have come.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/161/135
Start Date: January 8 2013
I've always held on to clothes, too big, too small, whatever, I'd horde them.
Some time at the beginning of last year I finally "gave up" and got rid of all the stuff that was WAY too small - oh how I regret that!!

But, now, as soon as it's too big, it goes. No more permission to yoyo back and forth. I'm done being fat. DONE!

What my friends and I do is a clothing swap every 6 months or so. Someone hosts, invites a whole bunch of girlfriends, and everything goes in a big pile in the middle of the floor. Always a fun evening that ends with "new" treasures, and shedding of the old. Fun to watch stuff cycle around to new people too!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabat View Post
I've always held on to clothes, too big, too small, whatever, I'd horde them.
Some time at the beginning of last year I finally "gave up" and got rid of all the stuff that was WAY too small - oh how I regret that!!

But, now, as soon as it's too big, it goes. No more permission to yoyo back and forth. I'm done being fat. DONE!

What my friends and I do is a clothing swap every 6 months or so. Someone hosts, invites a whole bunch of girlfriends, and everything goes in a big pile in the middle of the floor. Always a fun evening that ends with "new" treasures, and shedding of the old. Fun to watch stuff cycle around to new people too!
the clothing swap....brilliant!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Everything goes. that is my motto.

anything too big is gone from this house AS I GET OUT of it.

I lost weight one time before. 70 lbs. gained back 50 cause it was low fat/low cal. and we all know most of us can't sustain that in maitenance LOL

well low/mod. carb is now my second diet.

but when I first lost I kept some of my ''really good'' heavier clothes. as I gained back I got into them.

dumb. if they weren't there I probably would have somehow made corrections to keep off the weight for long term vs. just getting into those bigger sizes I kept.

Now if I gain anything, I must go shopping. I don't want to do that little deterent for me to keep me losing now and to stay at goal long term.

good will, landfill, to friends. anything and every where the bigger clothes go. none will stay in this house with me
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CauliflowerPizza
I sold a lot of my clothes on ebay to fund the new clothes I wanted to buy--I earned several hundred dollars doing this, and it was an amazing feeling to buy new, smaller sizes without taking a hit to the wallet!

I gave some away via a clothing exchange to reward someone who had lost weight and could use the size I no longer needed. That felt really good, also.

Some went to the veterans' bin. Hope it helped.

I would like to know if any of you sew and have tried to refashion (google that term and see what I mean) any of your larger sized clothes? I have seen some people do amazing things with thrift store finds and am wondering if anyone here has tried doing that with things they already own? I don't know anything about sewing clothes, but would love to learn!

I kept one pair of jeans that were once way too tight and then became too large. I am back into those now--they are my "fat" jeans. As disappointed as I am with myself that they fit, I have to remind myself that they were once my "skinny" jeans and I was so happy that I fit into them. It illustrates to me that, yes, I have failed but not as much as I've succeeded.
CauliflowerPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
i used to keep my clothes, fat or skinny, cuz my weight yoyoed so much. i now just weed out whatever is too big and get rid of it at the end of the season. i do have a few "skinny" clothes from 20-30 years ago that i want to be able to fit into again, but the style (1980/90s) is so outdated that i'll never wear them again. dd needed some "old-looking" clothes for a school play she was in this spring and the "old" clothes she used were my 1980s ones! LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Do you have "nice tees" "okay tees" and "ratty tees"?
--Keep your most favorite ratty tee. With the rest of the beloved ones, cut out the logos and frame them in a poster frame or put them in a photo album.
--your okay tees now get worn for the ratty tee days. You can cull these in the same manner.
--your nice tees get more wear now because you'll pick them instead of the okay tees any time you're not gonna get grubby.

Instant upgrade, with clothes you already love.

(the same works for slacks, jackets, etc)
an aquaintance suggested saving only those tees that really mean something and making them into a "memory" quilt. i've saved tees from both dds, but haven't made the quilts yet. the same with those baby outfits that they looked soooo cute in.

goal: to have my "saved" 1980s skinny clothes fit me again

"abs are made in the kitchen" tom venuto

low carb eating - the fountain of youth
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
an aquaintance suggested saving only those tees that really mean something and making them into a "memory" quilt. i've saved tees from both dds, but haven't made the quilts yet.
They did that with the big guys college t-shirts on Rules of Engagement, too
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
I am terrified to get rid of my big clothing. I have lost and gained weight so many time before and quite honestly, I cannot afford not to keep them. I just don't have that kind of confidence in myself.
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #23

They are gone!

Salvation Army got a mountain of clothes a week or so ago & this week I took the best clothing to two different consignment shops to see which might be best to use. I decided while dropping them off at the first one that I would not take anything else there; it is a bad location & the gal helping me was rude. The second place is in a great location, a much nicer store & owned by a friendly pair of sisters. The pay-out is the same at both places.

I have a stack of jeans & a hamper filled with fall clothing to take to consignment in a few months. My closet is 3/4 empty but it sure is easy to see what I have! I'm not kidding when I moan "I have NOTHING to wear!" I do have lots of tank tops. Evidently I tell myself that I can always use another tank top when I can't find anything else to buy. No more tank tops...well, maybe just a few.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I kept my biggest pair of jeans as a reminder (they're the ones in my avatar).

Everything else got donated. I just brought 3 huge bags of clothes to Goodwill. All I have left now is a few shirts and pants. I really have very few clothes, and now that I'm not working in an office anymore, I can't even wear my nicer stuff anymore. I need to go shopping!

I don't want any bigger sizes in my house. There is no going back.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
I wear dresses, which I make for myself. This month I have finally gotten round to cleaning out my closet. Found people to give the dresses to, threw out old workout clothes, burned a ton of old undergarments! No going back!! AND I am busy making a whole new wardrobe!! I am hoping to have to do this again in another year, cleanout and make new!
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
I wear dresses, which I make for myself. This month I have finally gotten round to cleaning out my closet. Found people to give the dresses to, threw out old workout clothes, burned a ton of old undergarments! No going back!! AND I am busy making a whole new wardrobe!! I am hoping to have to do this again in another year, cleanout and make new!
It sounds like we're in similar places with our wardrobes! Tossing some things was scary for me but there was no point in holding onto them. Accepting that has been a wonderfully freeing experience.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I tailor them to fit or donate to Goodwill.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gordita
Stats: HW:338 CW:250 GW:189
WOE: LCHF
I've kept a few staple items for comparison sake, but the rest I've donated. I don't have a lot of room to begin with, and I don't like the clutter, so it helps me get them out the door. Another thing is that I don't want go back to them.
gordita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 233/229/180 5'11.5''
Start Date: Restart 23/8/14
I've kept just a few things for comparison, but donated the rest. I'm glad of it too, as I've been off track recently and my clothes have got tighter, and I have no choice but to knuckle down and start eating right again. I can't afford to buy new bigger clothes and I don't want to!
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote