Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Sugar free cool whip VS Regular cool whip.

I am fully aware and understand that i can whip up heavy cream and add splenda etc.I dont want that i enjoy the taste of cool whip much better than the real thing.Sounds strange but hey thats me.With that being said,Both cool whip products are very low carb.I would only eat 2 tbsps per serving anyway on occasion and not every day.The sugar free has 3 g carbs per serving and the regular has 2!Would you get the regular or the sugar free?Its a little confusing.
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
You won't get a whole lot of people saying they eat it.

That said, I guess there isn't much difference in carbs in either. If I had to choose between the two it would come down to the calories because I do watch calories.

If you are looking for something convenient I try to occasionally buy Land O Lakes Whipping cream in a can, it's in the refrigerated section by the heavy cream, in a yellow can, but it's sweetened with splenda. It taste very similar to cool whip I think.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
You won't get a whole lot of people saying they eat it.

That said, I guess there isn't much difference in carbs in either. If I had to choose between the two it would come down to the calories because I do watch calories.

If you are looking for something convenient I try to occasionally buy Land O Lakes Whipping cream in a can, it's in the refrigerated section by the heavy cream, in a yellow can, but it's sweetened with splenda. It taste very similar to cool whip I think.
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
I used it and lost weight. I did measure it out exactly though. I used to put on the jello. I think as long as you are losing it would be okay.
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmil30 View Post
I used it and lost weight. I did measure it out exactly though. I used to put on the jello. I think as long as you are losing it would be okay.
Yea i still loose on the cool whip i use it on top of sf jello orange or cherry when im craving sweets
Old 06-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I wouldn't use either one. Both contain trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Then it's a choice between high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.

I never had Cool Whip growing up, so I prefer real, natural whipped cream.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I use it rarely and I use the sugar free, they taste the same to me.
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carbonation
Stats: 195/162/135
WOE: atkins/on/atkins/off/...........
Start Date: May 2003
I don't really like Splenda but I can tolerate it and it helps me when I need something sweet. I didn't even know there was such a thing as sugar-free cool whip. (I will be looking for that yellow can!)
Did you gals see the blurb on msn the other day about Splenda causing leukemia in mice? I swear, every time I start to like something I find out it is bad or they quit making it.
carbonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

@carbonation, I did not see that put I will certainly search for it. I have been trying to convert to Stevia but it still gives me an aftertaste. I hope I can get use to it. In the meantime I use splenda.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I never liked the stevia taste either.It has a funny tongue feeling.Splenda is what i like because its closest to sugar.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I've really never been a fan of Cool Whip, but I do like whipped cream in a can on occasion. I usually buy the kind with sugar because the carbs are the same and both are low cal.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I was in Trader Joes the other day and they had their brand of a cool-whip-like product. I didn't read the label, but TJ products are generally fairly clean.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keta
Stats: 210/196/170 5'9" 50 y/o
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I've really never been a fan of Cool Whip, but I do like whipped cream in a can on occasion. I usually buy the kind with sugar because the carbs are the same and both are low cal.
That's what I've been using, Ocean... Reddi Whip or the store brand similar,... only 1 carb per serving, and it's fun to suck the air out when it's gone and catch a buzz.

Side note:
2nd post here, been lurking for a while and cannot see how I can feel part of a community here on such a behemoth board !!!! This is the 3rd forum I have joined, and I have NEVA seen so many posts and threads in my life !!!

I'll keep looking for ways to fit in, and who knows...

Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
That's what I've been using, Ocean... Reddi Whip or the store brand similar,... only 1 carb per serving, and it's fun to suck the air out when it's gone and catch a buzz.

Side note:
2nd post here, been lurking for a while and cannot see how I can feel part of a community here on such a behemoth board !!!! This is the 3rd forum I have joined, and I have NEVA seen so many posts and threads in my life !!!

Keta, just stick around, Check in daily and read and post, you will get the hang of it, and will get to recognize the regulars at least. Then friendships will start to form. Takes a little while, but like all friendships and groups, it take a minute to get into the groove and find your niche.
One good thing is to maybe start a "Hi I am Keta, I am new, I like.....I dislike.....or if you are comfortable, share your age, hobbies, interests outside of your WOE kind of thread....Introduce yourself!
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Keta.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:

Side note:

Keta! I agree with the PP's advice. Join in a challenge or two as well - it's a great way for the board to feel smaller.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I bought cool whip once since I started again in september and I was so surprised at how artificial and terrible the ingredients were. I never cared about that before low carb, but now everything I eat is so clean.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keta
Stats: 210/196/170 5'9" 50 y/o
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/1/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
Keta, just stick around, Check in daily and read and post, you will get the hang of it, and will get to recognize the regulars at least. Then friendships will start to form. Takes a little while, but like all friendships and groups, it take a minute to get into the groove and find your niche.
One good thing is to maybe start a "Hi I am Keta, I am new, I like.....I dislike.....or if you are comfortable, share your age, hobbies, interests outside of your WOE kind of thread....Introduce yourself!
Thanks for the reply, CC ~
Will start a thread on my next day off later in the week

Love your quote about 'sweat' in your siggy, never heard that one b4
Saw a funny cartoon the other day ... "I'm not fat, God gave me airbags because I am so precious." hehehe

Thanks for the 'welcome' Mistyzoom and srmil30. Will check out the challenge threads when I have more time.

Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:

Side note:

You'll find people who are approaching this way of eating just like you are, and you'll find people who are doing things a little differently. Just chime in, and don't be afraid to ask a question or to offer a thoughtful comment.
We're friendly. Welcome.

PS: I have been known to suck the air out of a can of rediwhip myself, back in my wilder days. So there's some common ground right there.

Last edited by emel; 06-18-2013 at 08:46 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine 57
Stats: 325/290/200
Start Date: ongoing
The Sf cool whip has corn syrup in it,too.read Atkin's book,he says to run the other way from foods containing corn syrup.I love coolwhip too,but know it will cause me to crave,and then binge.better to whip HWC
Sunshine 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 325/318/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
I love Cool Whip! I could eat a whole tub at once if you'd let me. That said, I rarely buy it. And the do-it-yourself whipped topping is nasty! But when I do buy Cool Whip, it's the regular, not the sugar free, that stuff isn't as good in my opinion. And my favorite use is either mixed with peanut butter or a spoonfull of frozen.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote