Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Weight loss stalls who is to blame?

Do you blame yourself or just "nature"when you have a weight loss stall?The reason i say this is because when does self accountability come in?Maybe everybody's body type is different but i notice when i am doing low carb 100% right no cheating no extra low carb sweets and treats i continue to loose and i have no stalls.Does anyone here experience no stalls?
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Well, I don't experience stalls, but that doesn't mean I lose steadily. I recently went through a period of almost three months (100% on plan) during which I lost about two pounds total. BUT I was losing inches, and went down over a size during that time.

I was not in a stall.

A stall is six weeks without pounds or inches lost.

IMO, people are too quick to freak out if the scale doesn't move consistently, and that's simply not realistic.

ETA: and to automatically assume that people are eating off plan or otherwise not following plan simply because they aren't losing the way you are is the height of arrogance. You are not the template for everyone, and people have different bodies, different metabolisms, different ages, etc. Heck, I'm losing more slowly than I did eleven years ago, when I first did Atkins. Is that because I'm somehow less strict now? No, it's because I'm eleven years older, significantly less healthy, hypothyroid, and less mobile than I was then. It has nothing to do with anything I can control. Life is what it is, we have to take it as it comes, and we can only control so much. That includes weight loss.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-15-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
When I was losing I could pretty much blame longer stalls on eating too much. Sometimes it's hard to adjust to having to eat smaller portions and your head still wants to eat for that overweight body but you can't do that if you want to keep losing.

I did have slow downs and short periods of time with no losses but I just saw those as normal. Like if I lost 3 pounds one week, and then only half a pound the next. On the other hand, the month that I lost nothing it was definitely due to too much food.

Obviously, I use the term stall differently than Dr. Atkins did. A stall to me is any period of time without loss when I am doing everything right and not losing and it's not because of a normal fluctuation or a slow down.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 06-15-2013 at 10:09 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/182/183 (173?)
WOE: JUDDD/CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
if i had a 6+ week stall (yes!) and i haven't had artificial sweeteners, frankenfoods, or other things that are known to stall, i blame nature. but that doesn't mean i give up. btw, i don't lose at a decent clip but in chunks. i have never lost like "normal" people. maybe i'm different, since i was obese starting at age 11, but i do believe that there are those that have real problems losing.

i have never been able to lose weight on atkins WITHOUT also calorie counting. everyone's different.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 06-15-2013 at 10:24 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Just as Ntombi said, I don't deviate from plan at all. I eat basically the same things every day. I'm not over consuming my calories, and I stick to a very strict meat, eggs, cheese, mayo, butter, olive oil, and coconut oil plan. That's it.

But at this point in my life, it comes off much slower than it used to, and I'll sometimes go a week or more without losing. During that time I'm not doing anything differently than I normally do.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Real stalls - 6 weeks no change on the scale AND no inches lost - don't happen all that often. If you use the scale only & let the number rule your emotions you're asking for trouble.

Our bodies do sometimes pause to adjust as we lose fat. Once adjusted to the change the fat-loss begins again. That is quite normal & it happens even when we eat 100% clean.

I don't understand the "blame" mindset at all. If you are not seeing results for an extended period of time there is a reason. It is not about "blame" but about discovering if there is a fixable reason for the stall. There may or may not be a change you can make to start losing again.

But, again, most "stalls" reported here are not really stalls but impatient dieters.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I try to recognize the issue and move on. I try not to overreact, because I don't know if it is a particular food choice or a "my body is dealing as well as it can" issue.

Ideally, I would:
--review what I eat to make sure I'm not getting too loose with the plan.
--remind myself that weight loss is not linear, and exercise/movement, water, food, stress, and quality of sleep all play a part in it.
--read lots of stuff because it is fun and to see if there's something I can add to my routine to keep me moving toward losses in the future.

I'm not saying I always react this way, but in my opinion, that's the mindset that will help me along the best.

I'm probably the oddball here because I don't care how long it takes me to lose. I refuse to stress over a weight outcome when I've been doing my best. It is what it is.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I had several weeks without losing. Now, I just eat burgers, so it sure wasn't my food preventing me from losing! Then, I starred to lose again. I made no changes. Right now, I am aging. Again, I have made no changes. I really do not worry about my weight, for me it is about my health.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
oh I ABSOLUTELY stall when eating a perfect low carb woe. I have stalled for YEARS that way.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
We sometimes use the machine metaphor to talk about our bodies, but I don't find it very helpful. I believe our bodies are more complex and variable than machines. I look for both similarites to my pattern and divergences my pattern here (well, try to most of the time) . . both are informative. It's a risky leap to overgeneralize from our own experiences. That's why I like YMMV . . . . once I figured out what it meant!

In my experience, it seems clear that it is much harder for me to drop weight than when I was younger. Some older women may not share this experience, but based on my reading here I think this experience is shared by many but it is not a law, it's a pattern. I could be wrong and would sure like to have that pointed out to me (gently). I have revised several (wrong!) opinions since starting here in March!

Last edited by Patience; 06-16-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
We sometimes use the machine metaphor to talk about our bodies, but I don't find it very helpful. I believe our bodies are more complex and variable than machines. I look for both similarites to my pattern and divergences my pattern here (well, try to most of the time) . . both are informative. It's a risky leap to overgeneralize from our own experiences. That's why I like YMMV . . . . once I figured out what it meant!

In my experience, it seems clear that it is much harder for me to drop weight than when I was younger. Some older women may not share this experience, but based on my reading here I think this experience is shared by many but it is not a law, it's a pattern. I could be wrong and would sure like to have that pointed out to me (gently). I have revised several (wrong!) opinions since starting here in March!
SOOOO Much Harder for me now that I'm older! I've taken 4 months to lose 50 pounds, and in my 20's and 30's I could have lost that in 6 weeks without a problem. I've always gained very quickly and lost very quickly, but not any more. I still gain very quickly, but can't lose quickly like I used to. Getting older sucks!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
SOOOO Much Harder for me now that I'm older! I've taken 4 months to lose 50 pounds, and in my 20's and 30's I could have lost that in 6 weeks without a problem. I've always gained very quickly and lost very quickly, but not any more. I still gain very quickly, but can't lose quickly like I used to. Getting older sucks!
This is what really motivated me to get the weight off in my mid 20s. My mom basically told me once you hit 30, it's gonna be so much harder, so why wait? Now, I'm closer to 30 than 20 so I am even more motivated to not regain because I do not want to go through weight loss again with an older body and slower metabolism. Once was enough.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I blame everyone and everything except me

no, well....I do blame nature. age, your body and how it reacts, etc. tons and tons of reasons you might not lose faster.

plus eating. there are times I know 'my stall and holding at X weight' is because a bit too much goes in the old trap and down the gullet.

stalls. sure I have them. 99% of them are made by me
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I blame everyone and everything except me
I think this is an excellent policy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I don't understand the "blame" mindset at all. If you are not seeing results for an extended period of time there is a reason. It is not about "blame" but about discovering if there is a fixable reason for the stall. There may or may not be a change you can make to start losing again.
And I agree completely that blame doesn't need to be part of the picture here at all. The truth of the matter is that it is *really* hard to find a plan that works for you (at least ime, I do see people that seem to just jump on any plan and it works, but for some of us just figuring out what will work is hard) and it can be, for many of us, very hard to stay on that plan. A huge part of all that is about our chemistry and I'm not sure how I could be to blame for that. It is what it is and if I want to be thinner and healthier, I have to work pretty hard on it. But, ya know, I wouldn't "blame" myself if I completely gave up and went back to eating chocolate cake bc it is really freaking hard. I do pat myself on the back for doing a good job, though!

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
As one of those older women, I've found it EXTREMELY hard to lose weight now that I'm pushing 60 and post-menopause. I used to lose easily on Atkins, but I'd get lazy and give up and go back to SAD. Heck, when I was younger, I could lose weight doing anything!

I couldn't lose any weight at all until I started taking metformin for insulin resistance--eating low carb wasn't helping to lower my insulin resistance at all, but metformin worked well. I tried for over 6 months before I started metformin and couldn't lose a pound. After that, I slowly started losing, and that date (January 2012) is what I count as my "start" date.

What I have found THIS time is that as I lose weight, I have to modify what and how I'm eating. It has been a continual process of change over the past 18 months. The first 6 months were the hardest (even with metformin)--something would work for a few weeks, then stop working. So I'd look more and try some modifications.

Since I went ketogenic about a year ago, I've continued to lose VERY VERY VERY slowly and have been stalled for the past three months. However, I have not regained any weight and I'm happy about that. Now I feel ready to try to lose the last 10-15 pounds so I'm tightening up what/how much I eat, see if I can raise my ketone levels, and see if the last few pounds will come off.

I'm also working with a naturopathic endocrinologist to tweak my thyroid meds and that may help a little (but I don't think it'll make that much difference for losing weight).

Weight loss has become quite a journey for me, and yes, at times its hard, but the 90 lbs. gone is well worth it and I won't go back.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
and it can be, for many of us, very hard to stay on that plan.
I think it's hard for everyone to stay on plan long enough to get to goal and maintain. I've been doing this for years now and the other day I felt such an intense impulse to dive into my friend's snack stash for no reason and it took about 10 mins to talk myself out of it. (I do eat higher carb foods but they are always planned and never spur of the moment ).
Old 06-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: February 13 2013
I give a lot of credit to those who can be objective and recognize that there are many internal and external factors that can cause stalls, and not play the blame game. I wish I was one of those people! Stall after stall (and I'm talking 1-2 weeks, not even really a stall) I search for explanations and feel a lot of disappointment. All of the positives like having lost 2 inches off my waist and 4 off my navel over the past 6 weeks, just seem inconsequential. I find myself ruled by emotion and that does two things - makes me want to eat and then beat myself up the whole time I'm working to lose it. I'm in a 'stall' right now. A good opportunity to take a step back and not stress.

Starting Weight: 240
Goal #1: 213 - met 3/26
Goal #2: 200 - met 5/4
Half way there - rejoined onederland 6/3!
Goal #3: 190 - met 7/2
Goal #4: 180
Goal #5: 170
Goal #6: 160
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote