Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
First time eating out since starting low carb.

Quite a success!

But it wasn't easy..... My wife had a salad with lots of stuff I can no longer eat. My one daughter had a wrap with fries, and my other daughter had a spicy chicken sandwich with fries. We also had an app of spinach / artichoke dips with chips.

So, what did I have? I had a bacon cheeseburger without the bun or the fries.... Now here is where it got "interesting"..... I asked if I could have them put some salad on the plate instead of the fries and bun. The waitress said I would be charged for a separate salad, so I asked for the manager. I explained that I am diabetic, and eat low carb, and that the amount of salad I wanted was surely less costly than the bun and the fries, and that IMO, they shouldn't charge me. ( I literally wanted only 1 - 1.5 cups of salad ).

The manager started to hem and haw that it wasn't company policy. I said "That's fine, but it seems rather silly for you to lose $60 or $70 in revenue over 50 cents of salad." He didn't respond right away, so I told my family that we should go across the parking lot to TGIF. Guess who changed his mind in 2 seconds?

Anyway, I ate my spinach and artichoke dip with celery sticks.

When my entree came, I don't know what happened.... I had asked for " a cup or so of salad" to act as a bed for my burger... and what came out was a GIGANTIC salad... like 5 to 6 cups of salad. I was only able to eat about 25% of the salad, and that is why I asked for only a cup or so.

Anyway, it wasn't easy..... I am a french fries, covered in ketchup, kind of guy.... I love chips with dips.....

And hard as it was, I didn't have even a single nibble of anything that I wasn't supposed to eat.... even though, my wife said, more than once, "One or two fries won't hurt you."...... Well, maybe they wouldn't knock me out of ketosis, but it would be crack in the armor.

Anyway, I made it through unscathed. I'm pretty proud of that.

Last edited by Garlic; 06-14-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
that is great. you need to know yourself on the "one or two won't hurt you" thing. for me, it can be the start of a 9 month bender if I am not careful. I wake up 75 lb heavier. I am serious. I have to "just say no."
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
That's fantastic. You really have to stick to your guns about tour food when it comes to eating out. Be very firm. It will keep you right on track. I've luckily not had too too many problems, then again, I'm very vocal in life and kind of the don't take crap attitude, so people don't mess with me much in general lol.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Hey Garlic...

I'm REALLY proud of you and I hope you are proud of yourself...you made great choices and really took control of the situation! You might gently explain to your wife that it would be easier for you if she realized that this is a metabolic way of eating and that ketosis is important to you and it very well could be 5 french fries that does knock you out....hopefully she will stop suggesting that you nibble because next time you might not always feel so strong!

Great job
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Congratulations!

I eat out fairly often, everything from fast food to fine dining, and I hardly ever have a problem ordering and eating on plan. After a while, you'll lose your anxiety about it.

And as long as you keep saying no, your wife will eventually stop offering.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Spouses give up pushing food after a few months. It is hard for them to lose their eating partner. And good for you on speaking up and threatening to leave. I am also very direct in ordering, but most places bend over backwards to please me.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dawnpacz
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2006
Good job!
dawnpacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Way to stick to your guns! Love that! And a Huge Congrats on sticking to your LC eatting! You should feel Very proud!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
Good for you! Nothing is harder than not giving in to those fries, I know how you feel - potatoes of any kind are a major weakness for me! After a while you'll get used to passing up 'just one or two fries' and your family will get used to you not splurging every time you eat out, and they'll stop asking.

I have the opposite problem - my brothers know better than to let me eat anything I'm not supposed to when we eat out because I get crabby when my insulin spikes
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
way to go! kutgw!
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Nice work Garlic! I have to eat out a fair bit for work and family/social demands. It's not easy when everyone around you is ordering some of the foods you love. My hardest moment is always when the bread basket comes around. I try not to even peak at it as I pass it, because I know it will be calling to me.

I often go to the restaurant site before going out and plan my low carb order. I actually enjoy this because I'm always the last one to be able to make up her mind on the menu, so no pressure this way, and it keeps me firmer in my commitment.

Also---I have found most restaurants will not sub a side salad for side dishes w/out charging you, so lucky you. I have talked them into charging me only half for the salad. Even at Hardees you pay 20 cents more for a burger in a lettuce wrap. It's irritating, but maybe lettuce is more expensive for them
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sugarfreebabe
WOE: Atkins+extended induction
Start Date: 4-19-13
Golden corral is my favorite place but its torture to eat low carb there. I stick to my guns when i eat there too.Congrats and stay strong.
Sugarfreebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marsha30
WOE: low carb
Wait to go, soo true about the bite of fries being a crack in the amour, good job on remaining focused!
marsha30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
Golden corral is my favorite place but its torture to eat low carb there
I know what you mean! They actually have a ton of good low carb options.... its just not helping yourself to the NON-low carb tasty stuff that's so hard!!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #16

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Golden coral has a carving station, perfect for low carb!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slange66
garlic

Great job! Encouraging for me.
slange66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Nice work Garlic! I have to eat out a fair bit for work and family/social demands. It's not easy when everyone around you is ordering some of the foods you love. My hardest moment is always when the bread basket comes around. I try not to even peak at it as I pass it, because I know it will be calling to me.

I often go to the restaurant site before going out and plan my low carb order. I actually enjoy this because I'm always the last one to be able to make up her mind on the menu, so no pressure this way, and it keeps me firmer in my commitment.

Also---I have found most restaurants will not sub a side salad for side dishes w/out charging you, so lucky you. I have talked them into charging me only half for the salad. Even at Hardees you pay 20 cents more for a burger in a lettuce wrap. It's irritating, but maybe lettuce is more expensive for them
Good job Garlic! I have done the same thing as Blue Skies - check out the restaurant website for nutrition info before hand. Also my experience with sides is the same as hers - if a side dish is listed on their normal "sides" menu they will let you sub no problem (for example, steamed veggies instead of fries), however if salad is not on the sides menu (and often it isn't) they will want to charge you more, as it is considered an "extra". Of course you can solve this by going to a restaurant that automatically gives you a salad plus a side. Or you can keep doing what you did, I suppose!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #19

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Seafood places serve drawn butter with the steamed seafood. Ask for it with anything-- a bunless burger, grilled chicken, side of broccoli, whatever. As long as they use real butter, it's a quick way to jazz up a boring choice. Add a couple lemon wedges and you're good to go.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Well, we were supposed to go to one restaurant but it had a 45 minute wait... In fact, this restaurant was our 4th choice because the first 3 had too lo mg of a wait. Seems silly to me not to exchange fries and a roll for a cup and a half of salad. The salad costs less than fries and a roll I am betting.

Last edited by Garlic; 06-16-2013 at 02:40 PM..