LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Its been a year!

So I cant believe it has already been a year, as of June 12/12 since re committing to low carb. During my first go at low carb I treated it like a diet and gained it all back. My promise to myself this time, to make it a lifestyle, was to be realistic and to do it in a way that I can stick with for life and maintenance. I accepted slower weight loss to eat fruit when I want and by doing so I didnt find the cravings as bad. I still have my days where I crash and burn, usually when I am hungry and unprepared. They dont happen often and I will admit to feeling pretty grounded. I pretty much stopped losing weight last November, the darn last 10 is the worst, but I guess it has been great practice for maintenance. I have yet to adjust my calories and I dont count carbs so I guess I am pretty lucky for that. So in a year I have lost nearly 30 pounds, went from a size 12/14 to a 7/8, and have trained to run 5km's. My confidence is good for the most part, and I have become a teacher to those that want to learn about my way of eating. I have converted both my mom and dad. My dad, whome is 66, has copd, 6'2, close to 300 pounds, and an alcoholic. He has quit drinking, smoking, and dropped 50 pounds since starting in April. He purchased a treadmill and exercises daily. He is proud of me and I am amazingly proud of him.!
Anyways I might not be dropping pounds anymore but I continue to learn and grow.

Last edited by canadiangirl; 06-14-2013 at 05:27 AM..
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Congratulations on your success! And how wonderful that you actively inspiring others!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
My dad, whome is 66, has copd, 6'2, close to 300 pounds, and an alcoholic. He has quit drinking, smoking, and dropped 50 pounds since starting in April. He purchased a treadmill and exercises daily. He is proud of me and I am amazingly proud of him.
That is incredible. It must have been really hard for a man his age to make all those positive changes. What a gift he is giving himself and your family.

Congratulations on your loss! I will say, and please don't take this as discouraging: the ten pounds between 135 and 125 are going to take more dedication and work, and you probably will need to cut back on calories at this point if you want to get there. And it will be slower. If you haven't lost anything in the past six months, and you do want to get to 125, you probably need to start reducing your food by another few hundred calories a day. If you don't want to do that, that's fine, but then you need to be okay with maintaining at your current weight as you've been doing.

It's your choice and I hope you end up happy with what you choose. It's really not hard to shave off a few hundred calories, though. I know a lot of people are afraid to cut their calories, but you will not know how satisfied you can be on less food until you give it a try. Most changes are a little uncomfortable at first but we can get used to them.

If you want to get to your goal, I say you should go for it. My last ten pounds took around eight months, but I am glad I didn't give up!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Congratulations to you!! When you talked about all the positive changes your dad has been able to achieve with your help, I seriously got choked up. You are an inspiration!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Wow , an inspiring read . Well done !

Last edited by Aleina; 06-14-2013 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: smiley
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Congratulations on your success and the hugely positive effect you have had on you Dad!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Congratulations on your loss! I will say, and please don't take this as discouraging: the ten pounds between 135 and 125 are going to take more dedication and work, and you probably will need to cut back on calories at this point if you want to get there. And it will be slower. If you haven't lost anything in the past six months, and you do want to get to 125, you probably need to start reducing your food by another few hundred calories a day. If you don't want to do that, that's fine, but then you need to be okay with maintaining at your current weight as you've been doing.!
Thanks for the advice! I have come to the conclusion awhile ago that I do need to tweek things to keep going on my journey but at this moment I am working hard on my fitness goals and just am not ready to make the leap yet to cut things out. My first go at low carb had me tweek to the point of removing everything that made this plan so do-able and I was just miserable. Flax used to be a problem, almond flour, cheese, all fruit, and I found I had so many food sensitivities by the end and that is where I gave up. My lowest weight I got to last time was 137 and it was so hard to maintain. So I try not to focus on what is causing me to not lose since removing what makes low carb "easy" is not an option for me. I have been playing with portion size and having a smaller breakfast or lunch as it will cut calories without the need for counting. I can definitely do this without it having too big an impact on me...I hope this change will eventually get me closer to goal without the need to cut out too much....I am okay with slow...I've been stalled (on the scale) for months but my body has been consistently changing thanks to running so that has helped to keep me motivated. Also the support from this group has been amazing in my journey and I 100% know I couldn't have done it without the help from Low Carb Friends.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
at this moment I am working hard on my fitness goals and just am not ready to make the leap yet to cut things out.
Personally I think that sounds good. Fitness goals are important. I didn't realize, when I posted to you earlier, that I'd already read some of your posts in that thread about what to do when people say "enough is enough". You're 5' 6"--134 and fit might be perfect for you. It sounds like you are pretty happy with all the positive changes you've made, so I think I misspoke when I talked about "the last ten pounds". You're probably already maintaining at a nice weight for yourself.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Personally I think that sounds good. Fitness goals are important. I didn't realize, when I posted to you earlier, that I'd already read some of your posts in that thread about what to do when people say "enough is enough". You're 5' 6"--134 and fit might be perfect for you. It sounds like you are pretty happy with all the positive changes you've made, so I think I misspoke when I talked about "the last ten pounds". You're probably already maintaining at a nice weight for yourself.
You are right on the mark , you definately didnt misspeak! I appreciate everyones input and you basically said what I already know but hearing it helps so thank-you.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Congrats!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Wants to add my congrats to you!!!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Congrats On Your Success!
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Congratulations! To you and your dad!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
I want to add my congrats to you and your dad also,great job!!!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
Start Date: May 16 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
. My confidence is good for the most part, and I have become a teacher to those that want to learn about my way of eating. I have converted both my mom and dad. My dad, whome is 66, has copd, 6'2, close to 300 pounds, and an alcoholic. He has quit drinking, smoking, and dropped 50 pounds since starting in April. He purchased a treadmill and exercises daily. He is proud of me and I am amazingly proud of him.!
Anyways I might not be dropping pounds anymore but I continue to learn and grow.
Best post I've read in quite a while - and congratulations!!
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote