LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
As you approach your goal weight...

How do you feel as you get closer and closer to your goal weight? I cheated and stepped on the scale this afternoon. By cheated, I mean that I weigh no more than once a week because I can't stomach fluctuations and find them demotivating. (My normal day is Thursday.)

Well, about half an hour later, I felt this burst of euphoria lol! Considering the rough past couple of days I've had (I was dumped Saturday), I should have probably been concerned that I was in throws of some weird psychotic thing, but I'm a good 95% sure that I wasn't.

It's like it finally dawned on me that I'm going to reach my goal, and I am genuinely happy about it.

It's been such a lonnggggggg trip. I was so far from my destination that I spent the majority of it with no weight goal whatsoever. The idea of setting a goal weight that would surely be less than the number of lbs I had to lose to get to it (aka a whole person) was overwhelming The only object of my mission was to lose or maintain but don't gain.

I did not finally set a goal weight until April. And while I am still not ruled by the numbers on the scale, I must admit I am delighted to see an end in sight! I have no illusions that anything magical is going to happen or that my work will be done, but doggone it I also know I will feel like my ship has finally reached the port.

Yah!
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02

I have no idea, and I can't wait to find out. Last time I lost over 80 pounds, I was still about 40 pounds away when my life derailed. I haven't even made it that far yet this go 'round, I have to lose about as much as you, and I'm only at the forty pound mark so far.

Congratulations to you! When you do get to goal, I'm interested to hear how you maintain. I have heard over and over that that has its own set of challenges.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Wow, you've lost a tremendous amount and should be very proud of yourself.

I'm glad to hear you sounding so determined that you will reach your goal. It sounds like it's been a long process for you, and I hope you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment when you do get to that ideal weight. Maintenance is well worth any new challenges or lessons that will continue to be learned.

Congratulations. Keep up the positive attitude.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ntombi!

Life can indeed be funny like that, but you got back up and are pushing on through as well. That's all we can do.

I know maintenance will be a challenge, but I have the additional incentive of limited funds plus the desire to walk around in more than fig leaves lol. (I have been donating my clothes along way.)
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Very good point! I'm still "shopping" in my closet, but a whole new wardrobe is challenging, for sure.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Wow, you've lost a tremendous amount and should be very proud of yourself.

I'm glad to hear you sounding so determined that you will reach your goal. It sounds like it's been a long process for you, and I hope you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment when you do get to that ideal weight. Maintenance is well worth any new challenges or lessons that will continue to be learned.

Congratulations. Keep up the positive attitude.
Thanks Peanutte! You lost a lot as well. Any maintenance tips?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Just keep doing what has already been working all this time. Be confident, but stay vigilant. Maintenance is about protecting our losses, not relaxing or being "done".

I look forward to reading a happy post from you when you do get to goal.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
How do you feel as you get closer and closer to your goal weight?
Frustrated mostly. trying to find the balance between carbs, calories, hunger and family friendly is becoming a strain. The only real good 'news' I had recently is once I reach maintainace, as long as carbs stay under what ever my maximum is, I can relax on the calories a bit. I wont lose, but I wont gain either.

BTW, WTG on doing so well!
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just keep doing what has already been working all this time. Be confident, but stay vigilant. Maintenance is about protecting our losses, not relaxing or being "done".

I look forward to reading a happy post from you when you do get to goal.
That's the plan! Admittedly, I've been practicing maintenance all along the way rather than the yo-yo ing that got me there in the first place.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Frustrated mostly. trying to find the balance between carbs, calories, hunger and family friendly is becoming a strain. The only real good 'news' I had recently is once I reach maintainace, as long as carbs stay under what ever my maximum is, I can relax on the calories a bit. I wont lose, but I wont gain either.

BTW, WTG on doing so well!
Thanks lilbeetle!

I can certainly see how family friendly can get complicated. You'll sort it out.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
As I get closer, it is harder. I am having problems getting off the last 20%. I now need to up the exercise and really start looking at calories. It will bring a new set of challenges. I am not sure I am will to make the changes yet. So I have been stuck for 10 weeks.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #12

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
What an inspiring post, Belle! Thank you for sharing.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
As I get closer to goal, I'm actually feeling pretty good. I've decided I'm just going to stay the course - the weight is coming off slower because there is less of it and I'm not going to tinker. It's all still working. I am just going to be patient.

Another thing I didn't heed originally when I first did Atkins - there's no need to rush to get to a specific number. I'm going to be there or near there for the rest of my life.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
To all intents and purposes you have met your goal already. What an amazing achievement! Congratulations!

Now you will face what we are all faced with if we have success --- the maintenance challenge. There are many people on this board who prove it can be done. But it's a learning curve. And I think, like everything else, it's different for all of us. But what I've noticed among those who are successful at keeping it off is that none of them fool themselves into thinking they can go back to what they used to eat. They try new things and they "tweak" and they experiment. But none of them delude themselves into thinking they've solved the problem. There's a sense that this struggle is ongoing --- sometimes harder than at other times --- but never ending.

I think there's some comfort in knowing that. And the good news is that we have some tools other than starvation and hunger to make that struggle doable.

Good luck. And, again, congratulations on your amazing achievement.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

I have no idea, and I can't wait to find out. Last time I lost over 80 pounds, I was still about 40 pounds away when my life derailed. I haven't even made it that far yet this go 'round, I have to lose about as much as you, and I'm only at the forty pound mark so far.

Congratulations to you! When you do get to goal, I'm interested to hear how you maintain have. I have heard over and over that that has its own set of challenges.

I won't thread-jack by going into all the details, but suffice to say...

losing the weight phase , is the easy part!!, as there are many perks and motivators to keep ya going..( yanno, oohs and aahs, smaller clothes, declining numbers on the scale, frequent compliments, positive body changes, so forth and so on...)...

When all that wears off ( and it will! !) you then have to adjust to your "new normal". Its not bad, just different..

Maintenance for me, comes easily, because I've made significant life style changes along the way and IMHO, unless you change more than just your diet, long term success is fleeting...

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Congratulations! And what a great question....

I don't know how I feel! I'm actually below my original goal...I started out thinking that I would be happy if I hit 220; when I did that, I thought "well, maybe I'll try for 200"...when I did that, I thought "well, maybe I'll try for 175." I've been in the 180-185 range for many months now and I STILL have no idea how I really feel about it all.

I'm thinking this is where my body wants to be, but I don't know. My vanity wants me to get to 170/175 because that is where I was for most of my teens and 20s (I'm tall with broad shoulders and truly big bones). But I'm a very very long way away from my 20s now.

I've gotten all new clothes, but I still don't know how to shop in "normal" sizes. I still see myself as being FAT and all I see is my waistline (metabolic middle--lost about 12 inches but there is still some there).

How does one adapt? I'm not even sure if I'm enjoying my new body...it's such a change...even though I've been at this weight now for about 6 months, and below 200 for close to a year now.

So I continue on with my conflicts. I won't let myself gain weight, but I'm not sure how long it will take me to really start to enjoy my "new" body. Sometimes the mind-talk and thinking habits of 30 years or so can be hard to break.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

Weezy, maybe you can help yourself adjust by remembering what you used to feel like when you were younger and thinner, in your "old" body. This really isn't a "new" body you're adjusting to--it's the body size you used to have, or close to it, anyway. (I mean, obviously we have some differences from our 20s to our 40s or 50s, but still.)

I think it's a different experience for those who have always been overweight or obese and truly don't know what they will look like at a thinner weight than they have ever been.

It also helps to look at photos of yourself after you've been at a certain weight for some time (as you have been for some months now). When I first got back down to 170, 160, 150 and 140, I saw those progress pictures as being thinner than I now see them, because I was comparing what I saw to the version of myself I had hated seeing at my heaviest. And that was okay! It didn't do any harm to have a visual interpretation that skewed toward seeing myself as thinner as I continued losing.

But, once I got to 120 and a little lower, I can now look back with some distance and objectivity and see that yes, I have looked the same in any pictures taken over these last three years. It doesn't matter any more--candid pictures taken by others, family pictures, even if they are not a flattering angle or I'm making a weird face--they all show me the same body and the same size, and I like the way I look. It lines up with how I see myself in my head and in the mirror. That is how I knew I was truly at goal--when I looked, in pictures, like my "old self".

It is also helpful (for me) to be able to be honest about looking back at my progress pictures from 125, 130, etc and seeing that I look chunkier at those weights than I thought I did at the time. That helps me remain motivated not to regain. Sure, it's "just" five or ten pounds from here, but it's really good to know what a difference that made. I know that part of what enabled me to gain so much weight was not seeing it, incrementally, or adjusting my eyes to excuse it--so I do not want to ever make that mistake again.

Congratulations on your loss! I hope you are able to start feeling better about what you've accomplished, and more comfortable in your thinner body, because what you've done is really great.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:

It is also helpful (for me) to be able to be honest about looking back at my progress pictures from 125, 130, etc and seeing that I look chunkier at those weights than I thought I did at the time. That helps me remain motivated not to regain. Sure, it's "just" five or ten pounds from here, but it's really good to know what a difference that made. I know that part of what enabled me to gain so much weight was not seeing it, incrementally, or adjusting my eyes to excuse it--so I do not want to ever make that mistake again.
It's so interesting that you say that because I've had the opposite reaction. I maintained my weight at around 115 for many years. (I'm 5'6") I thought I looked terrific even though I had close friends who said I had an eating disorder because I looked gaunt but was constantly dieting and over-exercising. Now I look at pictures of myself at that weight and realize that I had a very distorted view of how I looked.

I wonder if low carb has a role in regulating that dysmorphic reaction? It seems as though most people who are successful in low carb maintenance have been able to find peace with their weight in a way that I didn't see so much when I was in weight watchers. There's just less desperation about it.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

I don't think low carb has anything to do with how I perceive myself, personally. I just think weight gain and weight loss can lull us into not seeing ourselves accurately, and I don't trust the opinion of friends because most women have a bias one way or the other. I couldn't entirely trust my own eyes because we all know we have seen ourselves in the mirror and then been shocked at how different we look in pictures. This is why I feel I have to trust photos, but even more so with some distance (meaning, looking at them again later, not just at the time they're taken) and objectivity.

Sometimes we won't know what our final goal is until we get closer to it. Back when I was losing, I thought 140 would be my healthy, appropriate, attractive goal weight (because it's on the upper edge of the BMI for my height). Once I got there--I realized that no, that still looks pudgy on me. At that time, I had this idea that "adult women" shouldn't try to weigh what they used to naturally weigh when they were younger. Well, why not? I don't see why being further into adulthood ought to mean I allow more padding. It doesn't look any better on me than it did when I was younger--I am still the same height and have the same skeleton. Of course things won't be arranged exactly the same way, but I didn't grow an extra five pounds of breast tissue or an extra five pounds of bones in adulthood so it's more or less the same body. I realize my thought process is personal, though, and isn't going to apply to everyone.

So, I don't think low-carb has anything in particular to do with that for me, but maybe it does for other people. Body acceptance is really an individual thing for each of us. Some people do keep on losing and losing, and trying to get thinner and thinner and don't seem to know how they look; I am not one of those people. Unfortunately, I had the opposite problem--when I was gaining.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
. I just think weight gain and weight loss can lull us into not seeing ourselves accurately, and I don't trust the opinion of friends because most women have a bias one way or the other. I couldn't entirely trust my own eyes because we all know we have seen ourselves in the mirror and then been shocked at how different we look in pictures. This is why I feel I have to trust photos, but even more so with some distance (meaning, looking at them again later, not just at the time they're taken) and objectivity.

At that time, I had this idea that "adult women" shouldn't try to weigh what they used to naturally weigh when they were younger. Well, why not? I don't see why being further into adulthood ought to mean I allow more padding. It doesn't look any better on me than it did when I was younger--I am still the same height and have the same skeleton.

Very good points. When I was gaining I thought 140 wasn't so bad. I was stuffing myself into clothes that were too small so I didn't feel too bad about my clothing size either. I avoided looking at pictures of myself as well. When I started to lose weight and got to 140 on the way down, whoa! big shock, 140 and me = fat. And, most people can't be trusted for an honest assessment of how you look, especially since half the population is overweight or obese.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #21

It's been over a month--it would be nice to get an update from Belle. I hope she is making progress!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I have tremendous respect for the people I've met here who have pulled off major losses, and I'm grateful for wisdom on the art of maintenance, too. I'm really bothered by the statistics you read about regaining, and think it would just break my heart to have to start all over. Even though part of me really wants to drop these last pounds fast, I am trying to take the advice of the latest book I read, which told me to start thinking maintenance at this point and accept slower weight loss.

I wonder if I will ever be able to control my intake without journaling food. I work at home most of the time, and I know that if I weren't writing down every bite (except for the handfuls of arugula, LOL) I would be tucking away a little bit here and a little bit there. Those "little bits" can seriously derail you when you're at the point it takes ten days or more to lose a pound. I worry that I will still be hungry at my maintenance weight, that's the main thing. I never was very good at dealing with being hungry.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote