LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Awesome Dawn!

What a wonderful health report. Thumbs up! Now if you can just your hubby to take it.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
Fantastic Dawn! I just picked up "The Coconut Oil Miracle" book at the library (written my Bruce Fife).

I have a salad dressing that I love, but it uses some vegetable oil. I'm now going to use a combo of olive oil and coconut oil. The book states that when the two are mixed, the co doesn't harden as much in the fridge. We'll see. I'm going to make some for my salad today.
Hi Jebber! Thanks for posting the name of the book.

I struggle with salad dressing storage so I usually just make enough for one use which definitely is inconvenient for some recipes. I'd be really interested in seeing some of the recipes in the book.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
I have 2 jars of coconut oil. I absolutely hate the flavor. I have to force myself to use it, and still I only use it once or twice a month to EAT... However, it does keep my feet soft. I am diabetic, and my heels were horrifically dry and cracked... Coconut oil fixed that right up!
Hi Garlic! I did get a second jar for moisturizing since it did so well on my lips after I tasted it the first time.

I started off using it at night but that was too much of a hassle so now I've been mixing a bit in with my lotion every morning. It's too early to tell if there are any long term changes but I do look more hydrated than with lotion alone. (Side note: I give special attention to my stomach. I figure if it's supposed to work from the inside then it certainly couldn't hurt to rub some on the outside lol.)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Garlic, you can buy c.o. that is flavourless. It is refined. Save the unrefined for your feet and buy yourself something that you don't hate.
Hi clackley! I can't remember what I read, but does the refined have all the properties of the virgin. Are all the chains, sun, moon, and stars (lol) still in alignment?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #65
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Coconut oil is also a decent sun screen for those who prefer not to use the commercially made stuff.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Coconut oil is also a decent sun screen for those who prefer not to use the commercially made stuff.
It is what I use in the summer when I go out in the sun. Well, whenever I get out in the sun. I am fair skinned and never tanned well. I used to burn, peel, fade. Then start over again. Now, I use the coconut oil on my skin head to toe, before and after going out in the sun and I brown nicely. For once I am nicely tanned and not burned
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
What a wonderful health report. Thumbs up! Now if you can just your hubby to take it.
Thank you. I forgot to mention that my good cholesterol is NOT in my genes either. Or at least that is what I hear from my mom. No one in my family has heart disease, so I don't know if she can claim that! But my mom IS on statins for high cholesterol/high triglycerides. She tells me she will never be off them
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #68

Quote:
Hi Garlic! I did get a second jar for moisturizing since it did so well on my lips after I tasted it the first time.

I started off using it at night but that was too much of a hassle so now I've been mixing a bit in with my lotion every morning. It's too early to tell if there are any long term changes but I do look more hydrated than with lotion alone. (Side note: I give special attention to my stomach. I figure if it's supposed to work from the inside then it certainly couldn't hurt to rub some on the outside lol.)
Again, don't mean to be harping on the thyroid so much but I do have a bum one I put some oil on my neck in hopes the oil sinks into the thyroid helping it function better. That was suggested by a highly regarded LCF member way back when (anyone remember fawn ). It certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raytamtay3
Stats: SW: 155 - CW: 148 GW: 140/145 Ht. 5'6"
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: September 29, 2014
[QUOTE=SouthernBelle;16470469]Hi raytamtay! I'd say that's definitely a success story. Cool beans! Did you make any other changes and how much CO have you been using

Between 1 to 2 Tbsp.

Also after incorporating it into my "diet", I've finally registered on my keytone strips. And no, I haven't changed anything else.
raytamtay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Quote:
Hi Jebber! Thanks for posting the name of the book.

I struggle with salad dressing storage so I usually just make enough for one use which definitely is inconvenient for some recipes. I'd be really interested in seeing some of the recipes in the book.
I'm pleased to report that my dressing is NOT rock solid in the fridge! I did use my stick blender to incorporate the vinegar and water into the oil. It was pretty tasty!
Jebber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
I'm pleased to report that my dressing is NOT rock solid in the fridge! I did use my stick blender to incorporate the vinegar and water into the oil. It was pretty tasty!
Yay!! I have not been able to do that before. I have used the coconut oil in my smoothie before and it has clumped up. Talk about ick I am happy to hear you can have it in salad dressing.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #72
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Again, don't mean to be harping on the thyroid so much but I do have a bum one I put some oil on my neck in hopes the oil sinks into the thyroid helping it function better. That was suggested by a highly regarded LCF member way back when (anyone remember fawn ). It certainly doesn't hurt.
Me!!! I wish she still posted here... I learned some pretty important things from her and will be forever in her debt.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #73

Quote:
Me!!! I wish she still posted here... I learned some pretty important things from her and will be forever in her debt.
Me too! She was awesome
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #74
Chatty Cathy

She is fairly active on Facebook but it is not the same.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
WOW!!!! Thanks for that info Mine has been underactive as well I should give this a go!!

Im just gobbling up the info on this thread thanks everyone
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aet2009
Stats: 322.6 sz 24/300.4 sz 24/??? size 10
WOE: HFLC 75f/20p/5c
Start Date: February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I know this isn't what you're asking, but coconut oil raised my LDL significantly, and my endo told me to avoid it. I use mainly EVOO, as I've always done. During the 4 months that I used CO, I didn't notice any benefits.

This may be a YMMV situation, but I'm hypothyroid, so I have regular bloodwork done, and it was obvious that the CO had raised my LDL. All my doctors agreed that any substance that elevated the LDL that dramatically (50 points in 4 months) should be avoided.

As my stats show, I do fine without it.

I just mention this because people using it may not be getting the regular lab work that I do and may not be aware of the effect of the CO (if any).
Did your endo give you specifics about your LDL? There are two types - low density LDL and larger more bouyant LDL. The large, buoyant LDL doesn't oxidize easily and for these reasons it doesn’t stick to the blood vessel walls. On the other hand, small, dense LDL oxidizes easily, which makes it very sticky. It is so small that while floating in the blood stream it may easily get stuck. Therefore total LDL doesn't really tell the whole story, just like total cholesterol numbers don't.
aet2009 is offline   Reply With Quote