LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
difference in coconut oils?

I just finished my bottle of organic coconut oil (expensive) and can't get any more for a few days. I have a big container of the Louana brand from Walmart that I can use in the meantime. Is this an acceptable substitute for now, or maybe for good? Is there a big benefit to buying the unrefined organic except for the taste?
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I have read that the quality of Luanna brand is not as good. It is heat-processed, and it is made from copra, while the cold-processed and expeller-pressed brands are made from undried coconut of a higher quality, and it is fresher when it goes to the processing plant. In a nutshell, Luanna's coconut is of a lesser quality and is heat-treated. It has been demonstrated, but not conclusively imo, that the MCT in it is not as well-absorbed by the body.

So if you're eating it to get the MCT benefits, I'd say no.
If you want to fry in it, it's better than canola oil, that's for sure.

Last edited by emel; 06-10-2013 at 08:21 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I just finished my bottle of organic coconut oil (expensive) and can't get any more for a few days. I have a big container of the Louana brand from Walmart that I can use in the meantime. Is this an acceptable substitute for now, or maybe for good? Is there a big benefit to buying the unrefined organic except for the taste?
I think it is fine! But others here would differ. I know of someone on here a while back who used Louana exclusively as her oil and was able to lower her cholesterol levels dramatically. So I feel it is an OK oil to use and I have used it in a pinch when I was out of my regular expeller pressed coconut oil.

And I use the expeller pressed (or refined so no taste of coconut oil) as my oil for cooking/baking. My family hates anything that tastes of coconut and frankly I don't like my eggs tasting like coconuts either. I use the virgin coconut oil for my daily dose of benefits.