LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Something's missing

It's been 9 months since I started LC.
Losing the weight and getting fit preoccupied me.
I conducted research, join this message board, tried new foods
and ways to prepare them. At times it was a joy, others a struggle.
Now I'm at goal. I did it. There were a few days of feeling really good
at having achieved a difficult goal, but now what?
I sorta have this feeling that reminds of an old Peggy Lee classic
"Is that all there is"?
I miss the passion.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Find a new hobby. Something you love. Take a class or start something like running and try to reach the goal of a marathon. Maybe start a financial goal of saving up for a trip. Put your focus on something other than food now although you should still focus on maintaining your loss.

Congratulations by the way! I worry the same thing. I have a LOT of weight to lose and it takes all of my focus. It will be my life for the next 2 years or more and after that maintaining will be my focus.
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I imagine this is why maintenance is hard. You just have to keep eating the same, and yet there is no thrill of victory on the scale - you are just trying to keep it where it is.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
i hear ya. i'm no where near being at goal, let alone near where weighing what society says i should weigh, but, i'm no different just because i've lost 80 pounds. i'm the same insecure me. the only thing different is that i no longer have to worry about having the largest rear in the room. lol
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Well done on the weightloss!

I second, getting into some kind of fitness class, Zumba, spinning etc something high energy and fun, I spin and get such an endorphin high after a good class.
It helps me maintain, really well, but I'm after losing another 10lbs as well.

(That's if you don't do something like that already?)
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I imagine this is why maintenance is hard. You just have to keep eating the same, and yet there is no thrill of victory on the scale - you are just trying to keep it where it is.
Agreed.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Good post and great replies.
I would only like to add that it is probably a good idea to find something along the way to interest you, if you can.
Avid, look for healthy feel good experiences . Our bodies do not forget the endorphins of yesteryear and need to be indulged.

Last edited by Aleina; 06-09-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've been at goal for close to 3 years, and I find maintaining to be incredibly challenging with issues I didn't foresee.

There's a reason so many people regain lost weight, so when you get to goal, be assured that there are challenges ahead if you expect to maintain that weight.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
You accomplished a hard to reach goal.

Now you PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK and maintain. find new recipes that excite and expand your menu. because eventually YOU NEED new foods incorporated a bit. because no one can eat just what they did to lose the weight. Maintenance is about trial and error now.

I know that passion of hitting a goal number is gone---but don't be slack about maintenance at all. You must find ways to make it long term. The whole 9 yards for life.

and now that you are thinner find more active hobbies. anything ya wanted to do?

Me, I want to hit a zipline again oh yea. another 20 lbs and we are going ziplining in the mountains. Thinner to me means alot more active! Can't wait til I get into that zone of attacking life and having fun. all the while carrying less fat on the old body
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I am always sorry to hear people posting their assumptions or expectations that maintenance must be boring, a letdown, or disappointing. It really is not any of those things. It feels absolutely great to be at a stable, appropriate goal weight--one at which you look good, can wear the same clothes year after year without having to go up a size, are as thin as you prefer, are healthy, can move as actively as you wish to, know how to eat to stay that size, etc.

Leo is right in saying there are unexpected challenges and new lessons to be learned all the time. But that isn't depressing or demoralizing; it's just that we all should be continuing to learn and grow. We're never "done". I would much rather be working on those challenges and lessons while at my preferred weight. I find it extremely satisfying to be 118 one week, the next week, the next week and the next week. That's not boring at all. It feels way more exciting to me than still being heavier and seeing losses.

Avid, I hope you find your own personal sources of excitement in maintenance.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
First, Congrats! We all now what a great accomplishment that is.

But I've been kind of feeling the same way. I was at my first goal, changed it when I got there. Now I have sort of updated it again. But I feel like I always need something to work "towards". So I started a new challenge - to get my walking pace to below 15/min per mile. Well, I just reached that this week, so now I need to think of something else again. And I will, but I think the point is just to have "something" to work towards.

So find what interests you and make a goal. Then go to it!

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
astribling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
First, Congrats! We all now what a great accomplishment that is.

But I've been kind of feeling the same way. I was at my first goal, changed it when I got there. Now I have sort of updated it again. But I feel like I always need something to work "towards". So I started a new challenge - to get my walking pace to below 15/min per mile. Well, I just reached that this week, so now I need to think of something else again. And I will, but I think the point is just to have "something" to work towards.

So find what interests you and make a goal. Then go to it!
Great post!! Some of us just don't feel right if we don't have some kind of goal to work at. Your examples and ideas resound very strongly with me!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
It's like meeting a new love.... There is that period of infatuation-excitement-newness that evolves into something wonderful in its own way. For some it becomes deeper and maybe evolves into a new lifestyle. For some, it becomes a confortable habit and you just go through the motions of doing it out of loyalty. but with little passion. For some boring and monotonous unless you spice it up... For SOME you get a little food plan on the side ...

But I I get what you mean. Right now I am feeling kind of re interested i my woe... After goal I was kind of "eh".... Having fun Again. Next step is to get I. Great shape
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I know exactly what you mean, Avid. The chase is SO much more fun than the catch. I poured my heart and soul into reaching my goal weight and when I did, it was like an emotional letdown. For whatever reason, all the wind was out of my sails and I fell into a funk. There was nothing left to go after, no new magical number to chase. No smaller pants in the closet waiting for me to fit into them.

I wish I had some helpful advice but the only thing I can tell you is NOT to go crazy cheating in the name of "celebration." It will only lead to ruin. Other than that, stay on plan, stay positive, and be patient. Best of luck to you!! Succeed where I failed!!!!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I suggest that you develop the new hobby of collecting wisdom about maintaining, so you can teach us when we get where you are.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I think maintenance is more difficult than weight loss! But, I've always gone up and down on the scale.

There is always health research out there - you can still search that. You can always learn more. You can also be a valuable resource for those of us still trying to lose the (Stubborn) weight.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I've never been able to maintain...to me, maintanence requires way more work than loss. Good luck and you could always spends your days coming up with great, delicious low carb recipes for the rest of us ...
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #18

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Set another goal that interests you--besides maintaining. Learn to fly, hang glide, kayak, zumba, square dance, play chess, whatever.
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
avid - same thing happened to me. I lost 80 pounds in 2008 and yelled "goal". Then I was lost - nothing to do - no more excitement. What I didn't do back then was prepare myself for the maintenance phase; I didn't look that far ahead. I didn't know what maintenance was all about - I was full speed ahead on losing weight with blinders on. Well, I gained 44 of those pounds back over the past 4 years and am doing LC again. This time I have a clear view of what to do after the weight loss goal is attained again - maintenance and am looking forward to it!
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Set another goal that interests you--besides maintaining. Learn to fly, hang glide, kayak, zumba, square dance, play chess, whatever.
yes, definitely set another goal. do something you always want to try especially if your previous weight was preventing you from doing it.

i need at least 5 lifetimes to do all the things i want to try!
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
What's missing is Avid!!! You still around? If so, how's it going?
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiansMom View Post
Find a new hobby. Something you love. Take a class or start something like running and try to reach the goal of a marathon. Maybe start a financial goal of saving up for a trip. Put your focus on something other than food now although you should still focus on maintaining your loss.
I would add to, maybe, volunteer for a cause in your area, maybe at a youth center, or food bank, or cleanup efforts locally. You have all this drive which can be channeled to help others.

Congratulations, by the way!
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I suggest that you develop the new hobby of collecting wisdom about maintaining, so you can teach us when we get where you are.
Love this!!!

Avid I first want to say that I think you have done so well and you have been an inspiration to many! Congratulations!!

The other thing I will say (in case you haven't heard me say it before), is that it cannot be all about weight control because then it just becomes a diet and we all know what happens with that.

If you make it a new mission to discover why this way of eating is better for your health (other than the weight) I guarantee that you will fill that missing piece and keep filling it. The reasons seem endless to me and I have been at it for about 3+ yrs. now.

If you want any ideas of where to start, I would be happy to give you a few of my faves.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #24

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
What's missing is Avid!!! You still around? If so, how's it going?
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
10+ years maintaining and I would definitely call it a hobby! I still enjoy finding and creating new clean/low carb recipes and enjoy feeling amazing and not gaining.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #26

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I've been on these boards a long, long time. The most successful people I have encountered are the ones who got to goal and found a new love for fitness. My advice, find something active that you enjoy! Great job!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote