Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DivineMsM
New Again

So a couple of years ago I went VLC & lost 40lbs. I maintained for a year but the second year I slowly gained by not eating right. Consuming tons of carbs. I gained about half of the weight back. Which is where I am at now. The last few weeks I have been crossfitting. Which was new for me. Includes high intensity bodyweight weight exercises, lifting & some cardio. I havent done it the last week because I injured my leg. I am not losing weight. None. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I'm wondering if I should take out dairy as well. Maybe nuts. Ive had these things in moderation.
DivineMsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Also, I realize weightlifting can make you gain so Im not planning on doing that anymore until I lose what Im trying to. But I havent done it for a week and still didnt lose...
Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/163/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Are you following a specific plan? Atkins induction? Etc.. And can you give us a sample of a daily menu?
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I lost 50 lbs before I decided to start working out and getting in shape, building strength, endurance and such. Seeing the scale go down is important in the beginning, I understand. Just remember, that number is an arbitrary representation of the pull of gravity on your body, and not a true representation of your fat loss. You "will" lose fat as you work out, and continue to eat right. Any gain you see on the scale is likely water retention as your body adjusts to a new routine. You may or may not see slower losses on the scale, but you WILL get leaner, slimmer, stronger.

You will lose by eating right, regardless of the scale number, and you will shrink. Again, I do understand the desire or "need" to see the scale go down, but after a year for me, my priority changed, and now I'm in it for the health benefits first, the weight loss second. I will get thinner, but I will be in peak health when I get there, not just a "skinny fat" version of who I was a year ago.

Anyway, just my experience. Good luck!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Hi, yes, examples would be bacon & a scrambled egg w/cheese for breakfast. A salad with blacken chicken & ranch no croutons for lunch, pork rinds for snack or a spoon of peanut butter or cream cheese. A cheeseburger w/mustard, pickle, no bun. Water an occassional diet soda or decaf coffee with heavy cream & splenda. Occassional dark chocolate pieces. Sometimes a supplemental Atkins shake. Not an exact plan though really.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Im not fixated on the scale really but I understand where you are coming from. I still feel I should be losing & Im wondering what is different for me this time around.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Are you weighing and measuring everything, to know how much you are consuming? Sometimes too much dairy or nuts can stall weight loss.

Also, you are older now, that can play a part. I'm no expert though. For me, tracking everything was key to stop me from over eating, even if it was low carb and "on plan".

It is possible it is water retention though. I started working out and basically didn't lose for 3 weeks...just up and down the same 2 lbs, then whoosh down 2 lbs and broke through the wall. It takes patience, for sure. I am finding the weight loss is more erratic when I'm working out, and have seen others say the same.

Also, the closer to goal you are, the harder/slower it is. I'm sure others will post as well with more advice and suggestions and personal stories.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
I lost 50 lbs before I decided to start working out and getting in shape, building strength, endurance and such. Seeing the scale go down is important in the beginning, I understand. Just remember, that number is an arbitrary representation of the pull of gravity on your body, and not a true representation of your fat loss. You "will" lose fat as you work out, and continue to eat right. Any gain you see on the scale is likely water retention as your body adjusts to a new routine. You may or may not see slower losses on the scale, but you WILL get leaner, slimmer, stronger.

You will lose by eating right, regardless of the scale number, and you will shrink. Again, I do understand the desire or "need" to see the scale go down, but after a year for me, my priority changed, and now I'm in it for the health benefits first, the weight loss second. I will get thinner, but I will be in peak health when I get there, not just a "skinny fat" version of who I was a year ago.Anyway, just my experience. Good luck!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Your diet looks pretty good. You could drop the B-butter if you are tinkering.
The Atkins shakes are problematic for some folks. You might want to be sure you cheese is 4 oz or less per day. Cheese stalls some folks. I keep in my plan, but I watch amounts.
Patience is important, too!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 5' 6" medium build
WOE: Atkins
Just wanted to say
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Update: Cutting nuts & watching dairy did the trick. I did cut out weight training for now. Down 7lbs. During my period even! Tmi, sorry but to continue losing during it?? Crazy. Anyway, yay!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Haha!! I have found that TMI is pretty standard around here! We're always talking about our periods or our poops!!! Good job, by the way! So, just cutting nuts and dairy kicked you into gear? What kinds of dairy were you eating? Just curious... I'm addicted to yogurt.
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am a bit on the fence about yogurt. It's not induction friendly, but some diets say the fermentation makes it ok. For now, I am including it, but only a few tablespoons a couple of times a week. Plain, full fat.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Thanks No yogurt, just mainly cheeses. I ate alot of cheese. Cheese on everything, with everything. ..Im still having heavy cream in coffee but not everyday. I still eat a little cheese some days. Have you tried greek yogurt? I did make some induction friendly cheesecake muffins & pumpkin pie. Both had cream cheese in them. Yes, induction friendly! Very yummy too! I think I was eating way too much, I think it just needed to be limited. I am not eating nuts at all yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Oh, & no Atkins shakes either.