LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Do you approach others about LC

Today's society is experiencing an epidemic of obesity, overweight, and diabetes. Just look around yourself at WalMart, the mall, or fast food joints. I am 71 years old and on this woe because I lost three close friends to diabetes. Like many of you I had tried a number of other weight control programs that just don't work. I have many other friends and loved ones who are at risk just as I was.

How do you approach folks to encourage them? I carry copies of Taubes' WWGF book to give to folks that seriously want to improve their life and health. If they are at the point of being ready to do something about it I want to equip them with the tool that changed my life, but I don't want to embarass or insult them in the process.

How would you aproach an overwright struggling person you love?
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't.

If they express interest, I'll happily share, but I never approach anyone about it. I don't hide it, so they can certainly ask if they want.

I feed my dog a whole prey model raw diet, and I take the same attitude: if it comes up in the course of conversation, I'll share the fact; if you're interested and have questions, I'll answer them to any degree of specificity you like. But I won't try to push it on anyone, nor will I debate my choices with you or anyone.

I don't like other people giving me their unsolicited advice, so I extend them the same courtesy.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-08-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Never. Bad idea, IMO.

And I do not call the way I eat LC. Been there, done that, lessons learned.

I follow my own plan; if someone asks what I eat because they want to try it then I'll share it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
I do not proselytize. It is all too easy for me to recall what it was like to have people offering "helpful" dietary advice when I was heavier. I have no desire to make someone else feel the way I did when I was the target of unsolicited suggestions, hints and books.

When people do ask me how I lost so much weight, I tell them that I eschew starches and sugars of all types. Invariably, the response is, "oh, I couldn't do that." And, that ends the discussion.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
I think low carb has gotten a bad rap because people try to hide it. I WILL call what I'm doing low carb, or more specifically Atkins. I won't tell people what I'm doing unless asked but I will speak up at misinformation, like calling it NO CARB.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I don't discuss my WOE with anyone unless they approach me first.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
I think low carb has gotten a bad rap because people try to hide it. I WILL call what I'm doing low carb, or more specifically Atkins. I won't tell people what I'm doing unless asked but I will speak up at misinformation, like calling it NO CARB.
Right. Same here. If it comes up, I'm up front about the fact that I'm doing Atkins. I don't hide it, I don't soft-pedal it. I just say it. Then I'll explain that I'm not eating sugar or starchy foods.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
In my experience, people do not want to change. Even when people ask, I try to change the topic. Most of the time they just want to justify eating cake.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
I've been doing it off and on for 13 years, and I've learned to only give people info if they ask. And if people are just inquiring, but not looking for specifics, I just say I'm trying to cut out sugar and starch, it prevents long drawn out conversations about their opinions on eating low carb.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
I have many other friends and loved ones who are at risk just as I was.

How do you approach folks to encourage them?

How would you aproach an overwright struggling person you love?
I know you want to help people. I would like to also, but honestly I would not approach them. If asked I offer my insight into how I am losing weight and what they can do. Basic info. about good food vs. junk foods etc.

but, approach the subject of their weight when not asked? Nope. Not doing it.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I don't anymore. I tried to talk to my parents about LC but it didn't work. Well I guess it Did in a very small way, my Mom has started to limit how much bread they eat But my Dad is still a cracker junkie. I worry about my Dad a Lot because he's really overweight.
I have had a few people ask me what i've done to lose weight and I tell them. Some ask for recipes, links, etc and I don't hesitate to help when I can
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
No, I don't. If eating with people who could benefit with a new take on their diet I am a bit more specific about why I don't eat bread etc but I do not approach anybody. The info is out there for anyone who wants it.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
I never approach people either. It's like a former smoker suggesting to the smoker the benefits of quitting to smoke or an alcoholic the benefits not drinking. A couple of years ago, I had a co-worker who lost a lot of weight. She started preaching to me the benefits of low carbing...What? I lost 60 pounds 7 years ago low carbing I knew the benefits of low carb but my mind wasn't wrapped around it at that time and that's the key. Be there as an example and ready for them when they ask.

Last edited by rndiane; 06-09-2013 at 07:13 AM..
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree in that it is very much like preaching to a smoker about quitting. Of course the desire is there and it all sounds good but one needs to do it on their own terms. I have a dear person in my life who always says, "I could never live without a whole food group". I think...'addicted'. I understand...I was once there.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
It's sad, I have tried to help MANY people do Atkins, I have let them borrow my book, I have told them how much weight I lost myself (over 70lbs) I give them tips and recipe ideas, I tell them how you don't really have to count calories, and absolutely NONE of the people I talked to have really honestly attempted to try low carb. Half of them don't even try to lose weight (or maybe don't give it a try for longer than a week), and the other half opts for some weight watchers crap instead (and fail). Seems to me if people aren't ready to lose the weight, nothing you say will make them ready. And I don't just go over to someone who is heavy and tell them to try Atkins. If someone says "I want to lose weight" only then will I bring up anything about my WOE and my success. Most people seem like they want to listen and even try it but in the end they just aren't ready to make the change. One can't force another person to be motivated....also I get sick and tired of people giving me looks when I tell them fat is good for you. You would think my own success would show them that my diet is effective, but no. Seems most people would rather be fat than to give up bread and pasta. Soooo, to each his own I suppose.
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I agree. If someone came at me with that information when I was deep in my addiction I would be taken aback and hurt by it. I very much doubt that it could've ended well. I know that once, and not even very long ago, I was walking around like a carb zombie hating myself but *really* loving my carbs. I can't blame others for not "wanting" to change. I don't think I could have done it any other time than when I did and I was very much in need for many years before that.

ETA: I do talk freely about what I'm doing, though, and if someone was interested I'd love to help. I'd probably tell them to get WWGF and go to low at friends.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 06-09-2013 at 10:06 AM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I guess my story is different. When I first found Atkins, I told EVERYONE about it, I was to excited to be losing weight and not be hungry. My sister has been low/moderate carb ever since. My mom now follows Atkins to the letter, after starting it with me last fall. My niece cuts out refined carbs anytime she starts gaining a little weight.
And finally my DH. He converted to lc a few months after I came back to Atkins. It's really funny to watch him and his excitement. He tells everyone now. a good friend of ours has ordered Dr Bernstein's book to help her with her diabetes.

So I guess it depends. I'm convinced it is healthy and am always willing to let others know how to get started, especially loved ones. {here i'm picturing a lc family reunion lol}

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I wouldn't approach anybody. I also have not told anybody except my wife and kids that I am low carbing. And I won't tell anybody unless they ask. Also, I still need to see more benefits PERSONALLY, especially in the weight loss area, before I would even feel like I have any "credentials" to talk it up.

I am hoping that I succeed, and my wife joins me at some point, but I don't see that ever happening.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
So I guess it depends. I'm convinced it is healthy and am always willing to let others know how to get started, especially loved ones. {here i'm picturing a lc family reunion lol}
Being willing to help, or sharing information once someone has asked is very different from approaching people and giving unsolicited advice.

What most of us are saying is that we are not willing to proselytize, or approach people and preach about it without first being asked, not one of us has said that we wouldn't help someone who was genuinely interested. That's the difference.

I know eating this way is healthy, and I could spend hours telling people why. But I choose not to be rude.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-09-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #20

Gallery: Suncharm
WOE: Gluten Free and Low Carb
Unsolicited advice is rarely welcomed.
Suncharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
I guess my story is different. When I first found Atkins, I told EVERYONE about it, I was to excited to be losing weight and not be hungry. My sister has been low/moderate carb ever since. My mom now follows Atkins to the letter, after starting it with me last fall. My niece cuts out refined carbs anytime she starts gaining a little weight.
And finally my DH. He converted to lc a few months after I came back to Atkins. It's really funny to watch him and his excitement. He tells everyone now. a good friend of ours has ordered Dr Bernstein's book to help her with her diabetes.

I was begining to believe noone was willing to speak up. I don't go around looking for someone to harass about their weight, but I find it really hard not to offer to point the way for someone who is struggling with the problem.

I agree, nobody is really going to make the change until it becomes imperative to them that they do so. I didn't.

Garlic, I can't believe you feel you have no "credentials" in this area. You have managed to lose 65 pounds! That's about half the weight of an average adult woman already and you are still continuing on to your goal. That's amazing accomplishment! You don't have to wait until you are the size of a 17 year old cheerleader before acknowledging your accomplishment. Before you started on this woe I am sure you would have been impressed with someone who had lost 65# without being constantly hungry.

I guess it is an individual thing and needs to be preceeded with an indication the person approached is interested and receptive. Even then I know the majority of such is likely not going to be significantly fruitful, but I feel like I gotta try. Not with strangers on the street, but with ones I love. If they hate me for it, so be it. At least at their funeral I won't be kicking myself for not at least trying.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
I was begining to believe noone was willing to speak up. I don't go around looking for someone to harass about their weight, but I find it really hard not to offer to point the way for someone who is struggling with the problem.

I agree, nobody is really going to make the change until it becomes imperative to them that they do so. I didn't.

Garlic, I can't believe you feel you have no "credentials" in this area. You have managed to lose 65 pounds! That's about half the weight of an average adult woman already and you are still continuing on to your goal. That's amazing accomplishment! You don't have to wait until you are the size of a 17 year old cheerleader before acknowledging your accomplishment. Before you started on this woe I am sure you would have been impressed with someone who had lost 65# without being constantly hungry.

I guess it is an individual thing and needs to be preceeded with an indication the person approached is interested and receptive. Even then I know the majority of such is likely not going to be significantly fruitful, but I feel like I gotta try. Not with strangers on the street, but with ones I love. If they hate me for it, so be it. At least at their funeral I won't be kicking myself for not at least trying.
But, Chuck, I lost 61 of those pounds before starting LC, and it took 3 whole years.... I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks via low carb.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #23

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
I do not say anything but rather set an example by how I live myself. I do not hide what I'm doing - it comes up often and everyone around me knows I'm living a low carb lifestyle.

It's funny that by just sharing what I do when the right times come up in conversation - people start to get curious and will ask me questions .. and next thing I know, some of those people are trying to eat low carb as well.

Just be an example and hope that through seeing your success, they will want the same for their lives. If they show an interest, be supportive without being pushy or telling them what to do. In the end, they have to want it bad enough - nothing you say or do is going to make someone WANT to lose weight and/or get healthy if they don't already want it themselves. I know this from my own mindset and others trying to tell me what I needed to do. All it did was push me further away from any sort of change in my eating and I would gain more when people pushed.
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

Last edited by ChristiansMom; 06-09-2013 at 03:03 PM..
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
there was a time when I would 'inform' people I knew about the benefits of lc.
It was not well received so I stopped.
Now I sorta use a backdoor. The people who know me know I'm on lc. When something comes up like knee pain, or lethargy, I mention that I used to feel that way but not anymore. I have learned NOT to advocate for lc unless someone asks a follow up question. They usually don't.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

You know, saying you are on a LC diet is one thing.... but saying you are eating a LCHF diet sill be darn near impossible for me until I get blood work done at 6 months.... if it goes as expected, THEN I imagine I will open up more to others.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #26
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
No way; unsolicited advice is the worst. I'm an open book about what I do, though - ask & I'll tell! However, if the other person doesn't broach the topic, it won't come up.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Dont need too. Ive lost enough weight, they approch me
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Dont need too. Ive lost enough weight, they approch me
It took me about 50 pounds before people's faces stopped glazing over when I'd say anything about my woe, now that I've hit 50ish, just the last few weeks, they look at me with interest. lol It's actually fairly motivating just to have people give me a little respect about it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
But, Chuck, I lost 61 of those pounds before starting LC, and it took 3 whole years.... I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks via low carb.
That explains a lot. Doesn't change the fact that you have a lot to be proud of though! You are awesome. I am down 33 lbs in five months on this woe but that is only half what you have accomplished, and without LC too. My goodness, I would have been so hungry I would likely have killed somebody!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
Start Date: May 16 2013
Yes - I do. The morning I came to work with a bag of pork rinds instead of my usual "free food" (2 apples, a pear, 2 bananas, and an orange) my coworker looked puzzled and asked what I was doing. I explained about all the carbs in fruit and that there were none in pork rinds and that fat kept me fuller longer. I explained that I lost 80 lbs. on Atkins and 40 creeped back on over the past 5 years and I decided to go back to LC. He has struggled with weight for awhile and he and his wife were on WW (same as I was). He googled LC/Atkins and decided right then and there to try LC - getting his wife on board was a little more difficult. After a week on induction he lost nearly 11 lbs. and his wife was willing to try. They are both doing LC and loving it. He and his wife are amazed that they're not hungry all day - the recipe board here has really helped them.
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote