Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Low carb bad breath (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805757-low-carb-bad-breath.html)

Garlic 06-08-2013 06:16 PM

Low carb bad breath

I had known that people can have bad breath on LC, but I never did before. Then again, I have never stayed below 30 carbs a day before. Before,LC was under 100 a day for me.

I brush my teeth 3x a day, and also use Listerine usually 2x a day.

Any suggestions to help eliminate it? Also, in the morning, my mouth feels like it is filled with paste. This is not a dental issue, as I just had my cleaning and checkup this week.

scintillady 06-08-2013 06:26 PM

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) bad breath is a side effect of ketosis, which equals weight loss. I just make sure to not talk too closely at work, brush and use mouthwash as often as possible, and brush, floss, and use mouthwash before any bedtime romantic encounters.

LCBubs 06-08-2013 06:29 PM

Drinking lots of water seems to help a bit, too! But, yeah, it can make you a little self-conscious.

Mistizoom 06-08-2013 06:59 PM

For now I think you may have to just deal with it, but I think for many people who are in ketosis long term side effects like bad breath may lessen or go away as your body becomes keto-adapted and more efficient at using fat for fuel.

Julie1972 06-08-2013 07:11 PM

Drinking lots of water helps and it does seem to get better over time (at least for me). Hang in there!

Garlic 06-08-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scintillady (Post 16462022)
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) bad breath is a side effect of ketosis, which equals weight loss. I just make sure to not talk too closely at work, brush and use mouthwash as often as possible, and brush, floss, and use mouthwash before any bedtime romantic encounters.

Well, I would do that even w/o bad breath. :laugh:

Chuck41 06-08-2013 07:50 PM

Welcome to the world of keto breath. That just announces to us that we have successfully turned ourself into a fat burning machine. After all, halitosis is better than no breath at all.

Ntombi 06-08-2013 09:05 PM

Yes, water, water, water.

It has definitely gotten better as I've become keto-adaptated. Yet another reason not to eat off plan! ;)

Kittee 06-09-2013 07:49 AM

I love having stinky nasty breath on low carb (lol) It is the taste of fat loss to me! xD When I wake up in morning and my mouth tastes like absolute crap, I'm like, "Yes!"

Aleina 06-09-2013 09:32 AM

Fresh parsley on your food helps somewhat, also getting your carbs from green veggies due to the chlorophyll.

baileygirl3 06-09-2013 09:44 AM

Sometimes I like to chew sugarfree gum.

SweetMe678 06-09-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittee (Post 16462454)
I love having stinky nasty breath on low carb (lol) It is the taste of fat loss to me! xD When I wake up in morning and my mouth tastes like absolute crap, I'm like, "Yes!"

awesome!

Garlic ~ It gets better with time and sometimes drinking water with a dash of lemon in it helps me.

MtherGoos 06-09-2013 09:52 AM

I agree, for me, it's water, water, and more water that helps! I keep a big cup beside me all day, and as long as I'm sipping from it all day, it's not a problem. If I get too busy to drink it, I can definitely tell the bad breath gets worse.

Garlic 06-09-2013 10:05 AM

I can't drink more than the 100 - 125 ounces a day I already drink. :)

I'll try the lemon.