Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
I consumed a whole lot of wheat last night... and I feel great!

But no, it wasn't the grain that I consumed, but just about the entire book "Wheat Belly'. I skipped over a lot of the scientific stuff about how wheat has been engineered for larger harvests and better baking, but read the rest of the book.

I must say, the author, an M.D., has made a compelling case against eating wheat. And while I had already given up wheat 2 weeks ago when I started LCHF, the book really made me feel good about eating this way, even moreso than reading Dr. Bernstein's "The Diabetes Solution".

I will say that his plan for eating is not nearly as stringent as Dr. Bernstein's, IMO, and makes staying on LCHF forever sound much more doable for me. Scientific facts on wheat aside, the book is an easy read that makes you feel better, especially if you have diabetes, or Celiac's, or for that matter, MANY other medical issues.

I bought this book AFTER I had already stopped eating wheat, and was thinking I was dumb for spending money on a book telling me not to eat wheat. I must say, that after reading it, I don't feel dumb, rather, I feel empowered and more accepting of eating more fat. I am so glad I bought the book.

I couldn't get it from my local library, but if yours has a copy, I suggest you go get it and read it. I think you will enjoy it.

Last edited by Garlic; 06-08-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I remember reading about that book here, then going to the library and just happened to see it in the new arrival section the next day. I snatched it up took it home and read the whole thing in one day. I had already been doing LC for well over a year at least, but it gave me more motivation to NOT eat all that stuff!

PS. I have not seen that book at the library since then. Pretty popular I guess.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/171/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
I'll get my local library to get it on inter-library loan if they don't have it. I've been meaning to read it. One of the best things about HFLC is that it pretty much insures that you won't eat much, if any, wheat.
scintillady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Actually, a lot of condiments have wheat in them, so if one is trying to go completely wheat free, it's hard even for low carbers. Things like soy sauce and other seemingly benign options have wheat.

Eating a good low carb diet does not automatically mean one is wheat free. I'm the former, but not the latter.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I was sugar-free & grain-free before I ever read Wheat Belly & I still learned a lot of good info. Good book to read.

As Ntombi says, LC does not mean wheat free and, to truly be wheat-free (or grain-free), one needs to read all the labels on everything and generally be very nit-picky. I happen to be a very good nit-picker. Avoiding most processed foods helps.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I was able to borrow the book from my library as an e-audible book. Made for great listening but I would love to own a copy for referencing. A really good case against wheat!

Btw, loved the title of your thread....I had to read more!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I loved the book and bought it when it first came out. I have been wheat free for about 10 months and boy, that's when the weight really started coming off fast! I read every label of every food I purchase but have found great alternatives for most things. I don't use too many condiments and typically make my own for what I need. I even take my own bottle of wheat free tamari when I go out for sashimi!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Actually, a lot of condiments have wheat in them, so if one is trying to go completely wheat free, it's hard even for low carbers. Things like soy sauce and other seemingly benign options have wheat.

Eating a good low carb diet does not automatically mean one is wheat free. I'm the former, but not the latter.
Well I am wheat free.... The only condiments I really use now are mustard and hot sauce that I make. If somehow I get wheat in me, it will be my own fault... But since I also have essentially given up processed foods, I can't see it happening.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I haven't read the book but I did watch a 1 hour long lecture by the author. The one thing that makes no sense to me is that are millions of people who eat wheat everyday, are not overweight, live long healthy lives, and have little to no health issues. Perhaps he addresses this on the book.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I haven't read the book but I did watch a 1 hour long lecture by the author. The one thing that makes no sense to me is that are millions of people who eat wheat everyday, are not overweight, live long healthy lives, and have little to no health issues. Perhaps he addresses this on the book.
I have wondered about this myself. I went gluten/wheat free before there was a book. Even though the tests said I was not intolerant and I was unwilling to eat the amount of bread they wanted me to eat for the celiac's biopsy. My doc and I agreed that if my symptoms were better without wheat to avoid it.

I know ranchers who grow wheat, and it is not the same wheat they grew 20 years ago. So I always figured that had something to do with it. And I *think* that the book talks about that. (I've never read it). I have noticed that I am meeting more and more people who are wheat/gluten sensitive the last few years.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post

Well, I don't recall if he addressed that, but I think the answer is super simple....

It isn't any different than those of us who can't deal with carbs while many can. Everybody is different; simple as that.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Replace soy sauce with coconut aminos. I am pretty sure there is no wheat in that. I wouldn't stake any money on it though.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm just using soy sauce as one common example. There are many many foods that one wouldn't think had wheat, but does.

And I'm not wheat-free, so I don't worry about it. I just don't like for people to think that eating low carb automatically means one is wheat free. That is not the case.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm just using soy sauce as one common example. There are many many foods that one wouldn't think had wheat, but does.

And I'm not wheat-free, so I don't worry about it. I just don't like for people to think that eating low carb automatically means one is wheat free. That is not the case.
I don't think I implied that.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

You didn't; I wasn't replying directly to you. It was implied in the thread, and I wanted to make sure it didn't stand uncorrected.