Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: derago1
Is it possible??

Is it possible to lower your carb intake to 20 to 80 carbs a day and lose weight? Has anyone tried losing weight like this without going thru the induction period of Atkins? I would really appreciate your input. I have tried every diet and I love the low carb one best because I am not hungry but I am just staying the same and not losing weight. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.
derago1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Twenty to eighty is a large range. Some people can lose with twenty, but not above forty or fifty. Other people can lose fine with eighty.

Generally, people need to eat under fifty or so to be in ketosis. Ketosis is not necessary, obviously, but if that's your goal, you'll need to be more restrictive than eighty.

It'll be hard to give you constructive criticism if you're just doing general "low carb," but not following a specific plan, because it really depends on what your goals are.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
IMO Induction Is important. And I agree with ntombi, 20-80 carbs is a big range. I've found for Me I have to stay around 30 or less to lose
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I have to be as low as I can possibly go, along with intermittent fasting in order to lose...that's what makes it so hard for me to maintain..ymmv
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Getting and staying in ketosis worked for me. The lower my carbs, the higher my fat intake which equals the most weight loss without hunger. And for me, thats what its all about. I like to be able to eat good food, not count calories and not be hungry. That is why I have followed a low carb diet all these years and that is what keeps the weight off today.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by llisarray View Post
I have to be as low as I can possibly go, along with intermittent fasting in order to lose...that's what makes it so hard for me to maintain..ymmv
Same here, except I am not yet to maintenance.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I stay at around 20g of carbs total, but I could go slightly higher and still lose. This is simpler, and I don't feel deprived.

I don't actively limit, or even count, anything beyond carbs, though I do try to be conscious not to overeat protein.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
May I ask, why don't you want to start with Induction?

It really isn't hard, and the helpful people here can help you make up a food plan for it if you tell us what you like to eat. And Induction has a lot of benefits that make weight loss easier--appetite supression through ketosis, good practice for choosing the best low carb foods, rapid loss which brings motivation, and it is an easy way to clear the gunky carbs from your system.

Oh, and to more directly answer your question, I tried following the plan in the book "Atkins for Life", which was basically what you're saying (cut carbs to 40-60 for a loss of 15 lbs, slowly. For me, the sugar cravings never went away, so it was a struggle. I didn't lose much weight. But you could look at the book.

Last edited by emel; 06-08-2013 at 02:52 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by derago1 View Post
Is it possible to lower your carb intake to 20 to 80 carbs a day and lose weight? Has anyone tried losing weight like this without going thru the induction period of Atkins? I would really appreciate your input. I have tried every diet and I love the low carb one best because I am not hungry but I am just staying the same and not losing weight. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.
Sure it is possible. I am doing moderate carb now and losing very well and eating some great foods that on my very low carb menu I couldn't have. I like that part.

I did induction on atkins VERY long ago. when I got off atkins and went to my own moderate carb plan I didn't do induction of any kind again and I started losing from day 1.

any lower/moderate carb plan can work for alot of people. as with anything, we are all different on how food reacts, so you have to experiment a bit with yourself. I did and am reaping the benefits of my own personal mod. carb plan.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
I don't lose unless I'm under 15 carbs... But I can eat off induction, example I eat a few nuts every day....

Last edited by Nancypie11; 06-08-2013 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Pushed button too early... :)
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
really, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't matter if it works for every other person on earth, you know? don't worry about them, figure out your own body!

yes, that's too broad a range. 20 works for most, 80 is NOT low enough to lose weight except as part of a calorie controlled diet for most.

if you aren't losing, you are eating too much, chances are.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I started my LC woe in February w/out doing induction. Did induction last time on this woe, and didn't want to do it again. However, I did start at 50 grams a day or less, because I wanted to get into ketosis. My weight loss was slower than many here who did do induction, but it has been steady at about a pound a week. This is fine w/me as it allowed me to not feel so restricted going in. And now, I've backed myself down to an average of 30 carbs a day, by choice and experimentation w/the foods that satisfy me, and this is now a comfortable good spot for me.

If you are leary about induction, I suggest you start at under 50 a day. 80 seems too many to see any reward in a reasonable amt of time. You might find, like me, that backing into this works too.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote