Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Is it possible?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805698-possible.html)

derago1 06-07-2013 03:57 PM

Is it possible??

Is it possible to lower your carb intake to 20 to 80 carbs a day and lose weight? Has anyone tried losing weight like this without going thru the induction period of Atkins? I would really appreciate your input. I have tried every diet and I love the low carb one best because I am not hungry but I am just staying the same and not losing weight. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

Ntombi 06-07-2013 04:23 PM

Twenty to eighty is a large range. Some people can lose with twenty, but not above forty or fifty. Other people can lose fine with eighty.

Generally, people need to eat under fifty or so to be in ketosis. Ketosis is not necessary, obviously, but if that's your goal, you'll need to be more restrictive than eighty.

It'll be hard to give you constructive criticism if you're just doing general "low carb," but not following a specific plan, because it really depends on what your goals are.

princessmommy 06-07-2013 05:45 PM

IMO Induction Is important. And I agree with ntombi, 20-80 carbs is a big range. I've found for Me I have to stay around 30 or less to lose

llisarray 06-07-2013 05:59 PM

I have to be as low as I can possibly go, along with intermittent fasting in order to lose...that's what makes it so hard for me to maintain..ymmv

teri f 06-07-2013 07:12 PM

Getting and staying in ketosis worked for me. The lower my carbs, the higher my fat intake which equals the most weight loss without hunger. And for me, thats what its all about. I like to be able to eat good food, not count calories and not be hungry. That is why I have followed a low carb diet all these years and that is what keeps the weight off today.

Chuck41 06-07-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llisarray (Post 16460726)
I have to be as low as I can possibly go, along with intermittent fasting in order to lose...that's what makes it so hard for me to maintain..ymmv

Same here, except I am not yet to maintenance.

Ntombi 06-07-2013 10:34 PM

I stay at around 20g of carbs total, but I could go slightly higher and still lose. This is simpler, and I don't feel deprived.

I don't actively limit, or even count, anything beyond carbs, though I do try to be conscious not to overeat protein.

emel 06-08-2013 02:48 AM

May I ask, why don't you want to start with Induction?

It really isn't hard, and the helpful people here can help you make up a food plan for it if you tell us what you like to eat. And Induction has a lot of benefits that make weight loss easier--appetite supression through ketosis, good practice for choosing the best low carb foods, rapid loss which brings motivation, and it is an easy way to clear the gunky carbs from your system.

Oh, and to more directly answer your question, I tried following the plan in the book "Atkins for Life", which was basically what you're saying (cut carbs to 40-60 for a loss of 15 lbs, slowly. For me, the sugar cravings never went away, so it was a struggle. I didn't lose much weight. But you could look at the book.

Trigger828 06-08-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derago1 (Post 16460570)
Is it possible to lower your carb intake to 20 to 80 carbs a day and lose weight? Has anyone tried losing weight like this without going thru the induction period of Atkins? I would really appreciate your input. I have tried every diet and I love the low carb one best because I am not hungry but I am just staying the same and not losing weight. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

Sure it is possible. I am doing moderate carb now and losing very well :) and eating some great foods that on my very low carb menu I couldn't have. I like that part.

I did induction on atkins VERY long ago. when I got off atkins and went to my own moderate carb plan I didn't do induction of any kind again and I started losing from day 1.

any lower/moderate carb plan can work for alot of people. as with anything, we are all different on how food reacts, so you have to experiment a bit with yourself. I did and am reaping the benefits of my own personal mod. carb plan.

Nancypie11 06-08-2013 06:44 AM

I don't lose unless I'm under 15 carbs... But I can eat off induction, example I eat a few nuts every day....

ravenrose 06-08-2013 08:11 AM

really, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't matter if it works for every other person on earth, you know? don't worry about them, figure out your own body!

yes, that's too broad a range. 20 works for most, 80 is NOT low enough to lose weight except as part of a calorie controlled diet for most.

if you aren't losing, you are eating too much, chances are.

Blue Skies 06-08-2013 09:05 AM

I started my LC woe in February w/out doing induction. Did induction last time on this woe, and didn't want to do it again. However, I did start at 50 grams a day or less, because I wanted to get into ketosis. My weight loss was slower than many here who did do induction, but it has been steady at about a pound a week. This is fine w/me as it allowed me to not feel so restricted going in. And now, I've backed myself down to an average of 30 carbs a day, by choice and experimentation w/the foods that satisfy me, and this is now a comfortable good spot for me.

If you are leary about induction, I suggest you start at under 50 a day. 80 seems too many to see any reward in a reasonable amt of time. You might find, like me, that backing into this works too.