Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   A steak at Chili's has 60 carbs?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805674-steak-chilis-has-60-carbs.html)

Vilya 06-07-2013 08:36 AM

A steak at Chili's has 60 carbs??

OK, I'm looking at the nutrition info for Chili's, and the sirloin steak is listed as having 60 carbs! How is that possible? What are they putting on it?

I know that restaurants will frequently drench their steaks with butter (yum!), but is Chili's glazing it with some type of sugar? I'm glad I checked first!! Geez...

Vilya 06-07-2013 08:38 AM

OK, wait, the 60-carb steak is listed in the "regular" section of the menu. The same exact steak listed in the "light choices" section says it has 12 carbs. This is so confusing...

Oh, wait! Mystery solved, I think. Appears they are listing the steak in each section with whatever sides it normally comes with. So that would make sense, because I bet it comes with a potato, unless you get it as a "light" choice, and then it probably comes with veggies. I found the steak listed by itself, and it says only 2 carbs.

monees lc 06-07-2013 08:42 AM

Mystery solved:). Good investigative work. We do have to stay on top of those restaurant menus.

TheSouthernPrincess 06-07-2013 08:56 AM

That is really weird. I'm wondering if it is a misprint or something :confused:

I think it is including the sides that come with it, it says listed as served unless otherwise noted and the steak is served with loaded mashed potatoes and broccoli

Vilya 06-07-2013 09:01 AM

I found the same 10-oz. sirloin steak listed in 3 different sections of the menu, and it was listed at 60 carbs, 12 carbs, and 2 carbs, depending on where it was listed. So the only reason I can think of for that is that the carb count includes the sides it comes with depending on how you order it (as "regular" or "light" or by itself with no sides).

It's confusing, though! They should just list each item as itself, and not with the sides included...

RDBhan 06-07-2013 12:14 PM

Or at least tell you the sides are included in the total count. Geez. Way to stick with it - you could've been cheated out of a yummy steak!

evas 06-07-2013 12:18 PM

That's annoying that they list it including the sides, seems silly to combine it at all when there are so many sides to choose from and people are always subbing different items.

And a word to the wise regarding restaurant steak - some places pan fry (or griddle fry) their steaks instead of grilling and they may coat the steak with seasoned cornstarch to give it that nice, crunchy, sear on the outside. I have waitressed at 2 different places in the past that did this.

Jaded62 06-07-2013 07:18 PM

I got a steak at Chili`s. It was BAD. It had so much SALT on it and I am guessing in it from an overnight bath in salt. I was NOT able to eat it. MY GOODNESS it was salty. I have NEVER had anything from a restaurant that was SO salty. I did complain, and was told it was SECRET steak rub. OKAY. MY gosh, PLEASE leave out the salt. !!!!
I did get another steak. It was worse than the first one. The waitress told me it was so much salt in the rub. YUCK !!!

Vilya 06-07-2013 07:45 PM

I ended up getting fajitas (minus the tortillas, of course). I saw on the menu that the steak had some sort of rub on it, so I decided to pass. Sounds like that was a good decision!