Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Dinner tonight.... 1st time in 25 years, I will be

enjoying some nice chicken skin!

As long as this LCHF way of life works for me, I think I am going to be very happy.... when I "did" low carb before, I really was trying to be low carb AND low fat.... talk about an unhappy camper. But now I have actually read more, and understand more, so I have confidence.

Chicken goes in the oven in an hour.... can't wait!

Dinner tonight:

Chicken with skin
cauliflower " mashed potatoes".... heavy cream, garlic, butter
broccoli - with some nice butter!

Dessert tonight:

1 or 2 Lemon Fat Bombs
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
25yrs without chicken skin!

Enjoy!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Who can complain about that delicious meal? Salut!
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
If I never see another boneless, skinless, boring as all get out chicken breast again it will be way too soon.

One of the joys of Low Carb eating for me has been discovering how good chicken is when you don't strip it of what makes it juicy and flavorful. Roast skin on chicken vs. a stripped down chicken breast reminds me of the difference between a tomato in February from the grocery store, and one in a August from your garden. It's almost like they're two entirely different things.

If you want to try an easy peasy, really delishy roast chicken recipe check out the Barefoot Contessa's roast chicken stuffed w/lemons and garlic---you make the gravy by simply adding wine to the drippings, no flour needed, and so amazing! We make it w/ new potatoes, which I don't have of course, and big chunks of onions that get caramelized---which I do have. My mouth is watering writing this.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Port_louis
WOE: Protein power
Start Date: 6 September 2012
I am surprised you could make it so long without chicken skin!

Enjoy
Port_louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_louis View Post
I am surprised you could make it so long without chicken skin!

Enjoy
Well, I have had small nibbles, but not enough to really enjoy it.
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Port_louis
WOE: Protein power
Start Date: 6 September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
Well, I have had small nibbles, but not enough to really enjoy it.
Well no more guilt for you You should try chicken skin 'chips'.
Port_louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
The meat wholesaler near me sells chicken skin by the case.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
The meat wholesaler near me sells chicken skin by the case.
Oh now THAT made my mouth water!

I could NEVER do without my fatty goodness - chicken and turkey skin, roasted to golden brown perfection, the perfectly-seared fat on a ribeye steak, the nice edge fat on a pork chop - I'd rather do without ice cream FOREVER in favor of those yummy morsels!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Y'all know we are weird, right?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Well, we're certainly all weird by today's nutritional standards. But I'm realizing how "weird" it is to eat those entirely tasteless, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, when you can eat it as it is intended to be---and profit, not suffer, from all that delicious fat. If this is weird, sign me up for weird.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
As long as this LCHF way of life works for me, I think I am going to be very happy....
when I "did" low carb before, I really was trying to be low carb AND low fat.... talk about an unhappy camper.
But now I have actually read more, and understand more, so I have confidence.
Yeah; low carb & low fat is no good & no fun.

Good for you!
ENJOY!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #14

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I disagree. Low carb and lower fat--maybe I should say moderate fat-- is just fine, and some people prefer it, actually.

I love chicken breasts, and mine are never flavorless or dry. I also love a whole roasted chicken with crispy skin--occasionally, not all the time. Not because I am misinformed about fat or afraid of it, but because I just am not crazy about eating high fat meats on a frequent basis.

I don't believe Dr. Atkins intended for us to eat as much fat as possible. There's a difference between recoiling in horror from fat, and allowing it, enjoying it, but not adding more and more of it. I think people confuse the Fat Fast with some kind of guideline for "more fat is always better".

I feel a little disappointed when people seem to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, we can eat fat, and it's good. But enjoying boneless breast meat doesn't mean you hate fattier dark meat with skin...enjoying pork ribs doesn't mean you have to hate fish. Many of us enjoy both higher fat foods and lower fat foods, and it can all be part of a low carb diet.

This is a mileage-may-vary thing. Sometimes I feel like those who don't eat a lot of bacon, cream cheese, fatty steaks, HWC, etc. are viewed as "not really doing low carb", and that's not the case. I wouldn't want that message to cause newbies to think they are doing it wrong.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Oh now THAT made my mouth water!

I could NEVER do without my fatty goodness - chicken and turkey skin, roasted to golden brown perfection, the perfectly-seared fat on a ribeye steak, the nice edge fat on a pork chop - I'd rather do without ice cream FOREVER in favor of those yummy morsels!
I concur
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Chicken skin lovers Unite! Lol!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I don't believe Dr. Atkins intended for us to eat as much fat as possible.
No; he didn't. And I don't think most people think that he did!

I think this thread is more about people enjoying their calories while eating LC.

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Well, we're certainly all weird by today's nutritional standards. But I'm realizing how "weird" it is to eat those entirely tasteless, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, when you can eat it as it is intended to be---and profit, not suffer, from all that delicious fat. If this is weird, sign me up for weird.
I love chicken breasts with the skin off. Seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley- soooo good. When I hear people saying they are tasteless and dry I always think, how are you cooking them? Because mine are never dry or boring and taste-wise I prefer a chicken breast over something fattier like steak a lot of the time.

Don't get all the chicken breast hate.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #19

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
And I certainly do enjoy my food.

I think there's a psychological thing that a lot of people experience who have been on numerous other diets before; they are very relieved to be able to eat full-fat foods again. If you have felt tsk-tsked for wanting to eat avocados, butter, dark-meat chicken with the skin, and whole eggs, then of course it is liberating to start a low-carb diet and have all these things be not only permitted, but part of the diet.

I just don't personally like it when I feel like it's assumed that everybody revels in eating high-fat on low carb, because not everyone wants or needs to. I can't tell you the last time I bought cream cheese or mayonnaise, it's been so long--but I can tell you I am having roast chicken tonight--with the skin. And I will enjoy it.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It may not be this thread, but there is a general theme on this board (and other low-carb boards) that high fat is necessary for low carb eating. That's not true, and it may deter people from trying a low-carb plan.

Stillman's and Dukan are both low-carb plans that are very low fat, and people lose weight healthily on both.

In 2007, when I began seriously losing weight via low-carb eating, I was also having some unrelated gastrointestinal problems. After a lot of inconclusive tests, my doctor suggested that since eating low fat relieved my symptoms, that would be a solution--and might effect a cure. He'd seen that happen in the past with other patients.

So for several years I ate low carb and very low fat. I didn't eat any faux 'products' but whole foods, simply prepared. I lost weight, and since I was being medically checked at the time because of my intestinal problems, I knew that my health wasn't being negatively impacted. After a few years, I was able to include more fat in my diet, and eventually I was 'cured' and have no restrictions at all.

I still prefer to eat more moderate fat, and when you're eating low carb, Dr. Atkins estimated that the fat in the food itself and the butter or oil used in its preparation is probably about 65% of most people's diet.

I would hate for anyone who, like me, was medically advised to eat low fat to assume that meant that it precludes eating low carb. As my stats show, low carb works even when it's low fat.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It may not be this thread, but there is a general theme on this board (and other low-carb boards) that high fat is necessary for low carb eating. That's not true, and it may deter people from trying a low-carb plan.

Stillman's and Dukan are both low-carb plans that are very low fat, and people lose weight healthily on both.

In 2007, when I began seriously losing weight via low-carb eating, I was also having some unrelated gastrointestinal problems. After a lot of inconclusive tests, my doctor suggested that since eating low fat relieved my symptoms, that would be a solution--and might effect a cure. He'd seen that happen in the past with other patients.

So for several years I ate low carb and very low fat. I didn't eat any faux 'products' but whole foods, simply prepared. I lost weight, and since I was being medically checked at the time because of my intestinal problems, I knew that my health wasn't being negatively impacted. After a few years, I was able to include more fat in my diet, and eventually I was 'cured' and have no restrictions at all.

I still prefer to eat more moderate fat, and when you're eating low carb, Dr. Atkins estimated that the fat in the food itself and the butter or oil used in its preparation is probably about 65% of most people's diet.

I would hate for anyone who, like me, was medically advised to eat low fat to assume that meant that it precludes eating low carb. As my stats show, low carb works even when it's low fat.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

As to the fat, how much, when and how, it's obviously a personal choice. However, the reason many folks here talk about adding more fat is perhaps because they've done some reading---The "Art and Science of Low Carb Living" particularly, that makes quite a point of eating enough fat on a low Carb woe, especially when you approach or are in maintenance.

When you still have a lot of weight to lose, your body will use that for energy on a Keto adapted diet. But when you get to your goal weight, there isn't residual fat to burn, so it becomes necessary to be aware of adding enough in to avoid low energy. This may not be true for everyone, but as Phinney and Voleck have been treating patients on LC diets for years, and are themselves a part of the LC lifestyle, I think it's important information. Also, I believe Phinney wrote the latest Atkins book.

Also, to many, fat is sating and helpful on this woe. I only like fats certain ways and I wouldn't eat them in any form that wasn't pleasing to me. But the bottom line is since too much protein can be a problem you've got a choice between carbs and fat to fill in the rest. Most on a LC woe will need to eat more fat than they would if they were on a different regime. In fact P & V state pretty strongly that you will not be able to sustain a LC woe over the long haul if you do not learn to add enough fat in...not willy nilly, but w/respect to the better fats.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I love chicken breasts with the skin off. Seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley- soooo good. When I hear people saying they are tasteless and dry I always think, how are you cooking them? Because mine are never dry or boring and taste-wise I prefer a chicken breast over something fattier like steak a lot of the time.

Don't get all the chicken breast hate.
Don't hate chicken breasts at all. Don't enjoy them stripped of their skin and bone. Love them roasted w/both. Everyone's taste buds dance to a different tune.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
However, the reason many folks here talk about adding more fat is perhaps because they've done some reading---The "Art and Science of Low Carb Living" particularly, that makes quite a point of eating enough fat on a low Carb woe, especially when you approach or are in maintenance.
Just an observation: if you wait a week, the weather will change
Meaning, next month or 3 months from now a new author or study will come out and de-bunk this data - as it always does.
It all cycles.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Just an observation: if you wait a week, the weather will change
Meaning, next month or 3 months from now a new author or study will come out and de-bunk this data - as it always does.
It all cycles.
Basic endocrinology is not going to change or be "debunked." I am carb intolerant and that's a fact that's not going to change and something I have to accept. Carbohydrates spike your insulin, and if your insulin is resistant, it doesn't go well. Certain things are facts.

The book I was referring to is not some latest fad diet book. Nor are many other good books and research on the subject. It's taken decades for the health industry to even begin to question the efficacy of putting carb intolerant people on low fat high carb diets and it will probably take a lot longer before folks stop viewing fat as the enemy. Any look at grocery stores for the last decades will tell you this is true, w/hundreds of products labeled Low Fat! screaming from every shelf. (And hiding the fact they're all amped up w/more sugar.) So I think your idea that this changes w/in months is not correct. America has been Low fat Central for a very long time yet we continue to be a fatter country w/every new report.

I don't mean this as unfriendly at all, just a statement of my belief and commitment to what is working for me, and my hopes that it will keep me off medications w/nasty side effects that only address the symptoms w/out taking on the underlying causes---as well as hoping that others who have suffered w/carb intolerance will be lucky enough to read and learn what I have.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
so....Garlic, how was your chicken skin?
Amy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Blue I hear ya lol.
I'm just saying, look at the diet industry as a whole over decades - it changes rapidly and new "facts" come out every time a new plan hits mainstream.
It isn't necessarily facts -as in real facts -but facts as in "who can skew the study results in their favor the most".
That's why the diet industry is an ever-changing, billions of dollars a year enterprise.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Blue I hear ya lol.
I'm just saying, look at the diet industry as a whole over decades - it changes rapidly and new "facts" come out every time a new plan hits mainstream.
It isn't necessarily facts -as in real facts -but facts as in "who can skew the study results in their favor the most".
That's why the diet industry is an ever-changing, billions of dollars a year enterprise.
Have you read "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living?"

I guess where you and I are disagreeing is that you see the book I mentioned as part of the "diet industry." I do not. I don't see Gary Taubes' books as part of the diet industry either. Nor do I see their cause as selling the public a new fad diet. I don't think that was Dr. Atkin's purpose either, and when you read about him you find how far ahead of his time he was in so many ways.

There's a very touching story about him from his long time nurse, at the end of "The Art and Science..." She talks about how much he did not want to be known as a "Diet Doctor" but rather as a Dr. who looked outside the box for natural remedies to diseases, particularly of the over weight and carb intolerant. His dream has still not been achieved. But slowly, he's beginning to get the respect he deserves.

And no, I really don't think these things "change all the time." I think the vast majority of "Diet books" and God yes, diet articles in women's magazines, have for decades been based on a low fat model, as have most Dr. and nutritionist recommendations. And that's just fine for those who it works for, and those who are not carb intolerant.

Hey, we're all here trying to do something good for ourselves. You, me and everyone else on this board. No one has a corner on the truth. I'm OK if we agree to disagree on this one.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Ntombi, I wish I could a find a butcher in my area that sold chicken skin by the case... or by itself at all! YUM!!! But since I can't, my favorite way to make my chicken right now is just to coat some chicken thighs, skin on of course, with olive oil and seasoning salt and bake them in the oven. SO SO good!!! Of course, I mostly eat the skin, and feed a lot of the meat off them to my dogs, because I love the skin so much. LOL
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
lol... I'll take a boneless, skinless chicken breast every single time.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote