Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Dinner tonight.... 1st time in 25 years, I will be (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805555-dinner-tonight-1st-time-25-years-i-will.html)

Garlic 06-05-2013 12:59 PM

Dinner tonight.... 1st time in 25 years, I will be

enjoying some nice chicken skin! :jumpjoy:

As long as this LCHF way of life works for me, I think I am going to be very happy.... when I "did" low carb before, I really was trying to be low carb AND low fat.... talk about an unhappy camper. But now I have actually read more, and understand more, so I have confidence.

Chicken goes in the oven in an hour.... can't wait!

Dinner tonight:

Chicken with skin
cauliflower " mashed potatoes".... heavy cream, garlic, butter
broccoli - with some nice butter!

Dessert tonight:

1 or 2 Lemon Fat Bombs

pocahontas 06-05-2013 01:21 PM

25yrs without chicken skin! :faint:

Enjoy! :yummy:

Rhubarb 06-05-2013 01:29 PM

Who can complain about that delicious meal? Salut!

Blue Skies 06-05-2013 01:35 PM

:shake: If I never see another boneless, skinless, boring as all get out chicken breast again it will be way too soon.

One of the joys of Low Carb eating for me has been discovering how good chicken is when you don't strip it of what makes it juicy and flavorful. Roast skin on chicken vs. a stripped down chicken breast reminds me of the difference between a tomato in February from the grocery store, and one in a August from your garden. It's almost like they're two entirely different things.

If you want to try an easy peasy, really delishy roast chicken recipe check out the Barefoot Contessa's roast chicken stuffed w/lemons and garlic---you make the gravy by simply adding wine to the drippings, no flour needed, and so amazing! We make it w/ new potatoes, which I don't have of course, and big chunks of onions that get caramelized---which I do have. My mouth is watering writing this.

Port_louis 06-05-2013 01:35 PM

I am surprised you could make it so long without chicken skin!

Enjoy :up:

Garlic 06-05-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Port_louis (Post 16456962)
I am surprised you could make it so long without chicken skin!

Enjoy :up:

Well, I have had small nibbles, but not enough to really enjoy it.

Port_louis 06-05-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16456970)
Well, I have had small nibbles, but not enough to really enjoy it.

Well no more guilt for you :laugh: You should try chicken skin 'chips'. ;)

Ntombi 06-05-2013 01:52 PM

The meat wholesaler near me sells chicken skin by the case. :D

Charski 06-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16456992)
The meat wholesaler near me sells chicken skin by the case. :D

Oh now THAT made my mouth water! :yummy:

I could NEVER do without my fatty goodness - chicken and turkey skin, roasted to golden brown perfection, the perfectly-seared fat on a ribeye steak, the nice edge fat on a pork chop - I'd rather do without ice cream FOREVER in favor of those yummy morsels!

cfine 06-06-2013 06:11 PM

Y'all know we are weird, right?:rofl:

Erin57 06-06-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16459065)

:rofl:

Blue Skies 06-06-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16459065)

Well, we're certainly all weird by today's nutritional standards. But I'm realizing how "weird" it is to eat those entirely tasteless, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, when you can eat it as it is intended to be---and profit, not suffer, from all that delicious fat. If this is weird, sign me up for weird.:)

momov2boys 06-06-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16456881)
As long as this LCHF way of life works for me, I think I am going to be very happy....
when I "did" low carb before, I really was trying to be low carb AND low fat.... talk about an unhappy camper.
But now I have actually read more, and understand more, so I have confidence.

Yeah; low carb & low fat is no good & no fun.

Good for you! :high5:
ENJOY!

peanutte 06-06-2013 09:32 PM

I disagree. Low carb and lower fat--maybe I should say moderate fat-- is just fine, and some people prefer it, actually.

I love chicken breasts, and mine are never flavorless or dry. I also love a whole roasted chicken with crispy skin--occasionally, not all the time. Not because I am misinformed about fat or afraid of it, but because I just am not crazy about eating high fat meats on a frequent basis.

I don't believe Dr. Atkins intended for us to eat as much fat as possible. There's a difference between recoiling in horror from fat, and allowing it, enjoying it, but not adding more and more of it. I think people confuse the Fat Fast with some kind of guideline for "more fat is always better".

I feel a little disappointed when people seem to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, we can eat fat, and it's good. But enjoying boneless breast meat doesn't mean you hate fattier dark meat with skin...enjoying pork ribs doesn't mean you have to hate fish. Many of us enjoy both higher fat foods and lower fat foods, and it can all be part of a low carb diet.

This is a mileage-may-vary thing. Sometimes I feel like those who don't eat a lot of bacon, cream cheese, fatty steaks, HWC, etc. are viewed as "not really doing low carb", and that's not the case. I wouldn't want that message to cause newbies to think they are doing it wrong.

Arctic_Mama 06-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16456999)
Oh now THAT made my mouth water! :yummy:

I could NEVER do without my fatty goodness - chicken and turkey skin, roasted to golden brown perfection, the perfectly-seared fat on a ribeye steak, the nice edge fat on a pork chop - I'd rather do without ice cream FOREVER in favor of those yummy morsels!

I concur :shake:

princessmommy 06-07-2013 04:31 AM

Chicken skin lovers Unite! Lol!

momov2boys 06-07-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16459288)
I don't believe Dr. Atkins intended for us to eat as much fat as possible.

No; he didn't. And I don't think most people think that he did!

I think this thread is more about people enjoying their calories while eating LC.

:)

nolcjunk 06-07-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16459210)
Well, we're certainly all weird by today's nutritional standards. But I'm realizing how "weird" it is to eat those entirely tasteless, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, when you can eat it as it is intended to be---and profit, not suffer, from all that delicious fat. If this is weird, sign me up for weird.:)

I love chicken breasts with the skin off. Seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley- soooo good. When I hear people saying they are tasteless and dry I always think, how are you cooking them? Because mine are never dry or boring and taste-wise I prefer a chicken breast over something fattier like steak a lot of the time.

Don't get all the chicken breast hate.

peanutte 06-07-2013 11:53 AM

And I certainly do enjoy my food.

I think there's a psychological thing that a lot of people experience who have been on numerous other diets before; they are very relieved to be able to eat full-fat foods again. If you have felt tsk-tsked for wanting to eat avocados, butter, dark-meat chicken with the skin, and whole eggs, then of course it is liberating to start a low-carb diet and have all these things be not only permitted, but part of the diet.

I just don't personally like it when I feel like it's assumed that everybody revels in eating high-fat on low carb, because not everyone wants or needs to. I can't tell you the last time I bought cream cheese or mayonnaise, it's been so long--but I can tell you I am having roast chicken tonight--with the skin. And I will enjoy it.

Leo41 06-07-2013 12:36 PM

It may not be this thread, but there is a general theme on this board (and other low-carb boards) that high fat is necessary for low carb eating. That's not true, and it may deter people from trying a low-carb plan.

Stillman's and Dukan are both low-carb plans that are very low fat, and people lose weight healthily on both.

In 2007, when I began seriously losing weight via low-carb eating, I was also having some unrelated gastrointestinal problems. After a lot of inconclusive tests, my doctor suggested that since eating low fat relieved my symptoms, that would be a solution--and might effect a cure. He'd seen that happen in the past with other patients.

So for several years I ate low carb and very low fat. I didn't eat any faux 'products' but whole foods, simply prepared. I lost weight, and since I was being medically checked at the time because of my intestinal problems, I knew that my health wasn't being negatively impacted. After a few years, I was able to include more fat in my diet, and eventually I was 'cured' and have no restrictions at all.

I still prefer to eat more moderate fat, and when you're eating low carb, Dr. Atkins estimated that the fat in the food itself and the butter or oil used in its preparation is probably about 65% of most people's diet.

I would hate for anyone who, like me, was medically advised to eat low fat to assume that meant that it precludes eating low carb. As my stats show, low carb works even when it's low fat.

abby! 06-07-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16460328)
It may not be this thread, but there is a general theme on this board (and other low-carb boards) that high fat is necessary for low carb eating. That's not true, and it may deter people from trying a low-carb plan.

Stillman's and Dukan are both low-carb plans that are very low fat, and people lose weight healthily on both.

In 2007, when I began seriously losing weight via low-carb eating, I was also having some unrelated gastrointestinal problems. After a lot of inconclusive tests, my doctor suggested that since eating low fat relieved my symptoms, that would be a solution--and might effect a cure. He'd seen that happen in the past with other patients.

So for several years I ate low carb and very low fat. I didn't eat any faux 'products' but whole foods, simply prepared. I lost weight, and since I was being medically checked at the time because of my intestinal problems, I knew that my health wasn't being negatively impacted. After a few years, I was able to include more fat in my diet, and eventually I was 'cured' and have no restrictions at all.

I still prefer to eat more moderate fat, and when you're eating low carb, Dr. Atkins estimated that the fat in the food itself and the butter or oil used in its preparation is probably about 65% of most people's diet.

I would hate for anyone who, like me, was medically advised to eat low fat to assume that meant that it precludes eating low carb. As my stats show, low carb works even when it's low fat.

:goodpost:

Blue Skies 06-07-2013 01:45 PM

As to the fat, how much, when and how, it's obviously a personal choice. However, the reason many folks here talk about adding more fat is perhaps because they've done some reading---The "Art and Science of Low Carb Living" particularly, that makes quite a point of eating enough fat on a low Carb woe, especially when you approach or are in maintenance.

When you still have a lot of weight to lose, your body will use that for energy on a Keto adapted diet. But when you get to your goal weight, there isn't residual fat to burn, so it becomes necessary to be aware of adding enough in to avoid low energy. This may not be true for everyone, but as Phinney and Voleck have been treating patients on LC diets for years, and are themselves a part of the LC lifestyle, I think it's important information. Also, I believe Phinney wrote the latest Atkins book.

Also, to many, fat is sating and helpful on this woe. I only like fats certain ways and I wouldn't eat them in any form that wasn't pleasing to me. But the bottom line is since too much protein can be a problem you've got a choice between carbs and fat to fill in the rest. Most on a LC woe will need to eat more fat than they would if they were on a different regime. In fact P & V state pretty strongly that you will not be able to sustain a LC woe over the long haul if you do not learn to add enough fat in...not willy nilly, but w/respect to the better fats.

Blue Skies 06-07-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16460252)
I love chicken breasts with the skin off. Seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley- soooo good. When I hear people saying they are tasteless and dry I always think, how are you cooking them? Because mine are never dry or boring and taste-wise I prefer a chicken breast over something fattier like steak a lot of the time.

Don't get all the chicken breast hate.

Don't hate chicken breasts at all. Don't enjoy them stripped of their skin and bone. Love them roasted w/both. Everyone's taste buds dance to a different tune. :)

Dottie 06-07-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16460439)
However, the reason many folks here talk about adding more fat is perhaps because they've done some reading---The "Art and Science of Low Carb Living" particularly, that makes quite a point of eating enough fat on a low Carb woe, especially when you approach or are in maintenance.

Just an observation: if you wait a week, the weather will change :laugh:
Meaning, next month or 3 months from now a new author or study will come out and de-bunk this data - as it always does.
It all cycles.

Blue Skies 06-07-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16460453)
Just an observation: if you wait a week, the weather will change :laugh:
Meaning, next month or 3 months from now a new author or study will come out and de-bunk this data - as it always does.
It all cycles.

Basic endocrinology is not going to change or be "debunked." I am carb intolerant and that's a fact that's not going to change and something I have to accept. Carbohydrates spike your insulin, and if your insulin is resistant, it doesn't go well. Certain things are facts.

The book I was referring to is not some latest fad diet book. Nor are many other good books and research on the subject. It's taken decades for the health industry to even begin to question the efficacy of putting carb intolerant people on low fat high carb diets and it will probably take a lot longer before folks stop viewing fat as the enemy. Any look at grocery stores for the last decades will tell you this is true, w/hundreds of products labeled Low Fat! screaming from every shelf. (And hiding the fact they're all amped up w/more sugar.) So I think your idea that this changes w/in months is not correct. America has been Low fat Central for a very long time yet we continue to be a fatter country w/every new report.

I don't mean this as unfriendly at all, just a statement of my belief and commitment to what is working for me, and my hopes that it will keep me off medications w/nasty side effects that only address the symptoms w/out taking on the underlying causes---as well as hoping that others who have suffered w/carb intolerance will be lucky enough to read and learn what I have.

Amy Lynn 06-07-2013 05:27 PM

so....Garlic, how was your chicken skin? :)

Dottie 06-07-2013 05:44 PM

Blue I hear ya lol.
I'm just saying, look at the diet industry as a whole over decades - it changes rapidly and new "facts" come out every time a new plan hits mainstream.
It isn't necessarily facts -as in real facts -but facts as in "who can skew the study results in their favor the most".
That's why the diet industry is an ever-changing, billions of dollars a year enterprise.

Blue Skies 06-07-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16460704)
Blue I hear ya lol.
I'm just saying, look at the diet industry as a whole over decades - it changes rapidly and new "facts" come out every time a new plan hits mainstream.
It isn't necessarily facts -as in real facts -but facts as in "who can skew the study results in their favor the most".
That's why the diet industry is an ever-changing, billions of dollars a year enterprise.

Have you read "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living?"

I guess where you and I are disagreeing is that you see the book I mentioned as part of the "diet industry." I do not. I don't see Gary Taubes' books as part of the diet industry either. Nor do I see their cause as selling the public a new fad diet. I don't think that was Dr. Atkin's purpose either, and when you read about him you find how far ahead of his time he was in so many ways.

There's a very touching story about him from his long time nurse, at the end of "The Art and Science..." She talks about how much he did not want to be known as a "Diet Doctor" but rather as a Dr. who looked outside the box for natural remedies to diseases, particularly of the over weight and carb intolerant. His dream has still not been achieved. But slowly, he's beginning to get the respect he deserves.

And no, I really don't think these things "change all the time." I think the vast majority of "Diet books" and God yes, diet articles in women's magazines, have for decades been based on a low fat model, as have most Dr. and nutritionist recommendations. And that's just fine for those who it works for, and those who are not carb intolerant.

Hey, we're all here trying to do something good for ourselves. You, me and everyone else on this board. No one has a corner on the truth. I'm OK if we agree to disagree on this one. :)

MtherGoos 06-09-2013 11:47 AM

Ntombi, I wish I could a find a butcher in my area that sold chicken skin by the case... or by itself at all! YUM!!! But since I can't, my favorite way to make my chicken right now is just to coat some chicken thighs, skin on of course, with olive oil and seasoning salt and bake them in the oven. SO SO good!!! Of course, I mostly eat the skin, and feed a lot of the meat off them to my dogs, because I love the skin so much. LOL

DiamondDeb 06-09-2013 03:32 PM

lol... I'll take a boneless, skinless chicken breast every single time.