Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   does anyone just count carbs... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805538-does-anyone-just-count-carbs.html)

j4Christ 06-05-2013 08:31 AM

does anyone just count carbs...

but not necessarily what foods they come from? For instance, if I want to keep my carbs level at 20 gr./day, but I chose to get those carb gr. from any food/drink source I like?

If you do this could you please tell me what your losses have been like?

ravenrose 06-05-2013 09:54 AM

yes, lots do that, but generally after some period (from two weeks to several years) of doing induction "by the book." it depends on how severe your metabolic problems are whether you need that extra help or not.

and really, nutrition MATTERS. if you get your few carbs from junk and not vegetables and stuff, you will pay for that healthwise too. once you have low carbed for a month, you will be surprised how delicious low carb vegetables are!

if your question is, could I sneak in a few almonds? that's different than something really junky!

best of luck!

zombiegoat2000 06-05-2013 04:46 PM

Yes but not till after two week induction/restart/reboot

Arctic_Mama 06-05-2013 05:09 PM

Ravenrose hit the nail on the head. Many people do this after induction or their initial diet phase on whatever plan they choose - but do be careful that you're not using this as a shortcut to allowing nutritionally devoid food. Occasionally that is just fine to trade off, and very common in maintenance, but be wise and make the bulk of your diet each week a selection of quality carb foods, not junk. For your health and comfort this is the best choice. That doesn't mean we can't eat too much HWC or berries on occasion, but it really must be infrequent if you want to remain in optimal health and lose at the best clip.

j4Christ 06-09-2013 09:14 AM

Thanks, ladies (I thanked you in my head 4 days ago, but forgot to post it, sorry!) To be sure, the food choices are healthy, at least I think so...carrots, not picking out potato pieces, wine:love: stuff like that. Not eat a candy bar and then zero carb the rest of the day.
Just enough to make it liveable. However, I have yet to do a clean induction, but plan to at some point then continue on my own LC way.

Best to you all!

emel 06-09-2013 09:55 AM

From your examples, I'd say no to the potato pieces, but yes to the carrots, and occasionally yes to the wine.

Other things in my 'occasional' list in a small quantity --- V8 juice, coconut flour, almond butter in a recipe but not just eat it off a spoon, bourbon once a week at most, and 1/2 oz nuts if I'm starving and in a hurry (the nuts are a last resort and I measure them out). Definitely not every day, for me.

Gator girl 06-09-2013 10:14 AM

I am new to the forum, but I have been on Atkins since April. I eat a McDonald's ice cream every day on my way home from work. I am still in ketosis and eat maybe 15 carbs from veggies.

Aleina 06-09-2013 10:29 AM

It is a tradeoff. I did not lose with wine in my diet for example. I would not eat nothing with refined sugar even the tiniest amount. The induction period I think is twofold. To detox from carbs and from habits. If you have a day when you feel that it is all too much and a sugar twistlestick with mango flavour would just be the thing I would not hesitate to eat an extra portion of cheesecake as the craving is a manifestation of the detox. However if you indulge the craving with just a little bit of the real stuff it will not really go away and could jeopardise you in the longterm. I find that the cleaner induction makes for an easier journey in total. Makes sense ?

Ntombi 06-09-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator girl (Post 16462555)
I am new to the forum, but I have been on Atkins since April. I eat a McDonald's ice cream every day on my way home from work. I am still in ketosis and eat maybe 15 carbs from veggies.

I'm glad that's working for you, but I wouldn't say you're doing Atkins. Atkins does not allow full sugar ice cream, especially not daily. You're doing your own LC plan. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't call it Atkins.

And :welcome: to the forum! :)

ChristiansMom 06-09-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

That isn't Atkins and if you are telling people that, you are doing them a disservice.

Mistizoom 06-09-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

:shock: That's like 20 g sugar! I agree with the others, what you are doing might be working for you, but it's not Atkins!

:welcome:, BTW!