Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Anyone have this problem during induction? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805535-anyone-have-problem-during-induction.html)

txsgrl77 06-05-2013 08:02 AM

Anyone have this problem during induction?

So, here's the deal. Started induction last Friday. I'm down 7 lbs since then...:jumpjoy: However, I've noticed an increase in blood pressure. Not a crazy one...I'm normally in the normal range 120/80 ish...The last few times I've taken my BP it has been 133/89 and this morning 128/86. Slightly elevated, I am guessing. Has anyone else ever experienced this as a symptom of starting this new WOE? What have you done to combat this issue? Maybe I should be keeping a closer eye on the sodium intake as well? Thanks for any input.:)

Dottie 06-05-2013 09:23 AM

It could be as simple as too much salt, not enough water, maybe too little potassium as well, but as always: it doesn't hurt to chat with your doctor and make sure it's not something else.

ravenrose 06-05-2013 09:39 AM

no, this does not make sense to me. when you lose that much weight that fast, it's water, of course, and that water loss takes LOTS of sodium with it. That's why they now recommend people drink 2 cups of broth a day while doing real low carb. I don't think you should cut sodium more, it could be dangerous.

are you sure it's not just an inaccurate pressure cuff or that you are testing at different times of day or something? I know I can't get good readings at home even though I have what's supposedly a very good machine with the larger cuff and all.

txsgrl77 06-05-2013 12:37 PM

well...

both times I tested it was at the little sit down thing at the pharmacy. It wasn't the same time of day....off by maybe two hours. I'm new to this, so I wasn't really sure about the sodium thing...which is why I asked. Thought maybe someone else has some experience. I know the first three or four days, after I calculated everything my sodium intake was a little high compared to what I normally was taking in, so I wondered if that's what could cause the BP to raise....but both times it was still a little higher than normal..just concerned me a bit :)

lterry913 06-06-2013 08:34 AM

I think potassium and sodium work together so maybe they are off...maybe check with doc or at least do some more reading on the 2.

Spanilingo 06-06-2013 08:40 AM

Whenever I'm dehydrated my blood pressure drops too low. Doctor recommends drinking more. I'd look for a pattern

peanutte 06-06-2013 10:18 AM

No, I had the opposite experience. I was on medication for my sky-high blood pressure, and it came down to normal within about two months on Atkins . I didn't need the medication any more.

Those pharmacy machines are not necessarily very accurate, and home cuffs generally aren't either. The numbers you're reporting are not high enough to warrant concern in my opinion. They're very close to normal.

AnnetteW 06-06-2013 11:41 AM

Do you drink coffee and test shortly after? Caffeine makes my blood pressure rise and I actually quit caffeine (when I did induction...ouch.) It has dropped since.