Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I'm falling in love (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805452-im-falling-love.html)

SweetMe678 06-04-2013 01:57 PM

I'm falling in love
 
with mayonnaise! LOL

That is what DH just said to me. Being a type 1 diabetic, he has been fully indoctrinated his whole life to the low fat/high carb woe. When he first started going low carb with me a few months past, he had a hard time eating mayonnaise. He would ask "Are you sure I can eat this much?" Or he would warn me that I shouldn't lick the mayo spoon "that might be too much fat honey!" :hyst:

Now I think he eats a bigger dollop than I do, as he is always asking me if I have any left on plate when we have burger patties for diner :D

Ntombi 06-04-2013 02:30 PM

:) I love mayonnaise. Eventually, I'd like to make my own, but I'm not there yet.

I also make a delicious spicy mayo dip that goes well on both meat and veggies.

mcchimento 06-04-2013 02:52 PM

Okay share your recipes. I eat mayo ALL the time. I could use a new spicy dip for meats.

ladyinlove56 06-04-2013 02:54 PM

l love mayo too.....I put a jar of chopped red pimentos, salt and org..Mrs Dash together for a dressing...good....

SweetMe678 06-04-2013 03:06 PM

Yes please share ntombi!

Our current favorite flavored mayo is lime ginger

in 2c mayo zest and juice 1 lime. Add 1/2 T ginger (to taste) I've used fresh finely shredded, or dry. Let sit overnight in fridge.

It goes really good with fish and chicken.

heahyou00 06-04-2013 03:26 PM

Mix mayo with Sriracha, you know the rooster sauce, its so darn yummy on like sandwiches or you could dip meat in it!! And I dont like super spicy, but mixing it with the mayo cuts down on the spicyness!

Charski 06-04-2013 03:28 PM

I love it with sriracha, and I also love it mixed with Chipotle Tabasco sauce. Yum.

I make my own when I get around to it, which lately isn't often. Otherwise I LOVE the McCormick's lime mayo that I can get at the Mexican market. I could eat that stuff on just about anything. It's REALLY good on sliced avocadoes!

Ntombi 06-04-2013 03:45 PM

I make it slightly differently each time, but the key is lots of garlic, lots of spice (sometimes in the form of hot sauce, sometimes in the form of powdered chili peppers, sometimes both), a bit of paprika, and a drop of sweetzfree liquid Splenda, or whatever sweetener you prefer. It is so good on just about everything, and I go through a ton of it. I find myself making about a pint every couple of weeks.

Blue Skies 06-04-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heahyou00 (Post 16455205)
Mix mayo with Sriracha, you know the rooster sauce, its so darn yummy on like sandwiches or you could dip meat in it!! And I dont like super spicy, but mixing it with the mayo cuts down on the spicyness!

Now that is a seriously good idea. I LOVE Sriracha, never would have thought of this. Some people have a sweet tooth, I have a spicy tooth. So thanks, heahyou. I think I'll add a squirt of lemon and some garlic too. Why have I been eating plain old mayo all this time?

To the OP---yep, I love Mayo too, always have. Miracle Whip---blech! Has to be Hellmann's for me---short of making it myself, which I'd like to try sometime, but won't work for me day in and day out. I bought this fancy Mayo at a food co-op here, boasts all kinds of spices but It's not half as good as good old Hellmann's.

Ntombi 06-04-2013 04:20 PM

Hellman's/Best Foods here too. There's nothing like it.

Mistizoom 06-04-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16455293)
Hellman's/Best Foods here too. There's nothing like it.

Love Hellman's/Best Foods (west of the Rockies :)). I feel guilty eating it though because I know it is not made from the best oils. But it tastes so good. I too, want to make my own. I even have light olive oil and macadamia nut oil to make it with. I just haven't gotten the motivation yet, and I like my Hellman's.

Ntombi 06-04-2013 05:57 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have read all the threads about making your own, I know the oil isn't the best. But…Hellman's. :o

llisarray 06-04-2013 06:25 PM

Nothing but Kraft ! Yum...lol

marieze 06-04-2013 08:38 PM

I put one cup of mayo, one trimmed bunch of cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic, pinch of salt and the juice of one lime in my ninja and YUM.....a Cilantro Pesto dip to be used for anything....absolutely delicious!!!!

Ntombi 06-04-2013 10:00 PM

Okay, I just made my dip again tonight, and this time I added

Habenero mustard
Paprika
Minced garlic
Some liquid from a jar of jalapeņos
Chipotle pepper
A couple of slices of cherry peppers, finely minced
One drop of sweetzfree


:yummy: I had it with ham for tonight's dinner.

Like I said, it's different every time, depending on my mood. The only common elements are mayo, garlic, and spice, but it's always delicious.

Sailor Girl 06-05-2013 06:31 AM

I love the olive oil mayonnaise. I too, had a really hard time bringing it back into my diet. When I was in high school, I so clearly remember my friends mother saying that mayo gave you back fat! Lol! That always stuck with me and I avoided it since. Who wants back fat??

Chuck41 06-06-2013 02:07 PM

Mayo is great. I lived in England a couple years and never could get used to their butter-instead-of-mayo thing. Miracle Whip is just nasty to me, but Mayo is great on most everything. Wonder how it would be made from coconut oil?

Blue Skies 06-06-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Girl (Post 16456096)
I love the olive oil mayonnaise. I too, had a really hard time bringing it back into my diet. When I was in high school, I so clearly remember my friends mother saying that mayo gave you back fat! Lol! That always stuck with me and I avoided it since. Who wants back fat??

:lol: Oh brother, the things that stick w/us, and how wrong they can be. And then there's the whole subject of "back fat." For some odd reason, the back fat part of being overweight bothered me more than the "front fat." Weird, I know. Lucky for me, I've seen a big decrease in that on this LC woe.

I'm just old enough that my Mother and her friends wouldn't touch starches and sweets when they were dieting, but weren't concerned w/the fats. My mom's diet dinners always consisted of a steak and a salad---often a "Minute Steak," something you rarely hear of these days. Then in came fat phobia, and three decades of Low Fat nutritional advice, and what did we get for that? An America that is fatter than ever.

OTOH, my mother's generation was pretty clueless in other ways. We had one of those machines where you hooked a big band around your hips and butt, turned it on, and it vibrated you---darn thing could make your teeth chatter.:laugh: I remember my mother doing that for 15 minutes at a time, day after day. She's still w/us, thankfully, and we often laugh like crazy about that. She says she wishes she could have all those minutes back.

lanita 06-09-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16458917)
:lol: Oh brother, the things that stick w/us, and how wrong they can be. And then there's the whole subject of "back fat." For some odd reason, the back fat part of being overweight bothered me more than the "front fat." Weird, I know. Lucky for me, I've seen a big decrease in that on this LC woe.

I'm just old enough that my Mother and her friends wouldn't touch starches and sweets when they were dieting, but weren't concerned w/the fats. My mom's diet dinners always consisted of a steak and a salad---often a "Minute Steak," something you rarely hear of these days. Then in came fat phobia, and three decades of Low Fat nutritional advice, and what did we get for that? An America that is fatter than ever.

OTOH, my mother's generation was pretty clueless in other ways. We had one of those machines where you hooked a big band around your hips and butt, turned it on, and it vibrated you---darn thing could make your teeth chatter.:laugh: I remember my mother doing that for 15 minutes at a time, day after day. She's still w/us, thankfully, and we often laugh like crazy about that. She says she wishes she could have all those minutes back.

Omg!! Blue Skies!!! My grandma totally had one of those vibrating belt thingies that we would all take turns on when we were pretty young. I might have been 10 or so. I would get on it and try to sing You Light Up My Life- it sounded so funny!! If I got on one of those contraptions now, I'm pretty sure I would knock my uterus out of alignment!

baileygirl3 06-09-2013 09:46 AM

I love mayo!!! I could lick it right off the spoon!!!

Dede66 06-09-2013 08:55 PM

Hellmans is the best in my opinion... the best tuna ever when made with that stuff.. it cost more but worth it!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.