LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte;16459050 I just needed to pay attention to my own little science project. I guess I found myself observing what [I
was[/I] happening, instead of what I might have expected, been led to believe, or wished would be happening.

I like your use of the word "neutral", Blue Skies. I was finally ready to get serious once I realized I needed to be rational and neutral about it--not emotional or fearful or defensive (which I was).
peanutte---I absolutely LOVE what you said about our woe being "our own little science project." Boy, that's what it all really boils down to. And we all profit from tracking or counting or exploring or any old word you want to apply, that which helps us understand better what we're eating, what's working, and what is not.

And yeah, I like the word "neutral" too. But I will re-iterate that I DON'T feel neutral about carbs, do feel neutral about calories to a much greater extent. I have come to realize I am carb intolerant. And like someone w/celiac's disease or someone w/lactose intolerance, I cannot afford to be any more neutral about carbs then someone who has an allergy to wheat or dairy can afford to be neutral about a slice of bread or a glass of milk.

I never thought of myself as "carb intolerant," until I did the vast amt of reading on it I have done, as a "side dish" to my LC woe. It has been a real eye-opener to me, to think of myself in the same way those who battle w/food allergies have always had to think of themselves.

So yeah, I'm emotionally and intellectually invested in keeping my carbs low, and that feels very right for me now. Calories? Shrug and meh, just a matter of info to me.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
So yeah, I'm emotionally and intellectually invested in keeping my carbs low, and that feels very right for me now. Calories? Shrug and meh, just a matter of info to me.

Good for you!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
NOPE!!

Never have...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
NO!! I eat very low carb and very high fat. No calorie counting. Been there, done that. It doesn't work for me. I'm doing just fine maintaining and I've been eating this way for a very long time.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Yep. I do.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glennjones
Stats: 244/214/200 6'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 16 2013
Nope - don't count calories but I notice them when I use the Atkins Carb Tracker app on my iPhone - then promptly ignore them - counting carbs only
glennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #67
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri f View Post
NO!! I eat very low carb and very high fat. No calorie counting. Been there, done that. It doesn't work for me. I'm doing just fine maintaining and I've been eating this way for a very long time.
Terri!!! You are my hero!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I count calories now.

on atkins before with very very low carb I didn't track cals. because honestly even with tons of butter etc. added to my foods my calorie count would never kinda go that high anyway.

I couldn't stand very low carb. I am now moderate carb. So now I count cals. There is nothing to it. I track my food. I want a record of how and what effects me, how my eating habits are and want to see them on paper etc.

I am now 1500 cals, up to 40 NC ---4 days per week.
and 1700 cals, up to 60-70 NC----3 days a week (friday, sat. sunday)

I am losing great and it is working very well for me.

when I put in my TDEE and found out that I can maintain my goal weigh at 1700 calories per day, I decided to just eat that, then lower it a bit for a few days and YES I am losing weight great AND eating very well some of the moderate carbs items I want back in my life.

I found my path finally. count the calories, keep the carbs managed, and track and eat some old time favorites.

it is working so well for me I am happy I stumbled upon my own lower/moderate carb way and make it work.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I do not count them although I kinda keep an idea thoughout the day about how many I am consuming if that makes sense
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I found my path finally. count the calories, keep the carbs managed, and track and eat some old time favorites.

it is working so well for me I am happy I stumbled upon my own lower/moderate carb way and make it work.

Good for you!

It's really all about whatever works for us, individually.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
thanks mom
it really is important for everyone to experiment with themselves. there is a path that suits us. sometimes it just takes a bit to find it
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
After years and years of calorie counting in efforts to lose weight, I no longer do it. I remember I used to wake up calculating what I could have for breakfast and stay within my allowance - and so the day would go on, with this constant internal dialogue of adding up, working out how much of a given food I could eat, and so on. I just became obsessed with what I was eating, to the extent that I finally gave up eating 'real' foods and only ate things that had the calorie counts listed on the packet (mostly Weight Watchers ready meals).

Low carbing, for me, is freedom from all that. Most foods I eat are simply meat, fish, or eggs with the addition of green leafy veg, and limited amounts of things like tomatoes. There aren't many things I eat that come with a label I use cheeses as condiments - a sprinkle of a strong flavoured cheese goes a long way. I do keep a daily food diary, wherein I list everything I eat - if I find myself not losing, or (gulp!) gaining, then I can look back and find out why - but that's the only thing I use the diary for, really.

Having said that, for the past couple of weeks, I've been restricting my calorie intake to 500 cals, two days a week (the 5:2 diet, on top of low carbing). This is more for the health benefits of fasting than for weight loss. Even on these 'fasting' days all I do is work out roughly what I can eat in one meal for 500 calories, and just eat that - works for me. I have no idea what my calorie levels are on other days - but whatever they are, I've now lost around 70 lbs (since last August), and that makes me happy!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote