Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Oysters anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805385-oysters-anyone.html)

avid 06-03-2013 02:05 PM

Oysters anyone?

I was shopping earlier and needing some tuna I was browsing the canned seafood aisle. I saw canned oysters. Reading the label showed 2g. carbs so I figured "ok, let's try this"...I heated them up with some evoo and Mrs. Dash, and served them with some hot spinach and mushrooms.
DELICIOUS!!!.
I was wondering what other LCF's thought about Oysters.
Do you eat them, if so how ?
Do you eat then for taste or health or whatever?

emel 06-03-2013 02:10 PM

We're lucky down here because we can get them fresh nearly year-round, but I like canned oysters, too.

1 (3 3/4 ounce) can smoked oysters
3 ounce cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch lemon pepper (optional)
1 -2 dash hot sauce, to taste (I use a touch more).

Sometimes I use more cream cheese if I'm sharing with people who don't like strong flavors. But I like it as written.

Charski 06-03-2013 02:12 PM

I adore smoked oysters! I buy the ones that Trader Joe's carries - they're packed in olive oil and they're really good.

I eat them on homemade crackers, usually with a schmear of cream cheese or Costco carries this jalapeno Greek yogurt dip that is AWESOME with them.

I'll eat raw oysters, as long as they're the small ones, and I love Oysters Rockefeller (the ONLY way DH will touch an oyster) or oyster stew or fried oysters.

Ntombi 06-03-2013 02:12 PM

I love oysters. I mostly eat them fresh, not canned.

emel 06-03-2013 02:19 PM

Oh, and Poor Man's Rockerfeller:

a cracker or cracker alternative
add a dollop of warm spinach dip.
Top with an oyster and drizzle with hot sauce.

SweetMe678 06-03-2013 02:31 PM

I love oysters! For a treat I will buy a tin of the smoked oysters and eat with small amount of cream cheese, sometimes with a couple pork rinds for crunch. When I lived in MO, I found cherry wood smoked oysters. . . they almost ruined me on the 'regular' ones :D

We also get them fresh from some of the 'farms' around here

clackley 06-03-2013 08:29 PM

Yes, please!:D

Blue Skies 06-03-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16453398)
We're lucky down here because we can get them fresh nearly year-round, but I like canned oysters, too.

1 (3 3/4 ounce) can smoked oysters
3 ounce cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch lemon pepper (optional)
1 -2 dash hot sauce, to taste (I use a touch more).

Sometimes I use more cream cheese if I'm sharing with people who don't like strong flavors. But I like it as written.

This sounds very good, emel. Do you chop up the oysters, or do you mix them in whole?

Garlic 06-03-2013 10:29 PM

Oyster stew is my favorite stew / soup. Nothing else even comes close.

Key Tones 06-04-2013 12:12 AM

Oysters are full of minerals! That's why I get them.

I was confused when I bought a bunch before Thanksgiving - the checker thought I was going to put them in the stuffing. I had never heard of that, and he pointed out that the man in front of me in line had just purchased some for his stuffing.

emel 06-04-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16453953)
This sounds very good, emel. Do you chop up the oysters, or do you mix them in whole?

I use a hand mixer to combine. The canned oysters are quite soft, so they get smooshed up.

Chuck41 06-04-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlic (Post 16453956)
Oyster stew is my favorite stew / soup. Nothing else even comes close.

Mine too. I love fresh Oysters, unfortunately, they are not plentiful here in AR. :sad:
Never tried the canned ones with creamed cheese, byt it sounds good. Have to give it a try.

Garlic 06-04-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck41 (Post 16454455)
Mine too. I love fresh Oysters, unfortunately, they are not plentiful here in AR. :sad:
Never tried the canned ones with creamed cheese, byt it sounds good. Have to give it a try.

Great Chucks think alike.

lanita 06-04-2013 08:39 AM

Ok, Emel... I hate to seem dense but after you make this oyster/cream cheese mixture what do you do with it? How do you eat it?

mimivac 06-04-2013 08:46 AM

I love them. There's an oyster happy hour around here that I like to hit during oyster season. Love the small ones from up north. When I was in NOLA a few months ago, I ate my weight in both raw and broiled oysters every day.

Jaded62 06-04-2013 09:09 AM

I buy the canned ones drain, pat dry and dip in soy flourmixed with spices and deep fat fry them. YUMMY !!!!!

Dottie 06-04-2013 05:02 PM

I keep tins of smoked ones in the pantry all the time. Great snack :)
I like Crown Prince Natural Smoked Oysters in Pure Olive Oil because of the olive oil rather than soybean oil or whatever else.

momov2boys 06-04-2013 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reminder!
I :heart: smoked oysters and should pick some up, soon.

:)

Blue Skies 06-06-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanita (Post 16454547)
Ok, Emel... I hate to seem dense but after you make this oyster/cream cheese mixture what do you do with it? How do you eat it?

:laugh: Not dense at all. It's one of those paradoxes about LC eating that you can have all the dips you want, but not the dippers. And most of us like some crunch w/our dip.

I have found pork rinds to be excellent for this. Never had one before this LC woe, and always thought they sounded ghastly. Not at all, although you may need to try a few brands to find the one you like, they all really vary. I like Old Dutch Bac'n Puffs. They're light and crispy w/just enough extra zing and flavor.

Other "dippers" I use are celery, of course, raw cauliflower florets, which I love,--- and often overlooked is endive, which makes a GREAT dipper imo, complete w/a big hollow place to spread your dip.

I have from time to time used a WASA cracker, they're large and crispy good, but still 7 to 9 carbs per, and although a lot bigger than most crackers, still usually more carbs than I want to barter away.