Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: funnybunny919
I'm pretty new to this and for inspirational purposes i'd like to know...

How much you have lost and how long did it take you? THANK YOU!!!!
funnybunny919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...loss-here.html

100 lb losers...share your story

You can also see most people's losses and start dates under their avatar on the left.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-03-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I have lost 163lbs since the middle of last July. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: funnybunny919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
I have lost 163lbs since the middle of last July. Hope this is what you were looking for.
YES!!! This is what I was looking for!! Thank you! And DOUBLE WOW!!!!! That is AMAZINGLY inspiring for sure!!
funnybunny919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
39 lbs in 5 months.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 210/174/160 5'5"
I lost about 55 lbs in SIX MONTHS...but about 40 has crept back on...the only way I can keep it off is to stay far away from bad carbs...I can't just have a little moderately.

Best of luck to you! Get ready for a true life change...not just a quick fix.
becky123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:
That is amazing.. So you just went mod carb?
Do you exercise too?

I have been trying to lose 40 pounds for about 4 years!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
The first time was 93 pounds lost in 11 months.

So far this time, 43 since early February. And I could kick myself for gaining it all back and then some!!
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
As for me, I've lost an average of about 18 pounds per year. Does that make me a failure, because my rate is snails-pace slow at about 1.4 pounds per month? Would you quit if that progress were yours?

What about when I say I'm down just shy of 100 pounds, went from a size 24 to a 10/12, and did it while pregnant and nursing on and off the entire time? And that despite many years working at the weight and huge life/hormonal events, I have never sustained a significant regain? Never yoyoed? Does that make it more impressive? Would it inspire you to do the same?

The lesson of this is that quantity and speed means little if you can't keep it off. Losing weight slowly, or even just maintaining, but doing it forever, is a far greater achievement (in my mind) than shedding ten pounds per month and piling it back on just as quickly. Losing weight isn't just a temporary diet - it is an entire paradigm for your existence. It must become your way of life and mode of thinking, until it is as automatic as breathing. There is no going back to the way you ate before, without LOOKING how you did before. There's no end date, no 'arriving'. What so few in our culture seem to understand about weight loss is that it has almost nothing to do with the losing and EVERYTHING to do with the persistence and lifelong dedication to continue at health promoting behaviors. The entire premise of your question is a bit concerning - because if speed and quantity is your motivator, instead of successful maintenance even with a small amount of shed weight, the chances of you falling off the wagon one day and regaining are quite large.

Do yourself a favor and focus on the big picture. Would you rather take off ten pounds in a year and keep it gone forever or shrink three dress sizes during the summer only to be in TIGHT older clothes come January? That's the reality for many dieters, and it doesn't have to be yours. But you must understand that speed can actually be deleterious, if it hasn't given you the time to work on your head and change the root of the weight issues - choices and behaviors.

You don't need an amazing diet or super spiffy plan to lose weight and keep it off. Iron clad persistence even when the scale ISN'T moving and the food is BORING is going to serve you so much better than dropping the weight like it's hot, only to see it come back (with a few extra friends) in a year or three.

I hope this has been helpful

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 06-03-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I started May 21st 2012 and so far i've lost 58 lbs! So a little over a yr. I still have a little bit to go but I Know i'll get there! I'm determined And stubborn! Lol!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MindAtEaze
Stats: 411/371/250
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 1, 2013
Back in 2007 I went from about 416 (my highest) to 298 (my lowest) from March 1 to about the end of October. So about 118 lbs in 7 months. I wasn't really following any type of serious plan just in non-stop induction mode. Making sure I ate less than 20 carbs a day, but many days at a time I would go with no carbs (basically just eating eggs and sausage for breakfast. and hamburgers and hot dogs in zero carb buns with pork skins and diet soda on the side for lunch and dinner). Losing so much weight so quickly was amazing and I was happy with the results although I feel I actually could have done better. I cheated a lot. Don't cheat. Cheating is pointless. Those few bites of satisfaction from eating that horrible food is not worth stalling your weight loss. During that time the longest I probably went in ketosis was about a week and a half. Then I would maybe cheat for a day or so but get back focused.... After all that started back eating those bad foods and am just now getting to the point where I am serious about getting back on track for good. Took several years but I eventually put all the weight back on. But honestly it didn't come back on easily. I earned it. I'm the type of person who will typically go get a super sized value meal with desert for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not to mention snacks after bedtime and soda after soda. Wont let that happen again though. This time I'm hitting my goal weight and I'm keeping it off forever. Even when it comes to a point where I have to re-blend into the typical eating society, never again will I allow myself to over indulge on such bad sugar and carbs. I think for me it comes to a point when its not even about the food and the hunger, but more a mental thing, the routine and comfort that come from the food. But I'm maturing and ready to make this a lifestyle change and not just a diet I'm on for a few months.... Good luck with yours I wish you much success.
MindAtEaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindAtEaze View Post
This time I'm hitting my goal weight and I'm keeping it off forever.
Even when it comes to a point where I have to re-blend into the typical eating society, never again will I allow myself to over indulge on such bad sugar and carbs.

I think for me it comes to a point when its not even about the food and the hunger, but more a mental thing, the routine and comfort that come from the food.
But I'm maturing and ready to make this a lifestyle change and not just a diet I'm on for a few months....
Great post !!!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
I started toward the end of July 2012, and I am down 58.5 pounds.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
What Article Mama said!! This is my thoughts exactly. I have lost 65 lbs. in about 13 months. I could have lost more, but I have chosen to stop along the way and smell the roses. I don't feel like I have some goal that I have to get to by next Thursday. If I want a few bites of popcorn, I have them. The goal is to be better, stronger, healthier, and yes, skinnier, by next year, but it doesn't have to come all at once. I like settling into my new weight. After losing 50 lbs I didn't lose any more for about three months. Now I am back to losing.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I began low carb with weight loss as my objective but it is so much more about health than that. For me it has translated into a loss of 60 lbs., almost immediate relief from chronic back pain and IBS symptoms. What followed soon after was a relief of intrusive thoughts of food, chronic clinical depression, high blood pressure, sleep issues, and those are just a few of the high lites!

The thought of giving up the foods I thought I could not live without turned out to be a trade off of sorts but in retrospect, it was without a doubt trading up!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
As for me, I've lost an average of about 18 pounds per year. Does that make me a failure, because my rate is snails-pace slow at about 1.4 pounds per month? Would you quit if that progress were yours?

What about when I say I'm down just shy of 100 pounds, went from a size 24 to a 10/12, and did it while pregnant and nursing on and off the entire time? And that despite many years working at the weight and huge life/hormonal events, I have never sustained a significant regain? Never yoyoed? Does that make it more impressive? Would it inspire you to do the same?

The lesson of this is that quantity and speed means little if you can't keep it off. Losing weight slowly, or even just maintaining, but doing it forever, is a far greater achievement (in my mind) than shedding ten pounds per month and piling it back on just as quickly. Losing weight isn't just a temporary diet - it is an entire paradigm for your existence. It must become your way of life and mode of thinking, until it is as automatic as breathing. There is no going back to the way you ate before, without LOOKING how you did before. There's no end date, no 'arriving'. What so few in our culture seem to understand about weight loss is that it has almost nothing to do with the losing and EVERYTHING to do with the persistence and lifelong dedication to continue at health promoting behaviors. The entire premise of your question is a bit concerning - because if speed and quantity is your motivator, instead of successful maintenance even with a small amount of shed weight, the chances of you falling off the wagon one day and regaining are quite large.

Do yourself a favor and focus on the big picture. Would you rather take off ten pounds in a year and keep it gone forever or shrink three dress sizes during the summer only to be in TIGHT older clothes come January? That's the reality for many dieters, and it doesn't have to be yours. But you must understand that speed can actually be deleterious, if it hasn't given you the time to work on your head and change the root of the weight issues - choices and behaviors.

You don't need an amazing diet or super spiffy plan to lose weight and keep it off. Iron clad persistence even when the scale ISN'T moving and the food is BORING is going to serve you so much better than dropping the weight like it's hot, only to see it come back (with a few extra friends) in a year or three.

I hope this has been helpful
You're such a rockstar, Mama! For what it's worth, I totally cosign every word.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm taking a lesson from you now, Tril! I'm a daily weigher with an extensive weight log and graphical tracking, but since the weight was coming off slowly in OWL and I was getting annoyed, I have gone back to strict induction and ditched my scale except for weighing at the end of summer! Now I'm focusing on my food logs only, and noting changes in energy and clothing, but completely independent of the scale.

That way, when I DO break it out, I know I'll be thrilled with the results rather than perturbed at daily fluctuations. Your recent post got me to thinking about that and while I really benefit from tight scale management during maintenance, it means next to nothing when I'm actively losing. I can't control the scale - but I CAN control my choices and behaviors. And I always feel so happy after another day of giving it my all to stay perfectly on plan, that's really all the encouragement I need right now. So you have given me BIG help lately, without even knowing it
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama
I can't control the scale - but I CAN control my choices and behaviors.
That's the biggest thing for me. Hands down.

I don't set weight goals with time limits, because I can't control what the scale does, or even what the tape measure does, I can only control my behavior. I set behavioral goals only, and trust that the fat loss will follow at some point.

I do weigh daily, because it helps me keep on track and make mindful choices, not because I see big changes, or even consistent losses. I also measure monthly, so I'm able to get positive reinforcement with each installment. Both methodologies help keep me on track.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I started on February 22, and just today I hit the 50 pound mark, so 50 pounds in about 3 1/2 months.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That's the biggest thing for me. Hands down.

I don't set weight goals with time limits, because I can't control what the scale does, or even what the tape measure does, I can only control my behavior. I set behavioral goals only, and trust that the fat loss will follow at some point.

I do weigh daily, because it helps me keep on track and make mindful choices, not because I see big changes, or even consistent losses. I also measure monthly, so I'm able to get positive reinforcement with each installment. Both methodologies help keep me on track.
This is all true for me except the measuring (I wish I had done it, and I wish I had taken "before" pics, too. I've just been too lazy. ). But I absolutely take as much pleasure and satisfaction from "days on plan" as I do from "pounds lost".

Another reason that I weigh daily is that I can't handle more than a little disappointment at a time. If I was a weekly or monthly weigher, I would be much more focused on getting myself to weigh-in day and I think I'd be much more disappointed if I didn't get whatever results I had in mind. If you weigh daily, you're never gonna get a completely shocking result.

I am kinda intrigued by the idea of going a whole summer, though. Like, by the time you got on the scale, you'd already have information about what had happened, ie, how well you stuck to your plan, how your clothes feel and what you look like naked, etc. But I'd have to really work on my head to make sure I kept in perspective the fact that the actual scale weight is not nearly as important as those other things. I don't think I'm ready for that big of a leap. Plus, I think I'd miss that little perk of seeing a pound gone every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
I started on February 22, and just today I hit the 50 pound mark, so 50 pounds in about 3 1/2 months.
Well that is freaking amazing! You're already one third of the way there! Gonna tell us your secret???

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
You ALL are inspiring and worthy of more kudos and congratulations than you will ever know!
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
More details.... please.... that is just amazing....
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Who said anything about being a failure? I was gaining an average of 10 pounds a year before returning to low carb. My weight loss this time was much slower (but healthier and more sustainable, I think). Lost 30 pounds to goal weight in 6 months.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Well that is freaking amazing! You're already one third of the way there! Gonna tell us your secret???
Thank you! I stick as much as possible to the Atkins 72 Induction. That's it. LOL. Except for the few days before TOM each month, it's been pretty easy and I'm just very thankful that my body is responding so well.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
30 pounds, and it took me 5 months.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
January 11th of this year I started Atkins Induction. I am still on induction but have modified it with JUDDD and IF and I really eat mostly paleo. I have lost around 58 pounds maybe a tiny bit more. Most was lost in the early days and I didn't weigh myself to get a starting weight for around the first 3 weeks. I use the number I got at that weigh in for my start weight. I stalled for a couple of months but have started seeing more small losses as of late.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! You all are fantastic and such an inspiration.
Wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Rubidoux wrote this:"Another reason that I weigh daily is that I can't handle more than a little disappointment at a time. If I was a weekly or monthly weigher, I would be much more focused on getting myself to weigh-in day and I think I'd be much more disappointed if I didn't get whatever results I had in mind. If you weigh daily, you're never gonna get a completely shocking result. "

Totally !!!! This is how I approach the scale, too!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
It took me a little over a year to lose 100 lbs. I've stalled out here, thanks to needing so few calories now to keep losing. It's hard for me to stay at the calorie level I need to now. But at least I've managed to maintain.

I weigh weekly, because I need the accountability. If I didn't weigh, it would be too easy to justify extra calories.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I started on Atkins December 31st 2011 - with a goal weight of 135 - which I reach mid-September 2012 and went into maintenance - in maintenance I have naturally drifted down to 118. So I went from 176 to 118 and a size 16 to a size 4 and have never felt better in my life!!
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote