Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: voldalin
How often do you cheat, and does it effect your weight loss?

How often do you cheat, and does it effect your weight loss?
voldalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Maybe twice a year. No, because it's extremely rare.

Also, when I do eat off-plan, I plan it ahead of time, it's for a very specific dish or meal, no more than that, and I get right back on plan immediately.

Last edited by Ntombi; 06-02-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I don't cheat- and yes, it has devastating effects.
A cheat meal will set you back several days-
and a cheat day will set you back a week or more.
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I quit smoking about 1.5 yrs ago and I don't 'cheat' for the same reasons that I don't 'cheat' on the way I eat. It would just be counter productive.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I don't cheat. I eat according to my plan and that's that.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I don't cheat- and yes, it has devastating effects.
A cheat meal will set you back several days-
and a cheat day will set you back a week or more.
So true.

I ate off plan on Thursday and I just finally got back into ketosis. My weight still is not as low as I was when I cheated on Thursday - so this is day 3 after the cheat and I am still trying to lose the gain from that one indiscretion.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
I have had two *planned* cheats since January. I know I will weigh at least 2 pounds more the next day and it may take a week before I start losing again. I never do a full day cheat......just a special meal. I was OK with that and prepared mentally for the consequences.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I should add, if you are planning a cheat, wait 2-3 months since it may derail you. It looks like you started in May and you need to see more weight lose before the cheat. Otherwise, you may just give up on this WOE and go back to carbs.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndiane View Post
I should add, if you are planning a cheat, wait 2-3 months since it may derail you. It looks like you started in May and you need to see more weight lose before the cheat. Otherwise, you may just give up on this WOE and go back to carbs.

Very true rndiane. I have cheated several times already due to mine and my girlfriends history of eating out and buying junk food like ice cream at the store. She has always been a bad influence on me. Both her ex husbands were extremely over weight. I use to be average weight and have gained 80 pounds living with her. Right now I feel like I am walking a high wire on the Atkins diet while she is shaking it making me fall off. I am already feeling discouraged.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, support is nice, but how you eat is ultimately your choice. If you're not ready to put your foot down and stop indulging, you won't lose weight. Period. If you're ready to do it, and take responsibility for yourself, you'll be successful, regardless of anyone else's influence.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Well, support is nice, but how you eat is ultimately your choice. If you're not ready to put your foot down and stop indulging, you won't lose weight. Period. If you're ready to do it, and take responsibility for yourself, you'll be successful, regardless of anyone else's influence.
Well, i do have the discipline if I don't have the distractions. I use to eat low fat and kept in shape. I seem to crumble when others are trying to get me to do stuff I don't want to do. I quess I need more willpower. Just the other night she kept trying to get me to try some blackberry jam and already had a teasppon of it pointing in my face trying to get me to take a bite. She has always been like that since I met her. It's like I have to tell her 10 times before she gets the message. It's almost like talking to a brick wall. Her ex husbands abused her and one of them always told her anything she fixed tasted like crap even though she is an excellent cook. So, She gets offended if I don't eat her food and even if i eat it she asked me like 6 or 7 times if it taste ok. It's completely nuts.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

You have to realize that it's her issue, and no amount of reassurance from you is going to turn it around unless she is ready to. Just like you won't say no until you're ready to.

It stinks that she's in your face with treats, but you still don't have to eat them. The more you give in on the 8th or 9th request, the more she'll keep offering the food multiple times. If you stand by your no, eventually she'll believe you mean it.

But you have to mean it.

I'm not unsympathetic, I have family members who constantly try to push food on me, but it's ultimately my responsibility to control what I put in my mouth, it's not my responsibility to pacify them by eating what they offer.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
one cheat will cost you a week.
if you can tell her no and keep it up youll have a will power of steel!
I cant imagine having food stuffed in my face, that really sucks. i hate when friendships have toxic sides. my husband is "supportive" but a huge enabler, so the second i have doubts and want a treat or a cigarette or whatever, he will have it right there for me in less than 10 minutes so its completely up to me to stay on plan
man, can you interest her in learning to cook amazing low carb stuff? if she is a great chef she might have fun making filet mingon with bearnaise or creative fun low carb meals...
good luck,
natalie
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Maybe twice a year. No, because it's extremely rare.

Also, when I do eat off-plan, I plan it ahead of time, it's for a very specific dish or meal, no more than that, and I get right back on plan immediately.
What she said. Not a cheat, but the once every year or so planned departure from plan, and then I get right back on the next meal. Thus, it has no appreciable affect on my weight loss after a few days when any bloating subsides.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I've had 2 Off plan meals since last yr. Once for our anniversary May 18th and 2 saturdays ago I had a double dip chocolate chunk mouse ice cream cone. Both So Not worth it! Took me a week to get the water weight off both times!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

You may want to ask yourself, " Why does she want to derail your diet efforts?". It sounds like she may have issues with food or insecurities within herself.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #17

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndiane View Post
You may want to ask yourself, " Why does she want to derail your diet efforts?". It sounds like she may have issues with food or insecurities within herself.
No doubt. I would not appreciate anyone literally pushing food in my face. You should have a sit down with her and hash out this issue. My husband will ask me, doesn't this tempt you?, but never pushes food in my face!
I still am around carbs all the time causevhe eats them, but I actually never eat off plan. I will have NYC pizza at some point before I die. But, every time I go there, I never want it badly enough. One day...
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Seems the issue is beyond treats. You're living w/someone who does not respect your choices. That's a problem. If you've told her you're trying to establish a LC woe, and she's still stabbing food in your face, she might as well be telling you to "shut up" about any weight loss plans. If she said this out right, you would be angry w/her. And she is saying it, albeit in a passive aggressive way. You are letting her get away with that.

Friendships and room mates don't work if one disrespects the other. Seems to me you're going to have to be very clear w/her. Very clear. Might not be comfortable for awhile, but if this friendship is going to last, you'll be doing both of you a favor by setting your boundaries firmly. As it is now chances are she resents you for trying to pull away from eating w/her, and you resent her for not hearing you. Not a good place to be. Although laying down the law w/her may seem difficult, it's not nearly as difficult as what you've accepted as the status quo---you say no, she says yes, she wins.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Off plan meals had not affected my weight loss but will knock you out of Ketosis if you are looking to eat that way continuously . There are plans that Dont require constant Ketosis. For some people, including off plan meals helps them stick to this woe. For some, it interferes. Depends on why you are choosing this woe and if your body needs it.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

The first time I cheated it was chicken alfredo. She said she was fixing me something I could eat on my diet. I was being nice because I thought it was sweet but I just felt like smacking myself on my forehead with my palm. She is not an idiot by any means. In fact she is very intelligent but with issues. Sometimes I do think she is trying to fatten me up. I already had that talk with my mom and she thinks so too. Just this past week, I have realized if I want this I'm going to have to really stay focused and disciplined. I am amazed you all are able to stick with it without fail. Just reading your comments has motivated me. I am diabetic and when i first started the Atkins diet it felt so good. I have felt sick for years but on low carb I felt like I was cured. I know this is what I need to do and will keep checking these forums for support.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would suggest that you do a lot of reading on the 'how and why' of low carb living. There are a ton of great books out there, not to mention the blogosphere and pod casts. The more you know, the more it makes sense and the more it becomes a natural way to eat. You will also develop techniques for avoiding food and situations that are uncomfortable and contrary to what you are trying to achieve. It is a bit of a journey but so worth while|!

Last edited by clackley; 06-03-2013 at 09:18 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Well I guess I'm in the minority here in the frequency of my higher carb meals. I have approximately one higher carb meal per week; sometimes that just means having potato or quinoa with my meal, other times it means full-on junk food like 2 slices of buffalo chicken pizza and a lemon bar for dessert (what I had for dinner Saturday, and so worth it!).

But it is not a cheat for me, it's part of my plan. I don't ban any foods 100% of the time, my rules aren't super strict. I figure if I am eating clean at least 80-90% of the time then I'm happy with that. If I were to ban my favorite foods forever, well then I would be a very unhappy girl and I need to be happy whilst doing this, otherwise I'm not going to do it. There have been some weeks here and there where I have eaten 100% clean for the entire week and I haven't lost any more weight that week or the week after. It stays quite steady all along.

Last edited by evas; 06-03-2013 at 11:32 AM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, if it's part of your plan, it's not a cheat, and it's not really addressing his question.

If you're not aiming to be in ketosis, it's not as big a deal anyway. If one is on a ketogenic diet, eating a higher carb meal fairly often is the kiss of death, because of the time it will set you back.

There are plenty of low to moderate carb plans where ketosis isn't the goal, and the occasional high carb meal wouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Quote:
Well, if it's part of your plan, it's not a cheat, and it's not really addressing his question.

If you're not aiming to be in ketosis, it's not as big a deal anyway. If one is on a ketogenic diet, eating a higher carb meal fairly often is the kiss of death, because of the time it will set you back.

There are plenty of low to moderate carb plans where ketosis isn't the goal, and the occasional high carb meal wouldn't be a problem.
But what I don't consider a cheat, almost everyone else here does. I have eaten 100% on plan before, but my weekly losses average out to about the same either way. It's not until I go on a binge or on a 3-4 day off plan that it actually sets me back. Luckily that hasn't happened in a while, yay!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #25

Gallery: Puppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
But what I don't consider a cheat, almost everyone else here does. I have eaten 100% on plan before, but my weekly losses average out to about the same either way. It's not until I go on a binge or on a 3-4 day off plan that it actually sets me back. Luckily that hasn't happened in a while, yay!
Nope, she said in her post that if it is on your plan then it is not a cheat.

As to the OP - I think your friend is a bad word. You have diabetes and felt great and she is pushing food on you. Would she encourage an alcoholic to drink and shove a cocktail in their hand? I think she is rude and has hang ups. Offering food is being nice but accept it when someone says no and back the heck off.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Voldalin, would it be possible o ask her to cook something locarb as she is such an amazing cook and that you feel the recipes for you to attempt are daunting ? That way you still put her in charge of the preparation,need her and you can compliment her on the new creations working as a team. This team work could also be something to stress.
Just a thought.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
Voldalin, would it be possible o ask her to cook something locarb as she is such an amazing cook and that you feel the recipes for you to attempt are daunting ? That way you still put her in charge of the preparation,need her and you can compliment her on the new creations working as a team. This team work could also be something to stress.
Just a thought.
I could do that but I think it would still end in disaster. She doesn't eat low carb so the interest just isn't there. It's easier for me to stop fixing meals together and fix my own meals to avoid the drama. I'm going to stick with the advice I got earlier and keep saying no until she knows I'm serious about being on a diet. Right now I quess I'm the biggest problem because I'm giving in and opening up the floodgates to her bad influence.

Last edited by voldalin; 06-03-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldalin View Post
Right now I quess I'm the biggest problem because I'm giving in and opening up the floodgates to her bad influence.
Yep.

But let's frame it a bit differently. Let's assume YOU can be your biggest solution, instead of being the "biggest problem." As much as I would find your friend's behavior irritating, it's not really worth the space here to talk about, because her behavior is out of your control.

Your behavior on the other hand...well, is it in your control, or isn't it? This is something you need to decide. Really, it's impossible for someone to be a "bad influence" w/out co-operation from the person they are trying to influence.

Do you want to co-operate w/her attempts to control you? Or do you want to make your own decisions? These are not rhetorical questions. They are questions to think long and hard about.

I'm rooting for you to have the confidence to set your own path, and anyone who's really a friend, will recognize and respect the strength of your convictions and back off. This is about a lot more than food in this relationship.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Is she a good friend to you?
If she is, your friendship can continue without eating together.

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

I don't want to make her out to be a bad person but she even admitted she is a bad influence on me. I don't think she really wants to control me. I just have to make her realize she isn't the only one living here and I like to do things differently. Most of the time she just argues every point with me, but, yes she is my friend and one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Most of the time she just thinks her way is always better and it drives me nuts. Believe me, I am swimming up stream but i will make it.