Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Has this ever happened to you? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805241-has-ever-happened-you.html)

Alexandra9 06-01-2013 06:05 PM

Has this ever happened to you?

Today I ate a fairly big breakfast and an average sized lunch. About 5 hours later I started sweating really badly - my face and my hands mostly. I felt like I was going to get sick and/or pass out and it hit me out of nowhere. Then, after a few minutes of sitting down, I felt fine again. About 15-20 minutes later, I got that same sick feeling again. The person I was with said my lips looked like they were starting to turn a blue-ish color and that my face got really white. I looked down at my hands and they looked incredibly pale as well. Assuming it was my blood sugar being off, I ate a cookie and drank some water. I felt fine for a while after that, but then I started feeling sick again. I ate some dinner but I'm still not feeling well. Has anyone else experienced this while low carbing? I've been doing induction for almost 2 weeks and this is the first time this has happened. It was a little alarming.

avid 06-01-2013 06:56 PM

I never had any symptoms like you describe from Low Carbing.
If I were you I would make a doctors appointment first thing tomorrow morning.
I hope you feel better soon.

cfine 06-01-2013 07:11 PM

I don't think LC would be the reason for these symptoms.

rubidoux 06-01-2013 07:18 PM

I think it's probably not related to your eating. I also don't think it sounds like low blood sugar, especially since it seemed to continue not long after the cookie. And two weeks into a new low carb regimen would not make sense for a first low blood sugar episode. It might make sense if it was your first day. But by two weeks in, your body should be excreting much less insulin than you were pre-LC, so you should be much less likely to have a low b/s.

Sweating can be a sign of low blood sugar, but the other things you mentioned are not normal low blood sugar symptoms.

Alexandra9 06-01-2013 07:45 PM

Okay, thank you for the input guys, and thank you avid! I guess I shouldn't have assumed it was the low carbing, but that's what popped into my head when this was happening since I couldn't explain it (clearly have not done my research). I think I will make a doctor's appointment because that just is not normal. I appreciate you guys taking the time to post and help me out!

ravenrose 06-01-2013 07:46 PM

I agree this is not the symptom of low blood sugar in my reading and experience.

Even if it were, a cookie is SUPER overkill. A vanilla wafer, which is a SMALL cookie, has 21 grams of carbs, 11 of which are sugar. You might want 2 or 3 grams of fairly fast acting carbs. A couple strawberries would be a good choice, in my book, at about 1 gram net carb each. Of course one doesn't always have them around!

5 raisins would have about 2 grams net of carbs. Those are pretty easy to keep around. chew them well!

It's important not to "reward" yourself with something you like, like a cookie. Make it something you don't especially like. Our brains are very tricky at trying to get us to eat carbs and especially sugar! This would be training yourself to feel that way again to get a cookie, even though it's on an unconscious level.

mcchimento 06-02-2013 06:27 AM

You might want to check your blood pressure. I feel like that when my pressure is acting up.

emel 06-02-2013 07:06 AM

It sounds like a toxicity to me.
Like food poisoning/intolerance, or a medication overdose or inadvertant exposure to a toxin or medication.

Another thing it could be would be something heart-related. I think it would be wise to see a doctor.

Jackie123 06-02-2013 07:42 AM

Gallbladder!!!! I had those exact same symptoms. It's a gallbladder attack, you might have gallstones. Not sure, I'm not a doctor or anything, but it sounds exactly like my early symptoms. Regardless, I'd get it checked out. Good luck!

Mistizoom 06-02-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16450838)
I agree this is not the symptom of low blood sugar in my reading and experience.

Even if it were, a cookie is SUPER overkill. A vanilla wafer, which is a SMALL cookie, has 21 grams of carbs, 11 of which are sugar. You might want 2 or 3 grams of fairly fast acting carbs. A couple strawberries would be a good choice, in my book, at about 1 gram net carb each. Of course one doesn't always have them around!

5 raisins would have about 2 grams net of carbs. Those are pretty easy to keep around. chew them well!

It's important not to "reward" yourself with something you like, like a cookie. Make it something you don't especially like. Our brains are very tricky at trying to get us to eat carbs and especially sugar! This would be training yourself to feel that way again to get a cookie, even though it's on an unconscious level.

I agree cookies are not the first choice for treating low blood sugar, but 8 Nilla wafers have 21 g carbs - not one wafer. One would only have about 3 g carbs. I don't think a single one would even weigh 21 g.

OP, I agree with the others, see a doctor.