Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
Sugar addiction

I met my goal in Dec and then some MAJOR life altering events caused me to self medicate with food again.

I'm up 16 pounds and climbing. I keep trying to get back on track and I swear I can't do it. I get to about day 4-6 and I cave. Even if the junk isn't in the house I will get in my car to go get my 'fix'. I NEED it.

I'm looking for strategies to beat this sugar/carb addiction and to analyze what I'm doing wrong.

I suspect I'm too focused on calories and I need to focus more on beating the addiction first which means fat lots and lots of fat. I'm just so upset with myself which of course isn't helping.

Thoughts?

I feel so weak.

Last edited by karenann33; 06-01-2013 at 12:15 PM..
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mobird
Karenann,

We just started a support thread/30 day challenge for sugar addicts who know exactly what you're going through and are trying yet again to gain control of the demon.

Join us there!

Anyone interesed in a Sugar-Free June?
Mobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I used to allow myself to overeat, on plan. Rather than one bite off plan. So, I had late night scrambled eggs many times.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I think it would be best, to just allow yourself to eat plenty of LCHF foods. In the past when I have had a hard time getting going with induction, this strategy works really well. I buy the lots of the things I really like, fresh burger, steaks, cheeses, precut lettuce and a couple tomatoes and avocados.

Then I eat every time I feel the slightest urge to eat ANYTHING that is off plan. I know that I am eating a LOT when I do this, BUT I get into ketosis good. I have also noticed a pattern, where if I have been off Atkins for a while, it takes about 4-5 weeks until my hunger levels really get reduced. So I eat according to how hungry I am and don't worry about the weight at first.

I'm not going to lose weight, if I feel so hungry that I am giving in to sugar/starch cravings anyway.

I beat myself up too, please figure out how to stop. You are fine. Personally I believe that it has a lot more to do with our bodies responses to sugars than it does with willpower. Food is a powerful drug!

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
in my book, sugar is just as addictive as

opium. perhaps, it is better not to analyze or think about it too much. get down to zero carb for a few days(as i did beginning today). Stay as close to zero as you need to, to get off the sugarmonkee. It is biochemical much more than psychological. Then gradually add back the good carbs (veggies and salads)and abstain from starches and sweets. Some of us just do not do well on moderate or even low starches and sweets, but must treat it as a true addiction like, booze, drugs, and tobacco. Best of luck to us all! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
If you're struggling to get back on plan & stay there, you might want to add l-glutamine &/or chromium supplements for a while. They help to kill and prevent cravings.

I strongly believe that there are some foods that should not be added back in. Ever. No matter what we weigh.

Coming to terms with that has been important to me. The foods I eliminated for fat-loss & better health are not healthy ones for most people. Realizing that they have no part in a healthy diet at any time is helping me to make my WOE a true lifestyle change. There is no sugar in my future. Ever. I'm fine with that.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I used to allow myself to overeat, on plan. Rather than one bite off plan. So, I had late night scrambled eggs many times.
I do that, too. If I'm having cravings or even head hunger that doesn't feel easily controlled, I'll just eat ad libitum of on plan foods, even in excess quantity, rather than stray to an off plan food. This has saved me so many times over the years and isn't a cheat at all, but a more healthful way of managing the current issue than completely caving (and dealing with subsequent difficulties in getting back on plan, which just plain stinks).
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote