Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   The scale showed me up 2 lbs today, and I don't give a rip. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805170-scale-showed-me-up-2-lbs-today-i-dont-give-rip.html)

Blue Skies 05-31-2013 09:14 PM

The scale showed me up 2 lbs today, and I don't give a rip.
 
Why? Because I know it's water weight. And I know that even though I had a few bites of the creme brulee my pals ordered at dinner out last night, that didn't knock me out of ketosis and suddenly put 2 pounds of fat on me, and it's not why I was up 2 pounds today.

I know that because for the very large part, I've been committed to this plan, and darn disciplined about it, despite the very occasional bite of this or that not on plan. I know that bad bounce up will go away, because I'm still here, on plan, and patience is the name of the game.

Last night I was reading in "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" that human weight can and often does fluctuate an average of 5 pounds from day to day due to water weight, AND that water weight can hold on and mask the loss of fat. I knew that, still it was fortuitous to read it again last night.

So when I saw a 2 pound weight gain this morning, I said to myself meh, and SHRUG. If I'm going to get on the scale every morning then I have to be responsible to the facts and not freak out or get discouraged when the scale tries to tell me I'm fatter. Because let's face it, that's what we all fear, after all our efforts.

But it's just not true, and the scale is too dumb to tell me exactly what's going on. Maybe it's the hot dogs I ate, maybe it's that the earth was at a certain tilt, who the heck knows why. But I'll tell you one thing, when and if the scale goes up and it IS fat, I'm going to know exactly why, and at that point I can only hope I had a good time eating myself there. :)

So that's my story on the scale, and I'm sticking to it.

rubidoux 05-31-2013 09:32 PM

I'm happy the scale didn't mess w your resolve today. It took me a long time to get to where I could handle (for the most part, I'm not 100%) a crappy weigh-in. I have mostly weighed every day, though, bc I figure that weigh-in will have a lot more power if it represents a week or a month of hard work rather than a day.

Anyhow... the way I think about it is that I am gonna have bumps up in weight on this journey and I need to get through those days feeling good and staying on plan if I'm gonna be able to get to the days where the scale has better news.

It does require a ton of patience. I think that may be the single most important tool in my arsenal.

Ntombi 05-31-2013 09:32 PM

:high5:

One of the benefits to daily weighing for me is that I have learned how my body works when it comes to losing. Daily fluctuations are part of it, and I've learned to take it all in stride.

Also, I can eat the exact same thing, drink the same amount of water, and still have big fluctuations. I don't pay it any mind, nor do I blame a big jump (in either direction) on the food I ate the day before. It's all about building a foundation of good choices, day after day. You can't see the building emerge within a day, but after several weeks or months, it starts to take shape.

Blue Skies 05-31-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16449429)
I'm happy the scale didn't mess w your resolve today. It took me a long time to get to where I could handle (for the most part, I'm not 100%) a crappy weigh-in. I have mostly weighed every day, though, bc I figure that weigh-in will have a lot more power if it represents a week or a month of hard work rather than a day.

Anyhow... the way I think about it is that I am gonna have bumps up in weight on this journey and I need to get through those days feeling good and staying on plan if I'm gonna be able to get to the days where the scale has better news.

It does require a ton of patience. I think that may be the single most important tool in my arsenal.

Well girl, all I can say is I think your "arsenal" is pretty fierce, and you've got a sweet (and inspiring to me) success story to prove it.

Blue Skies 05-31-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16449430)
:high5:

One of the benefits to daily weighing for me is that I have learned how my body works when it comes to losing. Daily fluctuations are part of it, and I've learned to take it all in stride.

Also, I can eat the exact same thing, drink the same amount of water, and still have big fluctuations. I don't pay it any mind, nor do I blame a big jump (in either direction) on the food I ate the day before. It's all about building a foundation of good choices, day after day. You can't see the building emerge within a day, but after several weeks or months, it starts to take shape.

"I can eat the exact same thing, drink the same amount of water, and still have big fluctuations." Yep. Me too. You always seem like the pinnacle of common sense to me, very steady and knowledgable. And this is just one more example of that:

"You can't see the building emerge within a day, but after several weeks or months, it starts to take shape."

And hopefully what takes shape, amongst other things, is the idea that when we hang in there, we are rewarded. And there's enough bumps to steer around w/out giving the scale too much power, and by that I mean we always know more than it does.

rubidoux 05-31-2013 11:49 PM

Aww, you make me blush Blue Skies. :o

The last few days I have been thinking of the phrase "keep your eyes on the prize." For some reason I have always felt irritated by the use of it in a non-civil-rights-y context, but still... I think part of why I've been thinking about it is that my struggle in this context is giving me some understanding of its meaning in that context... But anyway, it's about struggling and persevering in the face of adversity and of course never letting yourself forget what you're fighting for, where you want to be in the end, not to get lost in the small battles. When I think about that, a crappy weigh-in has no power over me!

And if I'm feeling less sentimental.... I look at that crappy number on the scale and think... "honey badger don't care!" :rofl: and that whole honey badger thing really lifts my spirits.

Ntombi 06-01-2013 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16449469)
"I can eat the exact same thing, drink the same amount of water, and still have big fluctuations." Yep. Me too. You always seem like the pinnacle of common sense to me, very steady and knowledgable. And this is just one more example of that:

"You can't see the building emerge within a day, but after several weeks or months, it starts to take shape."

And hopefully what takes shape, amongst other things, is the idea that when we hang in there, we are rewarded. And there's enough bumps to steer around w/out giving the scale too much power, and by that I mean we always know more than it does.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I just uploaded my weight graph for a different thread, and I think it proves your point. I haven't changed one thing since I restarted in January, but my scale's downward progression has been...erratic, to say the least. I have lost inches, even when I haven't lost scale weight, but for some reason, the scale has begun to move again in a way it hasn't for months.

All I could do was keep doing what I was doing, knowing that it was working. Now it's showing the results of my perseverance. If it slows down again tomorrow (I hope not!), I'll have to keep plugging away regardless.

avid 06-01-2013 05:41 AM

What did the scale tell you this morning?

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16449505)
The last few days I have been thinking of the phrase "keep your eyes on the prize."

And if I'm feeling less sentimental.... I look at that crappy number on the scale and think... "honey badger don't care!" :rofl: and that whole honey badger thing really lifts my spirits.

I like that phrase too. When I think how many have struggled for such big things for so long, it inspires me knowing that the power of persistence beats almost everything. And OMG, I LOVE the honey badger thing too. Fierce is good when you've got a goal in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16449520)

All I could do was keep doing what I was doing, knowing that it was working. Now it's showing the results of my perseverance. If it slows down again tomorrow (I hope not!), I'll have to keep plugging away regardless.

This graph is SO cool, Ntombi. Thanks for posting it. This is what a graph of my weight loss would look similar to. I never just drop and stick, I bounce up and down and up and down, but overall, it goes down. And you know, that's pretty much what any graph would look like for any goal I've ever taken on, although in other instances I'm usually rooting for the thing to go UP. Only here do we celebrate down. :)



Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16449636)
What did the scale tell you this morning?

Just stepped off the scale as a matter of fact. Down a pound. As I said above, this is the way it goes for me, and in it's own erratic way, it's pretty consistent. Usually takes me a week to 2 weeks to hit a new number on the scale and STICK, whether it's a pound, or 3 pounds down.

I'm wondering how it works for everyone else out there. Who has to deal w/the bounce, and who gets clean drops?

halos 06-01-2013 08:04 AM

In the past I have had a 2 week cycle.
New low,
then several days bouncing,
then several pounds up
maintain high weight for 4-5 days
small drop
large drop to new low --whoosh

I used to be on the daily weigher thread and it showed me the pattern.

A few pounds up will pass if I stay the course.

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halos (Post 16449859)
In the past I have had a 2 week cycle.
New low,
then several days bouncing,
then several pounds up
maintain high weight for 4-5 days
small drop
large drop to new low --whoosh

I used to be on the daily weigher thread and it showed me the pattern.

A few pounds up will pass if I stay the course.

Wow halos, this describes my cycle to a T. Thanks for posting, it's good to have company on this bouncy path. :high5:

astribling 06-01-2013 08:42 AM

Love this thread! I needed to read this. Thanks all. I think I need to bookmark this and just read it a few times a week to reminding myself.

nolcjunk 06-01-2013 09:11 AM

To me, it sounds like the weight "gain" was from the extra sugary dessert carbs, and was not just a regular stay on plan daily fluctuation.

My daily weight fluctuations are mostly influenced by drinking alcohol, exercise, how late I eat, and salty foods. Higher carb/sugary foods can lead to a small gain the next day but if the gain is around for a few days in a row then it's no longer water/carb up but has turned into real weight gain.

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16449994)
To me, it sounds like the weight "gain" was from the extra sugary dessert carbs, and was not just a regular stay on plan daily fluctuation.

My daily weight fluctuations are mostly influenced by drinking alcohol, exercise, how late I eat, and salty foods. Higher carb/sugary foods can lead to a small gain the next day but if the gain is around for a few days in a row then it's no longer water/carb up but has turned into real weight gain.

I respectfully disagree when it comes to my body. I have had gains after perfect low carb and low calorie days. And I have had whooshes after treat nights. And, as said above, for many of us this is the pattern of how we lose. One CAN hang on to the water weight for several days before a whoosh. Phinney and Voleck talk about this syndrome in their book---in fact they talk about up to a week or more, and then whoosh, and they talk about the masking effect of water weight while fat is decreasing.

Which is not to say that my weight fluctuations are not influenced by the things you list to some degree. But overall, no, 4 bites of creme brulee does not equal 2 pounds of "real" weight gain. The salt is probably the biggest culprit, but then on a LC diet one is also often worried about not getting enough salt.

nolcjunk 06-01-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16450031)

Which is not to say that my weight fluctuations are not influenced by the things you list to some degree. But overall, no, 4 bites of creme brulee does not equal 2 pounds of "real" weight gain. The salt is probably the biggest culprit, but then on a LC diet one is also often worried about not getting enough salt.

Oh yes definitely not real weight gain. I just meant a gain from more carbs than you usually eat. I had sweet wine the other day and that resulted in a three pound gain on the scale for me, so that's what I mean by a gain from carbs not a daily fluctuation for me.

That is really interesting that you sometimes lose on the scale after going off plan. Any specific foods?

cfine 06-01-2013 10:35 AM

Blue Skies, my weight fluctuates exactly like yours. I don't give it much thought. As long as I am losing weight consistently throughout the month that is all I care about. I lost 4.3 lbs in May.

avid 06-01-2013 07:00 PM

I suppose everyone has fluctuations to one extent or another.
Mine are usually pretty small. I may go up or down 1/2 pound or so, but
if it's more than that it's probably not a fluctuation but an actual gain.
The only exception to that is that sometimes when I first record a loss of over a pound, the next day or two may show a rise to near my previous weight. If I stay on plan though I'll settle down to the new lower weight and that is my new set point.
Usually.....

rubidoux 06-01-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16450785)
I suppose everyone has fluctuations to one extent or another.
Mine are usually pretty small. I may go up or down 1/2 pound or so, but
if it's more than that it's probably not a fluctuation but an actual gain.
The only exception to that is that sometimes when I first record a loss of over a pound, the next day or two may show a rise to near my previous weight. If I stay on plan though I'll settle down to the new lower weight and that is my new set point.
Usually.....

My experience has been very similar, including the bounce up after a new low weight. I have been surprised a couple of times, though.

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16450095)
Oh yes definitely not real weight gain. I just meant a gain from more carbs than you usually eat. I had sweet wine the other day and that resulted in a three pound gain on the scale for me, so that's what I mean by a gain from carbs not a daily fluctuation for me.

That is really interesting that you sometimes lose on the scale after going off plan. Any specific foods?

When I refer to a "treat night" it means I've had one or two things off plan, not a carb extravaganza. A good example of a night like this was our anniversary. Hubby and I met friends at a steak house. I made good LC choices, but knew I was going to have a piece of their incredible garlic bread, which is a big piece, and share a creme brulee for dessert. As you can see, creme brle is a soft spot for me. When I plan on these treats I'm careful to make the rest of the day no carb.

The next morning I had the biggest whoosh I've ever had. 5 pounds. That's not the only time it's happened, but since I don't have a lot of treat nights I can't say it's happened often, nor do I plan on it happening---I simply allow myself those nights now and then or I wouldn't stick to my plan the other 98% of the time.

I don't think it's a matter of any specific foods, and I may have just been due that whoosh on my body's schedule. But it's like I said, for me, a treat night does not mean disaster for me, anymore than a great and perfect LC day guarantees I won't see the scale bump up the next day. And actually, I've seen the scale bump up much more often after a great LC day, than a treat day, simply because I have many, many more days on plan than I allow treats.

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16450785)
I suppose everyone has fluctuations to one extent or another.Mine are usually pretty small. I may go up or down 1/2 pound or so, but if it's more than that it's probably not a fluctuation but an actual gain.
The only exception to that is that sometimes when I first record a loss of over a pound, the next day or two may show a rise to near my previous weight. If I stay on plan though I'll settle down to the new lower weight and that is my new set point.
Usually.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16450789)
My experience has been very similar, including the bounce up after a new low weight. I have been surprised a couple of times, though.

So we have the drop and stick people, for the better part, and the bouncers. If you're a drop and stick person, then I can see why a 2 or 3 pound gain would be alarming---because it would be out of the norm for you. But if you're a bouncer, like myself and others here, you have to learn to live w/that. I honestly don't believe there's any tweak that's going to change that for me.

In fact, I've lost weight in the past on low fat and exercise programs. And I bounced my way up and down to DOWN w/those too.

I guess I wrote this post for a couple of reasons. One was to balance scale freak out with the idea that some of us are just going to have to live w/the way we lose weight---which isn't as clean and immediately satisfying as others. And another was to say, for the probably millionth time here, that YMMV.

And as great as it is to read other's experiences and successes, we must remember that all the tweaking in the world may not change our machines and the way they operate---at least in any way we can maintain and live with.

Frankly, If I freaked out about every gain, despite my on plan discipline, and went willy nilly crazy, cutting out yet more things I enjoy, just so I could maybe be a drop and stick person when I have plenty of evidence I'm not one of those, well then, I just wouldn't stick with this at all.

And, learning just how our individual system operates, and accepting it, may be the most important thing we do when trying to create our own successful plan. We cannot set up our expectations on the experiences of others, although we can learn a lot reading everything. In the end, we really are alone w/our woe. We have to brave it through, by trial and error. And once we understand how we work, it really doesn't matter how others work.

Ntombi 06-01-2013 08:36 PM

Right. I'm never going to be a same weight person. In the five months since my restart, I've had maybe a handful of times when I weighed the same thing two days in a row. That's not how my body works. So for me to expect something like avid's or even halos' pattern is doing myself a disservice.

Blue Skies 06-01-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16450874)
Right. I'm never going to be a same weight person. In the five months since my restart, I've had maybe a handful of times when I weighed the same thing two days in a row. That's not how my body works. So for me to expect something like avid's or even halos' pattern is doing myself a disservice.

:shake: I really like the words you used here, Ntombi---"doing myself a disservice." And again, in my sometimes frank manner, I see people do that to themselves here every day. I see people so desperate for the scale to cooperate that they are willing to do anything, including many things I just know they won't be able to live w/over the long term.

There are just no short cuts to losing a lot of weight and maintaining it, no matter the woe you choose. It takes work, commitment AND forgiveness of ourselves when we don't perform perfectly. It's not about our stomachs or our appetites, or how many carbs are in this or that. It's about our brains, our humility, our desires, our comfort, and well, I could just go on and on.

It's a real challenge, one the scale doesn't know a thing about. Only we know that.

avid 06-02-2013 05:44 AM

:goodpost:

No, actually it's a great post.
thank you.

AnnetteW 06-02-2013 06:12 AM

We also have to remember our weight changes with the quantity of food in our gut.

I ate totally on plan yesterday, but a larger quantity of veggies with my dinner, and a low carb dessert added "mass" to my system. So I was up a pound. That doesn't mean I gained a pound, it's just still in my body.

I will admit I don't like it, so I'll keep the quantity lower today.

Last week I weighed the exact same thing for 5 days in a row, then had a nice little whoosh, then up this morning. Then I'll get back to that new low in a day or so....stick there for a few days (or 5...lol) and have another small whoosh. That's my cycle. And with my body fat scale, I can often see a drop in bodyfat the day before the whoosh happens. It's quite interesting to be so anal at times.

cfine 06-02-2013 07:36 AM

I agree with Avid! :goodpost: Blue Skies!

I wish more people would be a little kinder to themselves. It's a marathon, not a sprint!!

Rhubarb 06-02-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16451208)
I agree with Avid! :goodpost: Blue Skies!

I wish more people would be a little kinder to themselves. It's a marathon, not a sprint!!

I was a lose and stick person through most of my weight lose but ever since I got within 10 pounds of my goal weight I've been a bouncer. It came down but with the ball bouncing down the stairs pattern.

This is a big test for me, not getting panicked when the scale goes up a few pounds. In the past that bugged me so much that I stopped weighing for years and just used my clothes to determine if I was on track. But on this diet I've been trying to face my fears a bit more and get used to this idea that weight is not a static thing (thanks to this board, by the way.) And slowly but surely I seem to be calming down and taking the daily fluctuations more in stride. It helps to weigh every day so that I can see that there is often no rhyme or reason for a couple of pounds of gain or loss.

If anyone's having trouble with this concept I would recommend reading the JUDD board which is very interesting on this subject. That regime features some pretty dramatic bouncing up and down, but the adherents are very philosophical about it, especially when they are at goal or close to it. I found it quite inspiring and their attitude helped me adjust to the idea that if I bounce up for a day or two, if I stick with what I know, it will come back down again. And so it has. (So far --- fingers crossed.)

Blue Skies 06-02-2013 08:56 AM

Just checking in to say I dropped 2 lbs this am, combined w/the one I dropped yesterday for a total of 3 lbs down since my 2 lbs up, and the reward of seeing a brand new number. And all this happened in 48 hours. So glad I didn't give up a minute of life freaking out about that 2 lb gain. :)

As Cfine says, it's a marathon, not a sprint. And one thing's for sure, it would be a lot harder w/out y'all. Support is another one of those very necessary ingredients on this journey.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.