Sailor Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Can you post what you've eaten each day and calorie counts, if available? Also, have you made any other changes, like started exercising?
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sailor Girl
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 28-May-2013
Well. The first few days I was ravenously hungry. I think it was because I was coming off a long weekend of overindulgence. So I ate. But just ate LCHF.
Breakfast was ham and egg cups (scrambled eggs with cheese and green onions baked in a ham cup in a muffin tin)
Lunch every day was a big chef salad with LC ranch dressing - ham, salami, hard boiled egg, and cheese
Snacks were pistachios (too many I'm sure), cut up ring bologna and summer sausage, hard cheddar and lots of roasted veggies - broccoli and kale.
I'm not a big dinner person. Most nights it's a hard boiled egg and a few chunks of cheese but last night I had a hamburger patty with a fried egg and slice of cheese on top.

No idea about the calories. Holy cow I'm sure it's a ton. But one of the reasons I wanted to try LCHF is because calorie counting has never worked we'll for me (to be fair, I never worked well with calorie counting)...

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Definitely sounds low carb. Not sure about the high fat as much...have you entered your food into an online tracker? Also it seems you are eating a lot of cold cuts/processed meats. Those could be making you retain water. You might also want to avoid nuts for a couple of weeks, as you've found it is easy to overeat them and they are high calorie and not necessarily very low carb. Once you get more into the LC groove you can add some back in reasonable amounts. I eat about 1 oz. of nuts (usually almonds) or peanuts several days a week.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I agree high sodium - I'll bet it's water weight. I have to stay away from processed meats and cheese - even though they are low carb they cause weight gain for me, too.

Last edited by Casey; 05-31-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank you! Yes. No more pistachios! I can eat them like popcorn
Next week I will put chicken on my salads. And I need to get more coconut oil in. I used to put a big scoop into my oatmeal each morning. Now I will have to add to my coffee. I use it for cooking a lot too.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you are not getting the results you think you should be, it is a good,idea to use a food tracker, weigh and measure all your food and see what you are actually consuming.

Btw, LOVE the doggie avi!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
LCHF should also be only moderate protein. I am 5'4, large boned female. I don't go over 100 grams of protein per day, have to stay at around 15 net carbs, and add in fat t every meal. The best way for me to stay so low in carbs is to eat veggies at only one meal. The other two are basically protein and fat. Here's a typical day for me and probably most here who do HF/LC:
B-two eggs fried in butter, two slices turkey bacon-24 grams protein, 1nc
L-5oz. Chicken cooked in olive oil, homemade honey mustard(veganaise, Mustard, and xylitol honey)-40 grams protein, 0 nc
D-4oz. Salmon dipped in butter, 1cup broccoli-24 grams protein, 4nc
S-juice of two lemons to go into my water-4nc

Hope this helps. I have found that eating less veggies takes my hunger away.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I would say at first be very carful to keep your carb and protein grams to whatever level you set (mine are approx 15 g carb/under 60 g protein), then eat all the fat you want. The more fat you eat, the sooner you will start feeling invincible. At some point you may want to limit the fat to a reasonable level, but I think some people don't ever have to pay attention to it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Cheese can be a problem for a lot of people, too.
You don't say your portion sizes, but it's easy to overeat things like cheese and nuts.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Since you are only on day 4 I wouldn't worry. Get the carbs out and adjust to the new foods. If your appetite doesn't adjust after a few weeks you can work on portion size.

Low carb is a big lifestyle change. I would take it in small steps. Let your body adjust, and your mind. My weight will bounce 3-4 pounds and in a few days hit a new low. Don't panic. Some of the starving feeling is probably from your body wanting the sugar/carbs it is used to. hang in there. You can do it.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by halos View Post
Since you are only on day 4 I wouldn't worry. Get the carbs out and adjust to the new foods. If your appetite doesn't adjust after a few weeks you can work on portion size.

Low carb is a big lifestyle change. I would take it in small steps. Let your body adjust, and your mind. My weight will bounce 3-4 pounds and in a few days hit a new low. Don't panic. Some of the starving feeling is probably from your body wanting the sugar/carbs it is used to. hang in there. You can do it.
THIS^^^^^^^! I too am a fan of a gentler approach. Get used to what LC foods work for you, try new recipes, find the variety in this woe as boredom w/what you're eating can spell trouble.

Don't worry about calories so much, although you know when you're over eating something, and it's wise to stop that. I did LC for 2 months before I added a calorie count to the carb count on my food log, and the carb ct is still my priority.

It can be overwhelming when you try to take it all on at once, watching and wondering about everything you eat. For me the motivation is the process, the more I learn, the more I adjust and tweak, the better I do. All in good time. Patience and persistence are the two most important "ingredients."

Just keep going, and one of these fine days you'll notice your pants are loser, you can wear a top you haven't worn in a while, and eventually the scale agrees---you are losing weight!
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Patience and persistence are the two most important "ingredients."
And bacon. Don't forget bacon.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Respectfully, it looks like you're grabbing LC foods and hoping for the best.
I'd suggest picking a plan and sticking to it for a week or two, then tweak it.

For example, Atkins Induction will tell you to eliminate the nuts, limit cheeses to 4 oz, and use real meat instead of processed stuff like bologna/sausage/salami--- you can have some as a taste treat, but it's better to choose cleaner proteins, in my opinion.

Or you could look at macronutrients like the nutritional ketosis folks do, but you say you don't want to overanalyze the math, and I don't blame you.

How about aiming for 10 oz protein food, or however much your plan calls for, per day (chicken thighs, eggs, nice fatty steak), then a small salad or a cup of cooked veggies with one meal and just a couple bites of crunchy peppers and celery for another meal, and then plenty of fats/oils---- olive oil on your veggies/salad, butter for cooking the eggs, up to 4 oz of cheese, and maybe a little cream in coffee or in a recipe.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
Dottie Darling

"" Cheese can be a problem for a lot of people, too.
You don't say your portion sizes, but it's easy to overeat things like cheese and nuts. ""

I love this dangerous combo.....Yep, way too easy to go overboard.

<< -- thats how much i eat
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
LC is a great way to lose weight and be free of counting calories, but is not magic. Cheese and nuts are two things I have a tendency of abusing. I also found I had to be careful of excessive veggies, even LC veggies. I never "count" calories, or carbs and adamantly refuse to start but I do stay aware of the general quantity of foods I eat and stick pretty closely to the induction approved list of choices. I learned to stick to the plan, eat enough to not experience excessive hunger, develop patience, and relax. This is not a "quick weight loss" process. It works over time. Also it is really not a "diet" but a new way of life. I have averaged 5 to 8 lbs per month for the last 5 months which is probably fairly typical.

I found it helpful to take 4 250mg magnesium tabs a day to help with elimination. Used to use bulk laxitives but this is so much easier and more effective for me. Without it my weigh-ins bounce around a lot, especially if I included much cheese in my daily routines.

You are new to the program so be sure to add some extra salt to avoid the "Atkins flu" symptoms. That can really kill resolve and is totally unnecessary. A cup or two of bullion soup a day will do wonders if you start to feel "under the weather". Don't worry about it causing you to retain water. Your concern is the fat, not the water.

250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Well, this is the "plan" I found that got me started trying this WOE. LCHF for Beginners | DietDoctor.com
I put plan in quotes because its very simple and the site doesn't have a ton of details.
I also just purchased a book called Kick Your Fat in the Nuts by TC Hale. I just started reading it but it seems to be right in line with LCHF.
For the last 2 days I've laid off the salt, processed meats, and way increased my water intake and not only did I get rid of those extra 3 lbs but I dropped 2 more!
I have also discovered that I LOVE cut up baby cucumbers in a creamy dressing. Olive oil mayo, vinegar, and Splenda beaten till creamy. Oh yum! And cukes are well known for helping to cleanse and get rid of water weight.
Again, thanks for the responses!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've been doing cukes too , , I picked up a recipe here: cuke sliced thin, mix with sour cream, a splash of vinegar and dill. I am kind of amazed that I can get two or three "snacks" from a single cuke.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Great news on dropping the weight! The Diet Doctor LCHF "plan" is pretty much what I've been doing as well, though I've not seen that site before. I don't count anything though I do track occassionally to have an idea what I am eating. I also try only to eat when hungry and not overeat. He doesn't specifically mentions beans or corn - those are both "vegetables that grow above ground", but I avoid them. Basically I eat from the Atkins Phase 2 (OWL) food list, and keep carbs low and fat high. You might check out that food list on the Atkins website if you feel you want some additional direction on appropriate foods. I also weigh daily and have a pretty good idea of how I am doing from day to day. It's working for me, and I don't intend to change unless I need to.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't consider corn or beans to be vegetables, with the exception of green beans, to be good induction veggies or veggies at all. I did a guick google and found out that corn is in fact fruit, vegetable and grain! (admittedly my search was of the quick and dirty sort) I think beans are complicated too. I'd consider green beans to be a vegetable but not many kinds of dried beans. No easy answers it seems!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I don't consider corn or beans to be vegetables, with the exception of green beans, to be good induction veggies or veggies at all. I did a guick google and found out that corn is in fact fruit, vegetable and grain! (admittedly my search was of the quick and dirty sort) I think beans are complicated too. I'd consider green beans to be a vegetable but not many kinds of dried beans. No easy answers it seems!
Botanically most things we think of as vegetables are actually fruits. True vegetables are ones that come from stalks, leaves, or roots of a plant. Anything from the flowering part, containing a seed (or that is a seed) is botanically a fruit. But most people refer fruits and vegetables based on culinary uses. Most people consider fresh corn on or off the cob to be a vegetable - though they understand it is a starchy vegetable. When you get to corn flour or products made with corn flour or masa, that more closely approaches a grain. Rhubarb is a vegetable, but most people use it like a fruit (adding lots of sugar along the way). Dried beans I agree, I don't think of them as vegetables but many do. For school lunches in the USA they are listed as vegetables. Dried beans are actually seeds, and thus (along with the pod they came in) are part of the bean plant's fruit.

ETA: For USA school lunches, beans and peas can be considered either a vegetable or a meat alternate, but not both at the same meal.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-02-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
I noticed , sodium and possibly cheese

Like Dottie said... some can't use much of it

Keep it up and it will come naturally
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
Whenever I restart my woe I always eat a lot of my on plan foods until my cravings subside and my appetite gets suppressed within a week. I do this because I'm typically ravenous when restarting my woe which is LCHF. IF I eat a lot of food it's too prevent from eating the wrong foods. I may gain a few pounds but it's mostly food and water weight then within in a week or so my body starts to stabilize and come down in weight. I highly doubt you have gained fat.
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote