LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txsgrl77
Stats: 161 start/145 current/ 125 goal
WOE: Atkins Induction phase
Start Date: 5-30-2013
Newbie Questions

Hoping one of you won't mind answering a few questions for me. I've done a lot of reading through these boards, trying to get some good info.

Have y'all found that during the induction phase of Atkins, exercising is counter productive to the weight loss?

Also, as a general rule, do you want a lot more fats than proteins in a day? Is there a ratio to follow for this? I understand the low carb counts for the first few weeks. It is so strange to try to make myself eat more fat. I guess society has programmed us to be the opposite...so this is just weird to me But, I'm going to give it a try!!

TIA for any responses!
txsgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
It is weird for all of us at first. We all have been educated to eat low fat too. I try to eat a high fat diet, but I started out slowly. I was coming from an almost no fat diet. I just choose meat that has a lot of fat. Highest fat ground beef, chicken thighs, rib eye steaks, eggs, etc.
I would not exercise during induction because you will already feel sick and really tired. I could barely get up to pee during induction.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Exercise or not, it's up to you. I would take it easy the first few days, though, because the beginning is when you might feel a little rough (induction flu--- it's sugar withdrawl).

Excess protein isn't great because the body reacts to the excess protein just like it does to carbs. However, I'd say eat to satisfaction for the first few days and don't worry about it. Then as your body adjusts to low carb, you'll discover that your appetite is naturally reduced. That's the time to start thinking about fat/protein.

when it is time to think about fat versus protein, shoot for about 70 up to 90 grams protein, 20 or fewer carbs, and then 80 or 90 or more grams of fat, depending on appetite. You might have to tweak that based on your own results. But like I said, for the first couple weeks, just stay with the allowed foods, keep your carbs under the allowed limit, drink your water, and don't go hungry. And prep out some foods---- make sure you have legal foods ready to eat--- cheese, leftover meat, boiled eggs, etc.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thanks !! appreciate the responses
Old 05-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Exercise- that depends. Are you already leading an active lifestyle? If so, you can probably keep exercising. If you are a total couch potato, then I would be careful. I wouldn't start a brand new exercise regimen along with a totally foreign eating plan. It's too much of a shock to the body, IMHO.

If you experience the "induction flu" Atkins says to up your carbs slightly by eating more vegetables. This will offset the symptoms and make you feel better. Others say to sip on some chicken broth. I guess it's the salt that makes you feel better.

As far as the fat goes, yes, surprisingly it is a high FAT diet moreso than a high protein diet. Apparently dietary fat cannot be turned into body fat, but excess protein can. There are some on here that will tell you to seek out fat- add it to your coffee, eat fat bombs, etc. I find that I can get plenty of fat with my normal food and I don't seek it out on purpose. But that's for you to decide. Many insist that eating all that fat helps curb their appetite and keeps them happy. To each his own.

Hope this helps!! Welcome and good luck!!!
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

thanks jmc305
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kimlou
Stats: 180/150/135.round ?
WOE: LC.. Atkins
Start Date: 5/29/13 .. round ?
[quote=emel;16448563]

Excess protein isn't great because the body reacts to the excess protein just like it does to carbs.
/quote]

I have LC for many years, and I did not realize this !!! But today I have saw it three times!!! TY for sharing it !

Last edited by kimlou; 06-02-2013 at 01:56 PM..
kimlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I think you need to decide for yourself about exercise depending on how you feel and as another poster said, how much you usually do. The collective wisdom on this board since I rejoined is that exercise is a good thing, but not necessary to lose weight. That's a generalization; some folks don't necessarily agree with it. Some say focus on strengthen training. This question generates a lot of discussion. However counter-intuitive I have been losing weight with only moderate day to day exercise such as walking and working in the yard. I do hope to increase activitiy a bit but it has not interfered with weight loss. My energy level varies quite a bit.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
[quote=kimlou;16451707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post

Excess protein isn't great because the body reacts to the excess protein just like it does to carbs.
/quote]

I have LC for many years, and I did not realize this !!! But today I have saw it three times!!! TY for sharing it !
There's a lot to it, and the actions are different between carbs and excess protein. But the result is the same--- too much protein can be converted to fat.

Here's a much clearer and more complete explanation, which I swiped from Fitness Trainer Maia Appleby. I left off the initial parts of digestion, such as chewing and bile. Apologies for my geekieness in posting this.

Quote:
What happens to the sugar:

It also goes directly into the blood stream, and several different organs take the sugar they need as it passes by.

Some is stored in the liver as glycogen.

Whatever is left is converted to fat and stored in fat cells with the excess fat above.

What happens to the fat:

First, it goes into the blood stream and travels to the liver.

The liver burns some of the fat, converts some to other substances (one is cholesterol) and sends the rest to fat cells, where they wait until they are needed.

What happens to the protein:

It is broken down into building blocks known as peptides.

Then, it is further broken down and it becomes amino acids.

The amino acids are absorbed through the small intestine's lining and enter the blood stream.

From here, some of the amino acids build the body's protein stores.

Excess amino acids are converted to fats and sugars and follow the paths described above.

This is such a simple concept, but many people still believe that consuming lots and lots of protein will put muscle on their bones. Don't be fooled by this notion! Even excess protein turns to fat.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote