Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Pulled pork??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805136-pulled-pork.html)

Alexandra9 05-31-2013 09:17 AM

Pulled pork???

Hello :)

So we had a luncheon at work yesterday and a really good BBQ restaurant catered it. I ended up getting to take home a pretty good amount of the pulled pork since there was so much leftover, but I'm a little nervous to eat it. I have not put any of the sauce on it, so part of me would think it would be okay, but with no nutrition information I'm not so sure if I should keep it or just throw it out. I want to eat some for lunch today but I have no idea what a restaurant might cook it in... do you think there could/would be quite a bit of hidden carbs in it? An opinion would be appreciated :) Thanks.

TheSouthernPrincess 05-31-2013 09:43 AM

I would be pretty surprised if there is a lot of hidden carbs. It depends on the seasonings they used and if it had sugar in it. I would definitely avoid the sauce and use your own sf bbq sauce. I wouldn't count it as zero carb, but maybe 3-5 carbs/cup? That's just what I would do anyway :)

Alexandra9 05-31-2013 09:54 AM

Okay, thank you so much! :) I will eat some then cause that does make sense. It's honestly so good that it doesn't even need any sauce :)

emel 05-31-2013 09:58 AM

Here in coastal VA, pulled pork is slow-grilled/smoked after getting a dry rub of seasonings. Sometimes brown sugar is a component of the dry rub, but not always. Sometimes the meat is spritzed/marinated with apple juice or cider, but it isn't very much. And then it is basted with a vinegary concoction during cooking, which might also include sugars/carbs.

Most of the carbs come from the sauce, which is often loaded with brown sugar, molasses, and sometimes processed tomato (but around here it's vinegar/mustard-based, not tomato).

I'd count a serving as 3 to 5 carbs. I'd include it on a day where the rest of my plan consisted of familiar, clean foods, and then I'd check my weight carefully for the next couple of days.

Pulled pork freezes beautifully. Portion it into heavy ziplok bags. Squeeze as much air out as possible, then double-bag it if you plan on freezing it for a long while. I have some in my freezer right now. Good stuff.

ETA--- you could also rinse the pork in hot water. That would remove some, but not all, of the flavoring ingredients. Then add the flavor back in by drizzling vinegar mixed with a little sweetener, and maybe some mustard (dry or prepared), and spices like cumin, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, and salt.Texas Pete is the preferred hot sauce for pulled pork, not Tabasco. Frank's hot sauce is good on it, too. And slaw. white vinegar, sweetener, salt and pepper stirred together, then whisk in mayo. Add a dab of sour cream if it is too zippy. 2 T vinegar a pack or two of splenda, and then about 1/3 cup mayo.

Jannybunny 05-31-2013 10:07 AM

I eat pulled pork all the time. I just leave off the sauce

Karerose 05-31-2013 10:42 AM

Did you try checking out the restaurant's website? They may have the nutritional info there. If they do though and they don't list the sauce separately you still won't know what it really is. Still worth checking out though.

natural_born_texan 05-31-2013 10:44 AM

My guess is that it would be fine as long as it doesn't have sauce on it.

jmc305 05-31-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_born_texan (Post 16448591)
My guess is that it would be fine as long as it doesn't have sauce on it.

Ditto. Pulled pork is something I eat often. It's usually fine unless it's already sauced. Even if it was rubbed with a little brown sugar or had some vinegar added to it, I don't think it's enough to hurt you. I would eat it and not give it a second thought.

Strawberry 05-31-2013 06:58 PM

You could also just call the restaurant and ask what goes into their pulled pork, and ask them to read to you an ingredient list if they have a rub they put on it.

avid 05-31-2013 08:28 PM

Oh my....do I love pulled pork.
I've missed it. Maybe now that I'm moving into maintenance I can indulge once in awhile.
No doubt about it, the sauce, which is what makes it so divine is loaded with brown sugar and molasses. The carb count has got to be through the roof, but for an 'off plan' day, a pulled pork sandwich and a bottle of beer sounds pretty tempting.

Biochic 06-01-2013 05:25 AM

Isn't the pork cooked in a sauce? When I make it at home I cook the pork in a brown sugar and vinegar mixture. I have used Splenda brown sugar to cut carbs but now I just avoid it. I love pulled pork. If there is a way to make it that does not involve adding brown sugar that would be wonderful!

Vilya 06-01-2013 09:15 AM

Here's a fan-freaking-tastic pulled pork recipe from Linda Sue:

SLOW COOKER BARBECUE PORK - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

The hard part is not eating all of it at once! This is delicious.

emel 06-01-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biochic (Post 16449568)
Isn't the pork cooked in a sauce? When I make it at home I cook the pork in a brown sugar and vinegar mixture. I have used Splenda brown sugar to cut carbs but now I just avoid it. I love pulled pork. If there is a way to make it that does not involve adding brown sugar that would be wonderful!

2 c cider vinegar,or a mix of vinegars such as distilled or rice, but use at least some cider vinegar.
Tbl each of brown sugar, cayenne, and Texas Pete.
tsp each of salt and pepper. and a tsp of good molasses.

and then see if you want to put a little paprika, dry mustard, or cumin into it. Sometimes I do, usually I don't.
LEt it sit in the frig overnight to develop flavor.

As you can see, there's only a smidge of sweetener in there, so I don't worry about it much. I left it out one time and the sauce tasted flat.

This is my smoking sauce, not my sauce to use as dressing after the pork is on the plate. That one has more carbs, so I just do without it. Or sometimes I'll dilute Sauer's bbq sauce (2 carbs per tbl) with vinegar and a little sweetener for my sauce for the plate.

ETA oh and my husband always wants to spray diluted apple juice onto the meat as he cooks it, so I'll either have him make me a piece without it or I'll cut into the middle of the chunk of meat to get mine.

Biochic 06-01-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 16449881)

Ooh, thanks!!!

Biochic 06-01-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilya (Post 16449881)

Ooh, thanks!!!

Arctic_Mama 06-01-2013 06:38 PM

Our pulled pork here at the butcher and the local Polynesian place is just pork slow smoked with salt and pepper. No rubs unless you specially order them. Thus, it is essentially zero carb :)