Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Ketosis - Forcing Yourself When Not Hungry

Yeah, Im needy at the moment

On occasion I get well into ketosis and it stops my appitite. No biggie since thats a normal side effect. I just wondered if its recommended to force yourself to eat at least some minimal amount of calories, or just go with it and wait until your appitite returns, usually in a day or two for me.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I never force myself to eat. Except with my morning sickness.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I would never recommend "forcing" yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry.

Appetites ebb and flow. That's normal. Or it should be, anyway. I think it's much more unnatural to try to hit some arbitrary calorie number from some website or calculator, out of the fear that we're going to somehow damage ourselves by taking a break from food once in a while.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't force myself to eat, but when I do eat when I'm not hungry, I make sure it's protein. The other day, I wasn't hungry for most of the day, so when I did eat twice, I had a slice or two of bacon and a small portion of pot roast. I didn't get near the amount of protein my body needs for the day, but that's okay on occasion.

Part of me staying on plan is to eat regular meals. That's because I have a long history of skipping meals, which is unhealthy for me. That doesn't mean I need to eat a full meal, but I work hard not to allow myself back into the habit of going a whole day without food and then (maybe) eating at midnight. I have done that for years, and it's one of the signs that I'm not taking care of myself. It also exacerbates some other problems, like migraines and stomach issues.

Because of that, I have an agreement with myself that I'll eat something at least twice a day. It doesn't have to be a meal, and it doesn't have to be the best choice, it just has to be something on plan.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-30-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Don't force yourself just enjoy not needing to eat once in a while. This is the only WOE where I have forgotten to eat a meal and that's a first. I could never understand it when people would say, "I forgot to eat a meal". What??? How can you forget to eat. I was always starving at meal time.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I just go with it and enjoy it and only eat when I'm hungry.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I have done that.
There have been some occasions where it's 4 or 5 o'clock and I know I haven't eaten
since breakfast. I've made myself eat. Usually once I get started I realize i'm pretty hungry, but for some reason it doesn't hit till I actually start to eat.
Weird right?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I am not advocating skipping meals and then eating late at night; I can understand how that is a bad pattern if one were doing it regularly. But, I eat two meals a day and I am usually ready for those meals at around the same times of day so it doesn't come up very often. What I avoid is snacking, which in my opinion leads to eating at odd times of day, and extra unnecessary calories, because the food is in your fridge and it sounds good to you, and you think "Hmm, I am hungry, I could eat something." I think the availability of food, and thinking about what you could eat, often leads to a false sense of hunger. So, becoming comfortable with true hunger cues is a good thing to learn in weight loss.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
I just do what my body tells me, if I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Some weeks I'm ravenous in the morning and eat 4 eggs with cheese and 6 slices of bacon.... Sometimes I'll go a week without breakfast because I have no appetite...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I would never recommend "forcing" yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry.

Appetites ebb and flow. That's normal. Or it should be, anyway. I think it's much more unnatural to try to hit some arbitrary calorie number from some website or calculator, out of the fear that we're going to somehow damage ourselves by taking a break from food once in a while.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I have done that.
There have been some occasions where it's 4 or 5 o'clock and I know I haven't eaten
since breakfast. I've made myself eat. Usually once I get started I realize i'm pretty hungry, but for some reason it doesn't hit till I actually start to eat.
Weird right?
That happens to me too. That's one of the reasons I make myself take a couple of bites. Because I've spent decades skipping multiple meals, I don't always recognize signs of hunger if I haven't eaten that day. Sometimes taking a few bites is enough to "prime the pump, so to speak. If not, that's fine, and I've had a few bites of protein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I am not advocating skipping meals and then eating late at night; I can understand how that is a bad pattern if one were doing it regularly. But, I eat two meals a day and I am usually ready for those meals at around the same times of day so it doesn't come up very often. What I avoid is snacking, which in my opinion leads to eating at odd times of day, and extra unnecessary calories, because the food is in your fridge and it sounds good to you, and you think "Hmm, I am hungry, I could eat something." I think the availability of food, and thinking about what you could eat, often leads to a false sense of hunger. So, becoming comfortable with true hunger cues is a good thing to learn in weight loss.
Yes, there's a definite difference between bored hunger and hunger hunger.

I too typically eat two meals a day, that's what seems to come naturally, but I will snack if I'm hungry.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I think eat when you are hungry is the desired thing but depending on how broken your metabolism is it might be counterproductive. I would eat something be it a tsp of coconut oil or a hardboiled egg just enough so that your body does not get the idea that a famine has started . I just have the suspicion that my body is a lot more trigger happy after years of insulin overproduction and more likely to "work to rule" if it feels a what is perceived to be a famine coming on. Just a guess but to me worth the few calories. You will most likely will eat them any way when you get to your next meal.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 05-31-2013 at 04:31 AM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My experience is that hunger will return in fairly short order and therefore take advantage of the lack of appetite. After all, the idea is to use up stored body fat and that is a perfect opportunity that is easy.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
If your not hungry don't eat. Your apititte will return.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
No way, if I am not hungry I take advantage of it! lol
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Appetite has returned to normal which is sad. Sadder still is the weight gain even tho calorie intake was tiny. Guess I did go into starvation mode.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote