LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 319/305/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 1/2/14 for yet another time
To weigh or not to weigh

That is the question. I haven't hit the scale for quite a few weeks, I was becoming a little OCD with it. I decided to chuck them in the closet and maybe weigh in once a month. But do I really want to know? If the number isn't what I feel I deserve, I'm gonna be mad, even though I did lose my britches yesterday, thank goodness at home! So I KNOW the inches are leaving but I like to see the numbers going down too.

The last time I weighed, I was down 41. 50# is my next mini goal and I'm ready for it, but how ticked off will I be if I'm not there yet?

But just think on how much I can brag when I do make it to 50!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Tough call, I felt the same yesterday, temptation got the better of me and I looked. Wasn't impressed at first - 0.8lb loss in a week, but then I thought, well any loss is something, I may be carrying water and if I lose another 2lb next week - half in a stone in a month, I can't moan at that.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
You need to look at it as being what it is, not have a set idea in your mind about what number you expect or think you deserve.

If you want to weigh once a month, that's fine, but that gives you at least three more weeks to build up your expectations and set yourself up for possible disappointment. Weighing more often allows you to get used to seeing smaller increments. I would try to focus on changing your attitude toward the scale instead of viewing it as some sort of scary thing.

Some people weigh every day, some do a few times a week; I generally do once a week on the same day of the week. I think once a month could be okay, but really, it's kind of making that Mystery Number more powerful because you've been building up to it all month.

It's good to have goals to keep you motivated, but you have to accept that you may not reach a particular weight goal within a set amount of time. That doesn't mean you won't reach it. It just means you have to be patient and stick to your plan. The scale tells us how we're doing. Personally if the scale hadn't been moving slowly and steadily downward for me, I would have had no objective sense of my progress. Our eyes play tricks, clothing plays tricks, even tape measures can be a little "off" from where we measure and how loosely or tightly we are holding them to see those "inches lost without pounds lost". I'd work on trying to make the scale your ally, not your enemy.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
If you want to weigh yourself, but you're worried about getting derailed by the number then maybe you need to re-evaluate your relationship with the scale. It's not as all-important as you think! IMHO it's not the best tool to gauge our success (just the easiest).

Alas, that is easier said than done, and I have the same problem and go back and forth from weighing every day to then not stepping on for weeks at a time. I suppose most of the time I weigh every day but I don't like how my moods (and sometimes my decisions) are negatively affected if I don't like the number I see on the scale.

When I feel that it is starting to rule my mornings I will just decide not to weigh for a while. I'm in one of those stages now because I went all-in committing to whole foods only diet and I didn't want the scale to affect whether I stuck with it or not. I wanted to give myself a chance to evaluate how I actually FEEL on this type of diet, not just if it's helping me lose weight. At this point I haven't weighed in 3 weeks and I'm going to wait until next week to do it just to make it an even month. I've decided that ANY loss is a success in my book and hopefully I can keep that in mind if it's really small so I don't get too discouraged.

Last edited by evas; 05-30-2013 at 03:18 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote