Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Im So Cold! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805048-im-so-cold.html)

lilbeetle 05-29-2013 08:27 PM

Im So Cold!

Seriously, Im freezing!

I dont think Ive ever been so cold. The thermometer says its warm inside and Im sitting here huddled in a blanket. Ive noticed Ive been feeling cold over the last month, but this is rediculous. Is it because Im missing several pounds of insulation?

Nancypie11 05-29-2013 08:53 PM

I tend to be very cold too, isn't it a sign of hypothyroid?

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 09:09 PM

Maybe. I was freezing this winter too. I also developed Raynaud's syndrome (my fingers go numb and white when exposed to cold). I am seeing a doctor about it next week, and I'm also going to ask about subclinical hypothyroidism (my TSH was "normal" last week but on the very high end of normal).

ravenrose 05-29-2013 09:27 PM

I was very cold off and on when losing weight over the years. But when it got REALLY BAD I had thyroid testing and I was very hypothyroid. I felt like I had the flu most of the time--shivery cold and just wanted to curl up in the corner and sleep. I was also regaining weight no matter HOW low I kept my calories and carbs. The thyroid pills help, but not 100% of course. I would suggest getting tested, but my point is that most of the time coldness doesn't mean a serious condition like that. good luck!

lilbeetle 05-29-2013 11:35 PM

I was tested 3 weeks ago, I am so healthy as to be dangerous :D

Yes, Ive been getting close to Raynauds symptoms which Ive never had before. I got so cold earlier, I felt it from my finger tips to just past my elbows. I know enough about Anatomy and Physiology to know thats cold! I dont have flu like symptoms - I feel greast over all, just incrediably cold. I feel warm right now, but I just ate and I know there is a thermic reaction to food. maybe thats the answer...just keep eating ;)

Arctic_Mama 05-30-2013 01:29 AM

Weight loss does that, your body down regulates metabolism to more efficiently manage energy. It should lessen greatly with a higher calorie amount - but until you're maintaining I'd expect to keep feeling that way, unfortunately.

Punkin 05-30-2013 03:52 AM

How many calories a day are you eating? I find there is a sweet spot. Too low, and your body drops its temperature to save conserve energy so that it can live off less calories. I find I can only go as low as 1300 to 1500. Lower than that and I start getting cold.

SouthernBelle 05-30-2013 04:48 AM

Even when I was at a normal weight, I leaned toward the high end temp-wise, meaning I get hot rather easily. Since I've lost a bit, I get chilled every now and then with interior temps that I typically would have found comfortable before.

I'm not worried about it, but I do plan to have some blood tests run just for my personal satisfaction to see what if anything needs fixing up.

On a different note, I have a friend who went vegan a few months back in an effort to get to onederland, and she's cold even after spinning class. Now that, I consider genuine cause for concern. (She's upping her iron consumption now.)

Aleina 05-30-2013 04:50 AM

I am very cold resistant. For example I can go sailing in a thinnish jumper when everyone else gets out the ski jackets . However in this induction period I was sitting in front of the telly with a polar fleece over me ! It was not cold and it did not happen all the time. So,yes it seems to be to do with the body trying to preserve what it has got and reducing metabolic functions. I would have a look at your fat intake as well. I improved when I cut down protein which was too much and upped fat . Thinking about it it kind of makes sense .

princessmommy 05-30-2013 06:41 AM

Yep me too! But I Do have Hypothyroidism so i'm usually cold when everyone else is fine.

margame 05-30-2013 07:11 AM

try exercising. since i started exercising i don't get cold quite as often.

ravenrose 05-30-2013 09:36 AM

one thing to remember is that even though you are feeling the cold in your hands, it's because your core body temp has dropped and your body is pulling blood away from the extremities to keep it from dropping more. you need to wear insulating layers and then do a little exercise to get your temp up. the layers will keep the warmth in and hopefully you will get blood back to your hands and stop freezing! I know it's not fun to dress like that in summer, but do it anyway! LOL

as I type I am in a fleece top, heavy robe, and fingerless gloves, on top of velvet pants, socks and slippers!

nolcjunk 05-30-2013 09:43 AM

It's because you're missing all of that fat to insulate you. Same way that seals have lots of blubber to keep them warm in cold waters.

Being cold doesn't equal automatic hypothyroidism.

Look around - when most bigger people are hot and sweaty, thinner ones usually are just right temp wise.

lilbeetle 05-30-2013 05:41 PM

I live in NZ, so we are coming into winter here, and since I live in the coldest area, it is actually cold outside :) I work out most nights and one night even after that I was cold. My calorie intake was down a bit yesterday on normal - I got into ketosis so much I lost my hunger, but I forced myself to eat - even added in a fat bomb. On a normal day I eat between 1800-2200.

Today I am warmer, thank goodness. I expect yesterday was a case of the body adjusting, mostly a case of less internal insulation. For most of yesterday I was in my thermal top and Merino jersey, jeans, wool socks and slippers. I nearly, but resisted, breaking out the fingerless gloves :)

And maybe I will have other days where I sit on the fire with a blanket wrapped around me :) I assume it'll stabilise once I get to goal and maintain.

Thanks for the suggestions y'all.

flatferenghi 05-30-2013 06:42 PM

i am also hypothyroid. i take levithyroxin.

however, I only WISH I was cold. It's HOT AS HADES HERE! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

lisamt 05-30-2013 06:53 PM

When I was doing JUDDD, I would get cold on the very low calorie days. I think there's a thread or two on the JUDDD board about this phenomenon. I still had plenty of blubber on me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
Weight loss does that, your body down regulates metabolism to more efficiently manage energy. It should lessen greatly with a higher calorie amount - but until you're maintaining I'd expect to keep feeling that way, unfortunately.

This seems the most likely explanation. :)