LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2012
IBS flare up-----oh no!!

Will have been doing the new atkins for a year next month. One of the main benefits has been no IBS symptoms/flare ups. Last few days have been having some problems and today--- totally miserable. Don't understand why i am now having problems. Very frustrated and not sure what to do!!
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
I'm sorry you're having a flare up, but I'm glad to hear that this woe has helped your ibs. I have intermittent ibs issues as well and it gives me hope to hear that yours has improved.
Anonymousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Oh no! Have you made any recent changes to the foods you eat or supplements you take? Though that's one of the problems with IBS - you never really know when it's going to hit. Hope it improves soon.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Do you eat dairy? That's usually the first thing to cut out. Artificial sugars and coffee?

Have you been eating more of any of these?
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Have not eaten anything different than usual. Am deleting my coffee w/hwc this morning, but think that may really stress me out. lol!! Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I have had IBS since 1993! It's so miserable! Thankfully since starting LC it's gotten So much better. But yeah I do get bouts of it still. They are few and far between but I noticed if I eat a lot of salad I get the tummy aches and increased bathroom visits.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry to hear you are suffering. What helps me is to take a # of supplements (probiotics, magnesium and kombucha along with a nightly one of melatonin). Any change in diet (including water - for instance, when travelling) can bring on a bout. It seems like the gut flora is not totally resolved despite yrs. of low carb eating.

I have also learned that even minute amounts of wheat (such as in sausage and beer) can have a negative impact as well. Those 2 examples actually give me a stomach ache.

It is a tricky issue and there is a ton of info out there on gut health. Chris Kresser is one of my favorites in that regard.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Ouch, I have recently had the same problem, a flare up. I usually take probiotics and it gets better after a few days.

I have been religiously checking everything I eat for wheat/gluten, as clackley mentioned. For me it is a big cause. and thanks for mentioning the water thing, I use a pur filter and maybe it is time to change it! I hadn't thought of that.

And the coffee, I used to have to avoid coffee like the plague.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

No coffee or dairy today. I do take a substantial amount of vitamins and herbs daily which have magnesium in them. I do take melantonin at night. I have not been taking probiotics though and DH is picking up some of those for me today. I am thinking i use to drink a kombucha tea but will check that out also. Hopefully will just be a bump in the road.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Some herbs cause my IBS to flare up, but only after I've taken them for a while (ginger & turmeric). When I start to flare, coffee is too hard on my system so I switch to plain black tea, so that at least I'm not going through caffeine withdrawl and the IBS. Dairy has no effect either way for me, but grains and some kinds of fiber are bad. Unfortunately everybody's IBS seems to be rather different. Sometimes too much fat can cause upset and slide-through, but not a real flare.

I'm about a month away from my 2 year mark, and I've had much less IBS trouble since I started. I hope that you feel better soon and enjoy your great success.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
I have IBS too, and I have given up dairy due to a dairy allergy. Low Carb has helped, but I just had a flare up because I increased my CO intake. I don't have anywhere near the flares I used to though. I avoid gluten like the plague too because it causes major flares for me. Sadly, coffee seems to be causing some issues for me.

Hope you feel better soon!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the responses and well wishes. Always comforting to hear from others that have similiar issues. Just caught me by such surprise because i have been symptom free since starting this WOE. Have quite a bit of stress with work and daily life,and did have to take antibiotics and steroids this past winter as i had several respiratory inf and influenza. Maybe all together has caught up with my gut!! Slowly doing better and am being very careful with what i eat and drink.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Almost any veg or fruit will bring on symptoms for me. I think I just can't handle fiber. I've been eating an avocado most days lately and it does cause intestinal symptoms, but I've kinda chosen to just live w it. Wheat, otoh, pushes me over into real distress.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Almost any veg or fruit will bring on symptoms for me. I think I just can't handle fiber. I've been eating an avocado most days lately and it does cause intestinal symptoms, but I've kinda chosen to just live w it. Wheat, otoh, pushes me over into real distress.
Wow, that would be really challenging Rubidoux! I have just been doing so well for so long now since i have been doing this WOE that i have become spoiled.