Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   IBS flare up-----oh no!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805046-ibs-flare-up-oh-no.html)

debstin 05-29-2013 07:05 PM

IBS flare up-----oh no!!

Will have been doing the new atkins for a year next month. One of the main benefits has been no IBS symptoms/flare ups. Last few days have been having some problems and today--- totally miserable. Don't understand why i am now having problems. Very frustrated and not sure what to do!!

Anonymousity 05-29-2013 07:12 PM

I'm sorry you're having a flare up, but I'm glad to hear that this woe has helped your ibs. I have intermittent ibs issues as well and it gives me hope to hear that yours has improved.

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 07:13 PM

Oh no! Have you made any recent changes to the foods you eat or supplements you take? Though that's one of the problems with IBS - you never really know when it's going to hit. Hope it improves soon.

Erin57 05-29-2013 07:14 PM

Do you eat dairy? That's usually the first thing to cut out. Artificial sugars and coffee?

Have you been eating more of any of these?

debstin 05-30-2013 05:33 AM

Have not eaten anything different than usual. Am deleting my coffee w/hwc this morning, but think that may really stress me out. lol!! Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

princessmommy 05-30-2013 05:56 AM

I have had IBS since 1993! It's so miserable! Thankfully since starting LC it's gotten So much better. But yeah I do get bouts of it still. They are few and far between but I noticed if I eat a lot of salad I get the tummy aches and increased bathroom visits.

clackley 05-30-2013 06:29 AM

Sorry to hear you are suffering. What helps me is to take a # of supplements (probiotics, magnesium and kombucha along with a nightly one of melatonin). Any change in diet (including water - for instance, when travelling) can bring on a bout. It seems like the gut flora is not totally resolved despite yrs. of low carb eating.

I have also learned that even minute amounts of wheat (such as in sausage and beer) can have a negative impact as well. Those 2 examples actually give me a stomach ache.

It is a tricky issue and there is a ton of info out there on gut health. Chris Kresser is one of my favorites in that regard.

SweetMe678 05-30-2013 06:40 AM

Ouch, I have recently had the same problem, a flare up. I usually take probiotics and it gets better after a few days.

I have been religiously checking everything I eat for wheat/gluten, as clackley mentioned. For me it is a big cause. and thanks for mentioning the water thing, I use a pur filter and maybe it is time to change it! I hadn't thought of that.

And the coffee, I used to have to avoid coffee like the plague.

debstin 05-30-2013 01:45 PM

No coffee or dairy today. I do take a substantial amount of vitamins and herbs daily which have magnesium in them. I do take melantonin at night. I have not been taking probiotics though and DH is picking up some of those for me today. I am thinking i use to drink a kombucha tea but will check that out also. Hopefully will just be a bump in the road.

solarpluvia 05-30-2013 02:00 PM

Some herbs cause my IBS to flare up, but only after I've taken them for a while (ginger & turmeric). When I start to flare, coffee is too hard on my system so I switch to plain black tea, so that at least I'm not going through caffeine withdrawl and the IBS. Dairy has no effect either way for me, but grains and some kinds of fiber are bad. Unfortunately everybody's IBS seems to be rather different. Sometimes too much fat can cause upset and slide-through, but not a real flare.

I'm about a month away from my 2 year mark, and I've had much less IBS trouble since I started. I hope that you feel better soon and enjoy your great success.

LadyN 05-30-2013 08:59 PM

I have IBS too, and I have given up dairy due to a dairy allergy. Low Carb has helped, but I just had a flare up because I increased my CO intake. I don't have anywhere near the flares I used to though. I avoid gluten like the plague too because it causes major flares for me. Sadly, coffee seems to be causing some issues for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

debstin 05-31-2013 09:26 AM

Thank you for the responses and well wishes. Always comforting to hear from others that have similiar issues. Just caught me by such surprise because i have been symptom free since starting this WOE. Have quite a bit of stress with work and daily life,and did have to take antibiotics and steroids this past winter as i had several respiratory inf and influenza. Maybe all together has caught up with my gut!! Slowly doing better and am being very careful with what i eat and drink.

rubidoux 05-31-2013 02:49 PM

Almost any veg or fruit will bring on symptoms for me. I think I just can't handle fiber. I've been eating an avocado most days lately and it does cause intestinal symptoms, but I've kinda chosen to just live w it. Wheat, otoh, pushes me over into real distress.

debstin 05-31-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16449018)
Almost any veg or fruit will bring on symptoms for me. I think I just can't handle fiber. I've been eating an avocado most days lately and it does cause intestinal symptoms, but I've kinda chosen to just live w it. Wheat, otoh, pushes me over into real distress.

Wow, that would be really challenging Rubidoux! I have just been doing so well for so long now since i have been doing this WOE that i have become spoiled.