Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Zero Carb Jerky- two kinds! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/805038-zero-carb-jerky-two-kinds.html)

millergirl1976 05-29-2013 04:50 PM

Zero Carb Jerky- two kinds!

Walgreens has two types of jerky with zero carbs- one is beef snack bites, and the other is bacon jerky. Both are Nice brand, and both are absolutely delicious!

They are high in calories and fat, but perfect when you need something really satisfying, and truly 0 carb.

glennjones 05-29-2013 05:50 PM

I'm gonna look for this...thanks for sharing.

Jaded62 05-29-2013 05:53 PM

I LOVE the bacon jerky.

Just Beachy 05-29-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded62 (Post 16446164)
I LOVE the bacon jerky.

Me, too. I have to be really careful with the bacon jerky because I will eat the entire bag in one sitting.

:) Beachy

JKat 05-30-2013 02:57 AM

What r in the ingredients? I have not found any without sugar being the second ingredient or maltextrin

MsWoods 05-30-2013 11:46 AM

I agree it's probably not truly 0g carb. I always count things like that as at least 1g. But I've had the beef snack bites (and Dollar General has some that are similar in a red bag, not sure the brand). They are nice in a pinch but have too many calories for me. Not had the bacon jerky. I've had the Hormel Bacon Jerky Bits, they are great on salad. Say they are 0g carbs but I know it has some.

I'm so lucky that I have found locally some great Jerky that is only 40 calories and 1g carb per serving, 1oz. It's really really good and as pure as Jerky can be and I eat it all the time with no problems.

millergirl1976 05-30-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16447312)
I agree it's probably not truly 0g carb. I always count things like that as at least 1g. But I've had the beef snack bites (and Dollar General has some that are similar in a red bag, not sure the brand). They are nice in a pinch but have too many calories for me. Not had the bacon jerky. I've had the Hormel Bacon Jerky Bits, they are great on salad. Say they are 0g carbs but I know it has some.

I'm so lucky that I have found locally some great Jerky that is only 40 calories and 1g carb per serving, 1oz. It's really really good and as pure as Jerky can be and I eat it all the time with no problems.

Thats very true.

What brand is the 40 cal jerky?

I just got out my dehydrator, and have some beef marinating right now, so I can make my own again. It is always better that way.

MsWoods 05-30-2013 12:35 PM

The kind I get is called No Man's Land Beef Jerky. It's made in Oklahoma. You can have it shipped. It's pretty pricey, but I'll pay for quality. I'm lucky because I can get it locally since I'm not too far from where they make it.

Chuck41 05-31-2013 12:06 AM

I looked at some jerky in the store tonight. Was thinking, hungry, LC snack sounds good. They had a huge selection. I picked up one and read the nutrition panel. :eek: Wow was I suprised! Huge carbohydrate content! Got to looking at the others and was amazed at the differences. Ranged from moderately high carbs to absolutely rediculous. Hard for me to comprehend how they got that much sugar into it. All of their offerings were too carby for me. Some of that junk might as well be Twinkies or Snickers bars.

I will have to find a good LC variety or start smoking some myself. Can you make decent jerky from chicken? That's what I have the most of these days. :dunno:

auntiem59 05-31-2013 06:46 PM

Ostrim is a good LC choice. I think Netrition may sell it. :)

Girlieschmoo 05-31-2013 07:07 PM

Netrition also carries Dukan Diet Turkey Jerky...1 carb/serving; only ingredients are turkey, tamari, and a couple of spices.

Charski 05-31-2013 07:11 PM

Jerky USA sells some really good jerky that isn't full of sugar. Check the different flavors, they do vary in ingredients/carbs.

I've been making my own ground beef jerky. It's easier to chew (DH's dentist told him to quit eating regular jerky, too hard on his teeth!) and it's pretty dang good. I bought a jerky gun and just shoot it out in strips onto my dehydrator trays!

Chuck41 05-31-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16449317)
Jerky USA sells some really good jerky that isn't full of sugar. Check the different flavors, they do vary in ingredients/carbs.

I've been making my own ground beef jerky. It's easier to chew (DH's dentist told him to quit eating regular jerky, too hard on his teeth!) and it's pretty dang good. I bought a jerky gun and just shoot it out in strips onto my dehydrator trays!

A jerky gun! I had forgotten those things. I saw them at a Bass Pro Shops last year. Didn't get one because I didn't think of a need for it. Now I have one. Great idea that would be great for turning marginal cuts into jerky.

brimmy 05-31-2013 10:47 PM

Most jerky has sugar in it because without it during the drying process it can get pretty tough. I've made my own with very little sugar, and it turns out almost as hard as a rock. I think turkey jerky or ground jerky has a more chewable texture so the sugar content can be lower. I keep meaning to buy a jerky gun and try that.