LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Almonds v. other nuts

I eat walnuts, pretty much everyday.
I notice that the preferred nut here at LCF seems to be almonds.
I wonder why.
Is there something special about almonds that I'm not familiar with?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I like walnuts better, too.
They're both good for you.
A lot of people seem scared of their high caloric value, so they avoid them. I measure mine out and enjoy every bite. I love walnuts in a tossed salad.

In this chart, the first number is walnuts, second number is almonds

Quote:
Nutrient Walnuts* 1 oz. Almonds 1 oz.
Calories 185 163
Proteins 4.32 g 6.02 g
Carbs 3.89 g 6.14 g
Fats 18.49 g 14.01 g
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
For me, I just like almonds better. I lived in an area for a few years where, for extra money, my son harvested walnuts (the ones that fell from the trees in our pastures) and so have a bit of an 'allergy' to them
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I read something a couple of years ago about walnuts being high in GLA(?) or something like that was't particularly good. I believe I can find the book. Someone here might know what I am talking about and post before I search it out. Hasn't stopped me for eating english or black walnuts, I just like the taste of other nuts better. Hazelnuts are really good and I also like pecans. Truthfully, I never met a nut I didn't like.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Well, GLA is an omega 6 fatty acid. And it is good to keep your ratio of omega3's to omega 6's in balance. Since omega 3's are harder to get, some folks try to limit omega 6's.
However, GLA is a good essential fatty acid, the same as in evening primrose oil.
So again, I eat walnuts but I don't eat gobs of them. 1/4 cup walnuts has 9.5 g total omega 6's. 1/4 cup almonds has 4.36 g total omega 6's. If PUFA's/omega 6's freak you out, choose macadamias. There's 0.5mg omega 6's in 1/4 cup of them.

You want to make sure any nuts stay fresh. Omega 6's can go rancid and that makes them very not-good for you.

Mark Sisson has an extensive article on nuts. That's where I got the omega 6 content info. He says nuts as an occasional snack are fine and that the good outweighs the bad.
I look at walnuts as being better for me than a donut or something, so I let myself eat them. Each to his own, I guess.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
It may just be a preference. I read somewhere that walnuts were healthier, but of the two, I think almonds taste better.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I read something a couple of years ago about walnuts being high in GLA(?) or something like that was't particularly good. I believe I can find the book. Someone here might know what I am talking about and post before I search it out. Hasn't stopped me for eating english or black walnuts, I just like the taste of other nuts better. Hazelnuts are really good and I also like pecans. Truthfully, I never met a nut I didn't like.
Me too! My main nuts are pecans, brazil nuts, pine nuts, and almond. Almonds are less digestible and then to make me more full, but beyond that I like them all for different reasons and none are significantly better or worse regarding carbs. Brazil nuts are the most mineral dense and almonds a close second, but it's still negligible. I do try to select my food based on the trace elements they provide, though, and in the case of brazils the selenium is excellent.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I eat walnuts because they are the only nut I can buy here in the shell. It is easy for me to overeat snacking on nuts. They are high in calories. So by the time I crack them open and eat them, the full feeling catches up with me. Also walnuts are a bit more friendly for the low carb diet because they are higher in fat and lower in carbs compared to almonds.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
My favorite are macadamias not just for their high fat content, but for me they are very satisfying flavor wise. They've been a staple for my lc way of eating! I keep a can in the car in case I do't have time for lunch!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
I'm starting to love walnuts, after a lifetime of being...meh. I like them with shards of (real) parmesan cheese, (actual Parmigiano-Reggiano). Just a small amount of each, eaten in tiny bites really works well. The cheese makes the walnuts taste almost sweet; the flavors enhance each other. A really satisfying snack, I've found.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherBel View Post
I'm starting to love walnuts, after a lifetime of being...meh. I like them with shards of (real) parmesan cheese, (actual Parmigiano-Reggiano). Just a small amount of each, eaten in tiny bites really works well. The cheese makes the walnuts taste almost sweet; the flavors enhance each other. A really satisfying snack, I've found.
Thanks for that tip SherBel! I love walnuts and parmesan cheese on a salad, never thought of snacking on just the walnuts and parmesan. Trader Joes makes a great container of big shard parmesean that I usually have around for salads. I'm going to be trying this treat soon.

Also, I sometimes like to sautee my salad walnuts in butter and a splash of splenda---the slight sweet is a great contrast to the slight bitter in the walnuts, and imo, all nuts are totally yummy roasted. I think I'll do a batch of walnuts that way to snack on w/the parmesan.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherBel View Post
Thanks for that tip SherBel! I love walnuts and parmesan cheese on a salad, never thought of snacking on just the walnuts and parmesan. Trader Joes makes a great container of big shard parmesean that I usually have around for salads. I'm going to be trying this treat soon.

Also, I sometimes like to sautee my salad walnuts in butter and a splash of splenda---the slight sweet is a great contrast to the slight bitter in the walnuts, and imo, all nuts are totally yummy roasted. I think I'll do a batch of walnuts that way to snack on w/the parmesan.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts are destined for cheese pairings. I second them being delicious with salty and creamy cheeses, both!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I really like walnuts, but I can't snack on them the same way I can almonds. To me they have a bitter quality to them. If you soak them in salt water for a few hours then dry/dehydrate them the bitterness is removed and they taste a lot better, but I'm too lazy to do that. Almonds taste a lot better to me straight from the package. I like pretty much every nut except cashews.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Me too! My main nuts are pecans, brazil nuts, pine nuts, and almond. Almonds are less digestible and then to make me more full, but beyond that I like them all for different reasons and none are significantly better or worse regarding carbs. Brazil nuts are the most mineral dense and almonds a close second, but it's still negligible. I do try to select my food based on the trace elements they provide, though, and in the case of brazils the selenium is excellent.
I've heard you are only supposed to eat 1 Brazil nut a day to avoid selenium toxicity. I wonder if there's any truth to that?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I keep a bag of raw almonds in my car in case my errands take too long & I need a bite of something before I get home.

I have recently added walnuts & Brazil nuts to my shopping list & plan to make them a regular because they are a good source of magnesium. There seem to be several seeds & nuts (including almonds) that are good sources of magnesium.

I love walnuts & am happy to have a good reason to eat them. Almonds are OK but I admit I eat them more because they are healthy & convenient than that they taste good.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 05-29-2013 at 09:17 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I've heard you are only supposed to eat 1 Brazil nut a day to avoid selenium toxicity. I wonder if there's any truth to that?
The levels of selenium vary widely. Shelled nuts tend to be fairly low in selenium compared to fresh off the tree. Me and my children have five nuts each every day or two, and absolutely zero evidence of toxicity, even in the toddler. But we're pretty deficient in it, otherwise.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
The levels of selenium vary widely. Shelled nuts tend to be fairly low in selenium compared to fresh off the tree. Me and my children have five nuts each every day or two, and absolutely zero evidence of toxicity, even in the toddler. But we're pretty deficient in it, otherwise.
It is so annoying that foods lose so much nutritional value when packaged. I'm not talking about major processing, but just shelling and bagging some nuts. The deeper into food/health that I delve the more convinced I become that paleo/primal is the way to go.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Almonds are great! Ditto for pecans. My favorite is macadamia, though.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
My current favorite is pistachios. I have a bag of them in my desk at work- still in shells. Yum!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
So far I have not found a nut I didn't like. Almonds are relatively cheap and very available so they are more often found in my diet today. I grew up on pecans with two huge trees in our yard and spent many evenings cracking and shelling them in front of the tv while dreaming of the delicacies mom was going to make with them.

I have to highly restrict consumption of peanuts as they trigger fever blisters and acne with me. Most true nuts are not as bad on that issue as peanuts with almonds affecting me not at all. My wife seldom eats any nuts because they cause acne with her, but almonds seem to affect her the least and peanuts the most. She also reacts badly with walnuts and pecans.
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My DD has tree nut allergies, but she can eat almonds. Weird but glad because she can eat my cakes when I make them out of almond flour.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sailor Girl
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 28-May-2013
funny cfine... I am exactly the opposite. Almonds are the only nut I cant eat. I dont have a severe allergy I have whats called oral allergy syndrome... meaning, if I eat them my mouth, tongue, and throat gets tingly and itchy. its not very pleasant. But I also worry that allergies tend to get worse with each exposure, so I try to stay away from them all together.
My favorite is pistachios... I wont even buy them anymore. I have no control. I will eat an entire one pound bag like popcorn!
Sailor Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
My favorite are macadamias not just for their high fat content, but for me they are very satisfying flavor wise. They've been a staple for my lc way of eating! I keep a can in the car in case I do't have time for lunch!
I love them too but I can't seem to find macadamias around here right now...
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote