Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Almonds v. other nuts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/804986-almonds-v-other-nuts.html)

avid 05-29-2013 05:58 AM

Almonds v. other nuts
 
I eat walnuts, pretty much everyday.
I notice that the preferred nut here at LCF seems to be almonds.
I wonder why.
Is there something special about almonds that I'm not familiar with?

emel 05-29-2013 07:07 AM

I like walnuts better, too.
They're both good for you.
A lot of people seem scared of their high caloric value, so they avoid them. I measure mine out and enjoy every bite. I love walnuts in a tossed salad.

In this chart, the first number is walnuts, second number is almonds

Quote:

Nutrient Walnuts* 1 oz. Almonds 1 oz.
Calories 185 163
Proteins 4.32 g 6.02 g
Carbs 3.89 g 6.14 g
Fats 18.49 g 14.01 g


SweetMe678 05-29-2013 07:12 AM

For me, I just like almonds better. I lived in an area for a few years where, for extra money, my son harvested walnuts (the ones that fell from the trees in our pastures) and so have a bit of an 'allergy' to them :D

Patience 05-29-2013 07:42 AM

I read something a couple of years ago about walnuts being high in GLA(?) or something like that was't particularly good. I believe I can find the book. Someone here might know what I am talking about and post before I search it out. Hasn't stopped me for eating english or black walnuts, I just like the taste of other nuts better. Hazelnuts are really good and I also like pecans. Truthfully, I never met a nut I didn't like.

emel 05-29-2013 07:57 AM

Well, GLA is an omega 6 fatty acid. And it is good to keep your ratio of omega3's to omega 6's in balance. Since omega 3's are harder to get, some folks try to limit omega 6's.
However, GLA is a good essential fatty acid, the same as in evening primrose oil.
So again, I eat walnuts but I don't eat gobs of them. 1/4 cup walnuts has 9.5 g total omega 6's. 1/4 cup almonds has 4.36 g total omega 6's. If PUFA's/omega 6's freak you out, choose macadamias. There's 0.5mg omega 6's in 1/4 cup of them.

You want to make sure any nuts stay fresh. Omega 6's can go rancid and that makes them very not-good for you.

Mark Sisson has an extensive article on nuts. That's where I got the omega 6 content info. He says nuts as an occasional snack are fine and that the good outweighs the bad.
I look at walnuts as being better for me than a donut or something, so I let myself eat them. Each to his own, I guess.

natural_born_texan 05-29-2013 08:02 AM

It may just be a preference. I read somewhere that walnuts were healthier, but of the two, I think almonds taste better.

Arctic_Mama 05-29-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16445140)
I read something a couple of years ago about walnuts being high in GLA(?) or something like that was't particularly good. I believe I can find the book. Someone here might know what I am talking about and post before I search it out. Hasn't stopped me for eating english or black walnuts, I just like the taste of other nuts better. Hazelnuts are really good and I also like pecans. Truthfully, I never met a nut I didn't like.

Me too! My main nuts are pecans, brazil nuts, pine nuts, and almond. Almonds are less digestible and then to make me more full, but beyond that I like them all for different reasons and none are significantly better or worse regarding carbs. Brazil nuts are the most mineral dense and almonds a close second, but it's still negligible. I do try to select my food based on the trace elements they provide, though, and in the case of brazils the selenium is excellent.

Punkin 05-29-2013 09:50 AM

I eat walnuts because they are the only nut I can buy here in the shell. It is easy for me to overeat snacking on nuts. They are high in calories. So by the time I crack them open and eat them, the full feeling catches up with me. Also walnuts are a bit more friendly for the low carb diet because they are higher in fat and lower in carbs compared to almonds.

marieze 05-29-2013 10:32 AM

My favorite are macadamias not just for their high fat content, but for me they are very satisfying flavor wise. They've been a staple for my lc way of eating! I keep a can in the car in case I do't have time for lunch!

SherBel 05-29-2013 10:33 AM

I'm starting to love walnuts, after a lifetime of being...meh. I like them with shards of (real) parmesan cheese, (actual Parmigiano-Reggiano). Just a small amount of each, eaten in tiny bites really works well. The cheese makes the walnuts taste almost sweet; the flavors enhance each other. A really satisfying snack, I've found.

Blue Skies 05-29-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherBel (Post 16445432)
I'm starting to love walnuts, after a lifetime of being...meh. I like them with shards of (real) parmesan cheese, (actual Parmigiano-Reggiano). Just a small amount of each, eaten in tiny bites really works well. The cheese makes the walnuts taste almost sweet; the flavors enhance each other. A really satisfying snack, I've found.

Thanks for that tip SherBel! I love walnuts and parmesan cheese on a salad, never thought of snacking on just the walnuts and parmesan. Trader Joes makes a great container of big shard parmesean that I usually have around for salads. I'm going to be trying this treat soon.

Also, I sometimes like to sautee my salad walnuts in butter and a splash of splenda---the slight sweet is a great contrast to the slight bitter in the walnuts, and imo, all nuts are totally yummy roasted. I think I'll do a batch of walnuts that way to snack on w/the parmesan.

Blue Skies 05-29-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherBel (Post 16445432)
I'm starting to love walnuts, after a lifetime of being...meh. I like them with shards of (real) parmesan cheese, (actual Parmigiano-Reggiano). Just a small amount of each, eaten in tiny bites really works well. The cheese makes the walnuts taste almost sweet; the flavors enhance each other. A really satisfying snack, I've found.

Thanks for that tip SherBel! I love walnuts and parmesan cheese on a salad, never thought of snacking on just the walnuts and parmesan. Trader Joes makes a great container of big shard parmesean that I usually have around for salads. I'm going to be trying this treat soon.

Also, I sometimes like to sautee my salad walnuts in butter and a splash of splenda---the slight sweet is a great contrast to the slight bitter in the walnuts, and imo, all nuts are totally yummy roasted. I think I'll do a batch of walnuts that way to snack on w/the parmesan.

Arctic_Mama 05-29-2013 02:45 PM

Walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts are destined for cheese pairings. I second them being delicious with salty and creamy cheeses, both!

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 06:36 PM

I really like walnuts, but I can't snack on them the same way I can almonds. To me they have a bitter quality to them. If you soak them in salt water for a few hours then dry/dehydrate them the bitterness is removed and they taste a lot better, but I'm too lazy to do that. Almonds taste a lot better to me straight from the package. I like pretty much every nut except cashews.

Mistizoom 05-29-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16445329)
Me too! My main nuts are pecans, brazil nuts, pine nuts, and almond. Almonds are less digestible and then to make me more full, but beyond that I like them all for different reasons and none are significantly better or worse regarding carbs. Brazil nuts are the most mineral dense and almonds a close second, but it's still negligible. I do try to select my food based on the trace elements they provide, though, and in the case of brazils the selenium is excellent.

I've heard you are only supposed to eat 1 Brazil nut a day to avoid selenium toxicity. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

DiamondDeb 05-29-2013 08:10 PM

I keep a bag of raw almonds in my car in case my errands take too long & I need a bite of something before I get home.

I have recently added walnuts & Brazil nuts to my shopping list & plan to make them a regular because they are a good source of magnesium. There seem to be several seeds & nuts (including almonds) that are good sources of magnesium.

I love walnuts & am happy to have a good reason to eat them. Almonds are OK but I admit I eat them more because they are healthy & convenient than that they taste good.

Arctic_Mama 05-29-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16446214)
I've heard you are only supposed to eat 1 Brazil nut a day to avoid selenium toxicity. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

The levels of selenium vary widely. Shelled nuts tend to be fairly low in selenium compared to fresh off the tree. Me and my children have five nuts each every day or two, and absolutely zero evidence of toxicity, even in the toddler. But we're pretty deficient in it, otherwise.

avid 05-30-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16446420)
The levels of selenium vary widely. Shelled nuts tend to be fairly low in selenium compared to fresh off the tree. Me and my children have five nuts each every day or two, and absolutely zero evidence of toxicity, even in the toddler. But we're pretty deficient in it, otherwise.

It is so annoying that foods lose so much nutritional value when packaged. I'm not talking about major processing, but just shelling and bagging some nuts. The deeper into food/health that I delve the more convinced I become that paleo/primal is the way to go.

SugarFreeSheila 05-30-2013 10:48 AM

Almonds are great! Ditto for pecans. My favorite is macadamia, though. :)

millergirl1976 05-30-2013 11:14 AM

My current favorite is pistachios. I have a bag of them in my desk at work- still in shells. Yum!

Chuck41 05-30-2013 11:17 PM

So far I have not found a nut I didn't like. Almonds are relatively cheap and very available so they are more often found in my diet today. I grew up on pecans with two huge trees in our yard and spent many evenings cracking and shelling them in front of the tv while dreaming of the delicacies mom was going to make with them.

I have to highly restrict consumption of peanuts as they trigger fever blisters and acne with me. Most true nuts are not as bad on that issue as peanuts with almonds affecting me not at all. My wife seldom eats any nuts because they cause acne with her, but almonds seem to affect her the least and peanuts the most. She also reacts badly with walnuts and pecans.

cfine 05-31-2013 01:09 AM

My DD has tree nut allergies, but she can eat almonds. Weird but glad because she can eat my cakes when I make them out of almond flour.

Sailor Girl 05-31-2013 05:19 AM

funny cfine... I am exactly the opposite. Almonds are the only nut I cant eat. :confused: I dont have a severe allergy I have whats called oral allergy syndrome... meaning, if I eat them my mouth, tongue, and throat gets tingly and itchy. its not very pleasant. But I also worry that allergies tend to get worse with each exposure, so I try to stay away from them all together.
My favorite is pistachios... I wont even buy them anymore. I have no control. I will eat an entire one pound bag like popcorn! :o

Deb34 05-31-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16445431)
My favorite are macadamias not just for their high fat content, but for me they are very satisfying flavor wise. They've been a staple for my lc way of eating! I keep a can in the car in case I do't have time for lunch!

I love them too but I can't seem to find macadamias around here right now...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 AM.